DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Creative Uses for Cuendillar?

solarz

1 hour ago, Wulf said:

If cuendillar truly cannot bend or break...  Then pushing on one end will move the other end exactly simultaneously.

If it had any give at all then a large enough force could bend or break it.  If it had any give at all, it would behave like regular matter, and pushing on one end of a cuendillar stick would move the atoms that make it up infinitesimally closer until the pressure wave reached the end of the rod and restored it to its original size.

But if nothing breaks or bends it, then the atoms don't move closer when you push it.  There's not a pressure wave going down its length.  Every atom along its entire length moves in sync, staying exactly the same distance from the others.

You've got yourself a faster-than-light communication stick.

There's not a lot that could be used for that would impress people in the Third Age, but faster than light communication, even over short distances, could do some neat things for us.

Assuming we take everybody at their word on cuendillar's properties, anyway.

I don't think the indestructibility of cuendillar implies the absolute rigidity of its molecular structure. We know that the True Power can destroy cuendillar, and we are told that it absorbs any force attempting to break it.

To me, this implies that cuendillar's atomic or molecular structure is more like memory foam instead of a rock. You can apply force in an attempt to change or break its bonds, but it will just return to its normal state. Of course, the threshold of force necessary to even change those bonds is probably very high to begin with.

I suppose that's a less "out there" interpretation of it, and would yield to it being a more defensible position.

I've always been curious every time they say that any force used against it only makes it stronger.

How does the strength of something 'unbreakable' increase, and how would an average person test that?  Wouldn't the theory just stop at "that stuff doesn't break" instead of needing to guess at a strength increase?

On 5/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, Wulf said:

I suppose that's a less "out there" interpretation of it, and would yield to it being a more defensible position.

I've always been curious every time they say that any force used against it only makes it stronger.

How does the strength of something 'unbreakable' increase, and how would an average person test that?  Wouldn't the theory just stop at "that stuff doesn't break" instead of needing to guess at a strength increase?

"Unbreakable" is subjective. We know that cuendillar is breakable by the Dark One's power. It's quite possible that it can be broken in other ways, we just don't know about it.

Scientists in the Age of Legends probably knew the limits of cuendillar, hence why they talk about it being "stronger", and in the Third Age, people only remember fragments of that knowledge.

• 2 months later...
On 10/08/2018 at 6:30 PM, Wulf said:

For a super-fun prank novices could get a bowl full of iron filings, wait for somebody to fall asleep, and then dip that person's hand in it before converting it to cuendillar.

Remind me never to novice with you lol :laugh:

On 8/10/2018 at 1:30 PM, Wulf said:

For a super-fun prank novices could get a bowl full of iron filings, wait for somebody to fall asleep, and then dip that person's hand in it before converting it to cuendillar.

Quick, how many ways can you think of to get that person's hand out?

1. Wait for the Dark One to corrupt the cuendillar

2. Kill the person, then convince the Dark One to reincarnate them

3. ???

If you entered T'a'r in the flesh you could probably imagine the cuendillar off.  Even though things revert to how they were when you leave, I'd be surprised if "Hand enclosed in block of cuendillar" is one of the variables that gets saved on open/exit.

Hey, here's a question.

What happens if you try to open a gateway so that the edge passes through cuendillar?

4 hours ago, Wulf said:

If you entered T'a'r in the flesh you could probably imagine the cuendillar off.  Even though things revert to how they were when you leave, I'd be surprised if "Hand enclosed in block of cuendillar" is one of the variables that gets saved on open/exit.

Hey, here's a question.

What happens if you try to open a gateway so that the edge passes through cuendillar?

As per RJ, the gateway gets nudged away.

Good idea with the T'A'R:

3. Get them into T'A'R in the flesh and imagine the cuendillar off.

4. ???

Edited by solarz

Just now, Sabio said:

Balefire the person who did it.  I assume you would wake up rather quickly after it happened so a quick balefiring should do it.

Good incentive to do it to their dominant hand then, so that they can't do the fancy jazz hands that most AS need to pewpew.

• 1 month later...

Some great outside the box thinking in this thread.

My addition would be open a gate to iron core in earth how ever many meters above the ground you wanted.  Wait for the molten arc to get near the ground and then open the second gate of water to cool the mile long iron bar you just created.  Build your palace around it accordingly.  

On 9/21/2018 at 9:27 PM, Fulseman said:

Wait for the molten arc to get near the ground and then open the second gate of water to cool the mile long iron bar you just created.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_explosion

" A steam explosion is an explosion caused by violent boiling or flashing of water into steam, occurring when water is ... heated by the interaction of molten metals "

You might wanna stand back a bit.