DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A tiddle discrepancy

Siswaiaman

Im here with a small problem. Was sitting around, doing nothing, going over my wot library, ect, ect, and a little thing popped out at me. for those who hate bringing up the little details, im sorry.

Most of the stuff im refering to is tSR nd tDR if anyone wants to double check on it. In the chapter before Moirane attempts to attack belal in tDR she asks loial what he knows about him. He talks about the netweaver, his jealousy of Lews Therin, ect, AND how belal helped raze the hall of servants. in tSR in the ter'angeal of the past he sees, in the hall of servants, AFTER the sealing of the bore and the forsaken, the women aes sedai talking... ect ect.

How can the hall still be standing if belal had razed it...? am i missing something?

Good one, I'll add another I just found. In the chapter where Suian is deposed she claimes thatthere had never been a rebellion from within the tower, yet later she tells Egwene of a number of them. Is she lying to Egwene or is this an error?

In Jonai's description its clear that the Hall of the Servants isn't strictly a hall. Its a rather large building, that contains many rooms and offices, and possibly a ceremonial Hall of the Servants.

There is a lack of description for the actual hall, or the building itself. The one thing we really have to go on (aside from muddy floors) is the description of the area.

Jonai hurried down the empty streets, trying not to look at shattered buildings and dead chora trees. All dead. At least the last of the long abandoned jo-cars had been hauled away.

It is odd that the stairs and what not seem intact enough to not warrant mentioning.

There was a Hall of Servants in every city and town... even if it was just one particular Aes Sedai's house, designated to be the Hall for that town. Certainly the one in Paaran Disen seems to be the pre-eminant Hall, but who knows... maybe Be'lal razed a different Hall.

Speaking of tiny, little mistakes, when Moiraine, and later in their lesson with Verin, are starting to teach Nynaeve and Egwene to channel, they have them close their eyes. In later books it is made very clear that you have to see to channel. Nothing I'd dare chide RJ about, though.

If I recall, when Siuan was saying there had never been a rebellion, she specifically said there had never been a rebellion "that broke the tower." Also, she was speaking, I believe, in front of Min, who would never be told of any rebellion in the secret histories.

Elwin, they probably were closing thier eyes as an aid to focus, to help them imagine and concentrate themselves as a flower or what not.

When the full Hall meets' date=' with all the Sitters, you'll learn your mistake. Too late! There has never been a rebellion inside the Tower; a thousand years from now they'll be using your fate to teach novices what happens to rebels.[/quote']

The 'guest list' is

The door crashed open, and she straightened furiously as more than a dozen women strode into her study, led by Elaida. All wore their shawls, most red-fringed, but cool-faced Alviarin, a White, was at Elaida's side, and Joline Maza, a slender Green, and plump Shemerin of the Yellow came close behind with Danelle, her big blue eyes not dreamy at all. In fact, at least one woman from every Ajah except the Blue.

Suian doesn't say that there have been no recorded rebellions' date=' she says that there have been no rebellions, yet she tells Egwene later that there have been, and that she's known about them since she became Amrylin.[/quote']

To whom did she make that first comment? If it was anyone other than the new Amyrlin, Keeper, or a Sitter she would not have said recorded rebellions. She may not be Amyrlin or even Aes Sedai anymore but that doesn't mean she's gonna go around blurting out things the Tower wants hidden.

Actually she thinks it. She never says it. It could be a lie, or simply a self-delusion. She could have been thinking on the fact that there has never been an open rebellion... she'd be wrong, but the oaths do not stop such delusionment. And there would absolutley be an argument for a women in her position to think that at that time.

Okay, I found the scene I was thinking of, and I wasn't completely right, but not completely wrong, either. It's in TSR, when Min is sneaking Siuan and Leane out of the tower: Her face twisted more, until Min thought she might begin crying. "Artur Hawkwing could not do it, but we did it ourselves." Edge of tears or not, her voice was fierce. "The Light help us, we have broken the Tower."

Those quotes I provivded are from TSR, when Elaida jumps Siuan. She says that to the sitters Elaida had with her as a way to intimidate them, and fails. Its in Ch47 The Truth of a Viewing.

There are two possibilities I see; one, the oath doesn't prevent her from accidentally lying when speaking extemporaneously; two, the word 'inside' could mean that the previous rebellions were somehow outside the tower.

Those quotes I provivded are from TSR' date=' when Elaida jumps Siuan. She says that to the sitters Elaida had with her as a way to intimidate them, and fails. Its in Ch47 The Truth of a Viewing.

There are two possibilities I see; one, the oath doesn't prevent her from accidentally lying when speaking extemporaneously; two, the word 'inside' could mean that the previous rebellions were somehow outside the tower.[/quote']

Not quite sure if this applies because I really have no earthly idea what extemporaneous means without looking it up.... :P

But in New Spring, Suian is ranting to Moiraine shortly after they're raised about how hard they're being worked. She tries to say she never jumped that fast when she was a novice and she literally chokes on the words. Moiraine hands her a glass of water but it's a while before she can even drink. Then she says...well not when we were accepted anyway.

I think the key is in the word "inside".

Archived