DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Emond's field anagram...

DanielDos

So, I just thought about the name Emond's field, and quickly realized that it's an simple anagram of Demon.

This makes me pretty mad, why would he insinuate that the starting village of the heroes would have something to do about Demons?

I'm hoping for some clarification, but my respect for the author is now withering. ?

I think you are reading far to much into it, Jordan may not have even realised it was a Anagram, I've been reading WOT for 25 years and never noticed before. 
Emonds Field is where King Aemon the last King of Manetheren fell to the Trolloc Hoard, Jordan has shown right through the Books when World Building how names changed and Aemons Field becoming Emonds Field is quite plausible. 

Hi Harldin,

Thank you for your point of view, that thought crossed my mind  too, and might be so.

But the fact that Emond is one letter rotation from dEmon, is quite the coincidence.

The fact is also, that just south of Emond's Field lies Jehennah, which is one letter from Gehennah, or Hell.

So we have Demon's Field and Gehennah (Hell). 

I don't know what the odds that a person can randomly come up with such names (or close anagram), so close to each other, just by coincidence, but it makes me, a believer of Jesus Christ, not want to continue my reread of the series...

I'll just quote some Scripture if that's ok here:

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

"For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open." Luke 8:17

Have a lovely day,

Daniel

Edited by DanielDos

I noticed that Gehennah/Jehennah thing too, but since Jehennah plays a very minor part in the entire series, I thought it was just the author, who obviously knew something of the Bible, playing with words (Worth pointing out that Gehinnom was a valley near Jerusalem (The Old City) where rubbish was burnt?). I mean, FWVLIW, in Tolkien's legendarium, he has Moria, which happens to be the name usually spelt Moriah in translations stemming from the KJ/AV translation - but which is spelt Moria in the Catholic tradition translations. In Canaan, Moria/h is a mountain city; in Middle Earth it's a cave city. Significance? Blowed if I know!)

I think you're reading too much into it.

1 hour ago, DanielDos said:

Hi Harldin,

Thank you for your point of view, that thought crossed my mind  too, and might be so.

But the fact that Emond is one letter rotation from dEmon, is quite the coincidence.

The fact is also, that just south of Emond's Field lies Jehennah, which is one letter from Gehennah, or Hell.

So we have Demon's Field and Gehennah (Hell). 

I don't know what the odds that a person can randomly come up with such names (or close anagram), so close to each other, just by coincidence, but it makes me, a believer of Jesus Christ, not want to continue my reread of the series...

I'll just quote some Scripture if that's ok here:

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

"For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open." Luke 8:17

Have a lovely day,

Daniel

I’m an Atheist so i will respect Dragonmount by not continuing this discussion 

So you come into a fan forum discussing a book series only to announce that you're not going to read the books because you did some infantile mental gymnastics that nobody suggested, and said gymnastics left you uncomfortable given your commitments to other mental gymnastics you're committed to related to another book, which wasn't even written in the same language, let alone using the same words?  Do you play songs backwards looking for hidden Satanic references too?  

Do everybody a favor.  Go away.  Don't read the books, and don't try to talk to anybody about what you don't know about.  Don't try to talk to anybody about that other book either, as that one's pretty clearly over your head too.  And for the love of the supposed inspiration of that latter book, don't procreate.  There's enough self-absorbed idiots in the world.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:06 AM, Thrasymachus said:

So you come into a fan forum discussing a book series only to announce that you're not going to read the books because you did some infantile mental gymnastics that nobody suggested, and said gymnastics left you uncomfortable given your commitments to other mental gymnastics you're committed to related to another book, which wasn't even written in the same language, let alone using the same words?  Do you play songs backwards looking for hidden Satanic references too?  

Do everybody a favor.  Go away.  Don't read the books, and don't try to talk to anybody about what you don't know about.  Don't try to talk to anybody about that other book either, as that one's pretty clearly over your head too.  And for the love of the supposed inspiration of that latter book, don't procreate.  There's enough self-absorbed idiots in the world.

???????????

totally agree, well put.

i lurked for a while hoping to find timely updates on the tv show production, but i saw this and i must try to clear this misunderstanding.

robert jordan used a lot of real world mythology as inspiration for names, among other things. the idea is that the world of the wheel of time is both a distant past and a distant future of our world, and some of our myths are those stories twisted by time and retelling until they were unrecognizable.

for example, the dark one's name is shai'tan, which is the name of the devil according to islam - itself derived from the satan of christian/judaic tradition. rand al'thor is meant to evoke both the thor of nordic mythology, and king arthur, while perrin comes from the ancient slavic god perun, that was incorporated in christian tradition as saint elyas; there is an elyas who will be important for perrin. and there are several points of contact between those characters and the mythological characters who influenced their names. the trolloc are troll-orcs.

there are long essays showing points of contact between the characters and places of the wheel of time and mythology from all around the world, from the monotheistic religions to ancient nordic mythology, to induism, the cycle of king arthur, and many others. those are intentional.

so, if you are afraid that the wheel of time is a book on demonology filled with subliminal messages to worship the devil, that's utterly ridiculous. and by the way, subliminal messages don't work that way. some things, though, are intentionally meant to evoke things from real world mythologym, or hystory.

that said, is emond/demon and jehannah/gehenna a relevant connection? the names may be partially inspired, certainly, but there is no further connection. emond field has nothing to do with demons, except maybe the trollocs that come to attack it, and jehannah isn't ever even seen throughout the whole 14 books.