DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What did we miss? BS's cryptic recent remarks...

Orderofolde

So apparently the entire WOT community missed something big about the ending of the WOT series, or at least no one has asked Brandon about it, so what did we miss or take at face value that meant something else?  Maybe since it is a BIG reveal, BS can give us a hint of where to start looking?  (In a recent interview about hi latest book a fan asked for a mysterious or cryptic remark and he said this about the WOT instead, that fans missed something big about the ending.)  You can find it at the very bottom of this page, the last question in the "Fan's Questions" section.  https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900003841/qanda-brandon-sanderson-on-the-importance-of-fiction-and-how-writing-influences-his-lds-faith.html

Edited by Orderofolde
To add link to article

M’illumino
D’immenso.

WOT is complex but not that complex. I mean rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan covered up to 90-92% of WOT ideas/theories, and later raswrj was used as a basis of Wotmania and Theoryland (other sites, like DM, were never serious regarding serious theorizing - sorry, Jason - I'm talking about digging up every little detail, combing through everything with the finest magnifying glass (what a nice mixed metaphor)). We had exceptionally good theorizers (I miss them so much every day...), and I greatly doubt that their output had not covered everything. (Sometimes RJ had to improvise on the fly during interviews, because even he did not know the answers for everything.)

Last, but not least, we talk about Brandon Sanderson. All of his hinting/tipping, as far as I know, turned out to be jokes. He loves the spotlight, he's so full of himself - remember, when he told us "hahaha, I was the first to read Jordan's notes, I was the first, hahaha" for Rand's sake, man, mature a little bit, and now he's still the same. He's hopeless.

And answering to your question: "What did we miss?" Nothing. It's just the abbreviation of his name...

I do not believe that at all. The issue is the ones that could dissect this book and discover what he meant very quickly were either turned off by another writer finish the books and how different he was from RJ, or moved on because of other interests caught there attention. I think something big is in there, we just need to connect the dots that are there. I also think it is something that RJ intended, too.

RJ was the same way.  Asmo deaths should be obivious, tossing out hints here about other things, intentionally being vague with some answers, or twisting his words etc..  No matter what RJ said about Asmo's death it was never obvious.  With some work you could come up with a good guess.  But obvious should mean from reading and not having to start writing down ever forsaken and going trough process of elimination to come up with a guess.  WOT was complex because a lot of those theories took a lot of work to come up with.

I think it's very likely about Seanchan's capture of Moghedien.

That would be like the Roman empire having access to someone from our times. Even if that person was just a financial advisor, like Moghedien was.

In one fell swoop, the Seanchan empire has gained every advantage Randlanders had, with the exception of the Asha'man. Indeed, we learn from Avi'd visions that the Raven Empire was able to destroy all Randlander opposition, and only the Black Tower was able to still hold out using guerilla tactics.

More importantly, Moghedien can provide the Seanchan with knowledge about how the Age of Legends was run, and the technologies that existed then. Very likely it was instrumental behind the technological leaps we see in Avi's visions.

16 hours ago, solarz said:

I think it's very likely about Seanchan's capture of Moghedien.

That would be like the Roman empire having access to someone from our times. Even if that person was just a financial advisor, like Moghedien was.

In one fell swoop, the Seanchan empire has gained every advantage Randlanders had, with the exception of the Asha'man. Indeed, we learn from Avi'd visions that the Raven Empire was able to destroy all Randlander opposition, and only the Black Tower was able to still hold out using guerilla tactics.

More importantly, Moghedien can provide the Seanchan with knowledge about how the Age of Legends was run, and the technologies that existed then. Very likely it was instrumental behind the technological leaps we see in Avi's visions.

I can see that this would seem like a fitting ending, but there are darkfriends among all races and peoples, including DF Damane who might release her at some future point.  I think that those Dreadlords the Ogier keep have more chance at remaining out of play than her.

16 hours ago, Sabio said:

RJ was the same way.  Asmo deaths should be obivious, tossing out hints here about other things, intentionally being vague with some answers, or twisting his words etc..  No matter what RJ said about Asmo's death it was never obvious.  With some work you could come up with a good guess.  But obvious should mean from reading and not having to start writing down ever forsaken and going trough process of elimination to come up with a guess.  WOT was complex because a lot of those theories took a lot of work to come up with.

Yes, RJ basically killed Asmo off using a convenient means of not putting in the work to do it properly and he was very amused at the reaction and theories that spun off from it.  He'd never intended that to happen and it delighted him.  It was why the equally vague sherlock letter he leaped on praising it and agreeing that it didn't matter.  He had to write hints into how many books afterwards to leave a trail pointing at someone.

Perhaps we focused on the right thing but went in the wrong direction with it.  Rand is amused that he could light the pipe with a thought.  Lan was killed(Sheathes the Sword), but then we see Lan rise, albeit wounded, and later Rand lights the pipe.  Could he have spun the threads to create the perfect balance, the DO locked away, Lan semi-healed, Egwene and others dead honoring their memory, and the others alive, something so close to what would have been anyway, and the flame he creates indicates that it is all still his creation, a perfect one?

19 hours ago, Sabio said:

Maybe, she might try to volunteer information in hopes of being treated better.  That would mean Moghi was always destined to be captured for her vision to be true.  You could say it's a tie then since Avi captured Gren.

From what I remember, Avi used enough of compulsion on Hessalam to melt her mind, so it's possible that she would be useless in that regard.

Furthermore, the Aiel might be willing to learn new weaves, but I don't see them having the resources or the vision to make things like trains, guns, and light bulbs. The Seanchan, on the other hand...

The aiel do not need to make all that, Randland already has steamweagons.  That's why Rand formed the academies so advancements can occur. The Seanchan are without a academy,the down side to the Seanchan is they see channelers as animals, so they have no freedom to learn new weaves.  I still disagree with how they got gateways with Elaida offering it to them and wanting to give Aes Sedai to take her place.