DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Plot hole: Mat's death

agreddon

1 hour ago, shintemaster said:

There's another thing to keep in mind. All the people that tell us that a person blows the horn and is bound to it are Aes Sedai. Just because they believe it doesn't make it true.

Didn't the heros of the horn even say it?  Didn't they mention Mat's connection to the horn when they were called at Falme?

You may be right, but my recollection is that they say he is the hornsounder and he is connected to the horn. The don't specifically say that is until death. It's also arguable whether they know as well. One of the overriding themes in this series is that of myth and belief. What people believe or know isn't always the truth.

8 hours ago, shintemaster said:

You may be right, but my recollection is that they say he is the hornsounder and he is connected to the horn. The don't specifically say that is until death. It's also arguable whether they know as well. One of the overriding themes in this series is that of myth and belief. What people believe or know isn't always the truth.

That's a good point, I don't think the Heroes ever tell Mat that only he could sound the horn until his death. I believe it was the Aes Sedai who thought that, just as they thought the Heroes would fight for the Shadow if a darkfriend blew it.

I think the only thing about the Horn is that you can only blow it when thinking of salvation. In a way, that makes it almost impossible for it to be blown by a darkfriend in the first place, unless said darkfriend was hoping for salvation from the Dark (like Ingtar).

Well even if a DF did blow it you saw in TGH and AMOL the heroes needed the banner and dragon to do anything.  So even if they showed up for a DF they would simply of looked at him unable to do anything.

I reread the section in AMOL they neither confirm nor deny it.  Mat says so I guess that tree did claim me and they responded it wasn't the tree, but a time you can't remember.   All they really said was they almost missed the fight and to take better care of that which is given to you or something like that.  Even the companion the section about the horn doesn't confirm or deny the no one else can blow the horn.  I did find it interesting they didn't appear where the horn was blown or even where the Dragon was at.  But where the banner was located.

Edited by Sabio

This whole debate is why balefire nearly unravels the pattern. It by definition creates a plot hole something that happened also didn't happen but indirect things still happened.

Here's two new scenarios.

Person A balefires person B burning his thread back by 1 minute. 30 seconds later person C balefires  person A also removing a minute of time. Is person B alive again?

Person A is dead before they balefire B but person B is dead at a point in time unaffected by the second balefire so does the death still stand (I'm going both dead)

What if person C is stronger and wipes 2 minutes from time. Is B dead now the affect of the 2nd balefire now goes back to a point in time which the 1st balefire does not affect. Does that mean person B is alive?

Balefire clearly zero sums events and people and also locations too. Much like the Elder Scrolls regarding the Dwemer and the Forests of Cyrodil. Both are remembered, except the Ruins of the Dwemer remain, but the forests are remembered only by those that travelled through them before Tiber Septim removed the forests. The effect is much like how the effects of balefire works.