DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

There's Really No Such Thing as a Weaving Wheel

Guest mrcrumley

Guest mrcrumley

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills."  Except that there's not really such a thing as a "weaving wheel." Cloth and tapestries are woven on a loom, not a wheel.

Is it possible RJ confused a spinning wheel (that makes yarn or thread) with a weaving loom (that weaves cloth)? That seems like a REALLY big mistake to make... what with naming the whole series after it and all.

Edited by mrcrumley

I have thought of this saying in two ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermill

The Wheel is the power for the threads of The Pattern as a watermill's wheel does the same for those early factories.  Please remember, this is only their interpretation of the cosmic forces of the planet.

In a another metaphysical way;

As the Wheel weaves the threads of energy beneath it, the Pattern swirls in response much as water whirls about in a river.  The threads of the Pattern bind themselves in ways that follow the natural principles of reality.

Edited by Maedelin

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 8:38 PM, Sabio said:

Wheel as in circular, the concept that time repeats itself in WOT.  Hence never a beginning or and end since the ages repeat themselves over and over without an end.  Just like if you walk in a circle you will arrive where you started.

Yes, we all get that. But that doesn't change the fact that a RJ seems to have mixed up his metaphors.  The wheel of time seems to be a metaphor for a yarn wheel, but a yarn wheel doesn't actually weave cloth, it creates yarn or thread.  So it doesn't make sense for a yarn wheel to create "age lace".  

Edited by Dagon Thyne

I think things are being taken way to literal, I am pretty sure RJ knew what he was saying.  Weaving and threads of the pattern way probably the best way to describe things.  I don't think he meant it to be taken literally as the Loom of Time doesn't sound as good..  

Wheel describes the pattern as being circular.

Thread is your part in pattern

Weaving best way to described pattern being created combining all the threads together.

I am assuming this was just the best way for RJ to describe the pattern and not that he thought there was a weaving wheel.

Edited by Sabio