DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

*pokes and prods*

And?

BTW, I suppose I should post this in another thread, but I'm not...

this is the discussion Mystica and I had about Stone Dogs *coughs*years*coughs* ago... I don't see anything in the mean time to have changed it so I'm moving forward. 

Kyn:

Shae'en M'taal Advancement;

Furthering your Training (for WS 11):

In an RP (or two or three), do the following:

1.     Demonstrate proficiency in all the weapons of the Aiel (bow, knife, speak and buckler). 

2.     Demonstrate strength, stamina, speed and dedication.

3.      Participate in a discussion with the Society Leader/Tester (and others, if desired) about the function of the Stone Dogs and the Philosphy of Shae'en M'taal (topics include Ji’e’Toh, No Retreat, when to assert their strengths and when to rely on other Societies for when those groups Strengths outstrip the Stone Dogs).

You will then be WS 11.

Initiation and Welcome to Shae'en M'taal (for WS 12);

In an RP (or two or three) do the following:

1.      Demand entrance to the Shae’en M’taal Roof. You will be refused entrance as you are not yet a Stone Dog.

2.      Sneak or Fight your way into the Shae’en M’taal Roof, there is more Ji in fighting your way in, although just gaining entrance is enough.  Remember that all the Warriors within are of higher WS than you and so this is very much a ceremonial fight, although your Character will not know that when he makes his decision and also while he is fighting/sneaking his way in.

3.      Be welcomed into the Society by the Society Leader. Welcome to Shae’en M’taal!

You will then be WS 12.

Mytica:

I like the set up but I do have a knee-jerk reaction with the 'sneak of fight your way in to the roof' and 'demand entrance to the roof'. That seems to go against the Aiel sense of honor. Going in to a roof that you don't belong to is shameful, no Aiel would do that. To make it part of the initiation would be very odd considering.

The Maidens kept following Rand claiming his roof to be theirs as they claimed his honour. Until he declared the building he was in to be the Roof of those born at the two rivers. Then they didn't enter the building anymore. It was the only thing that kept them out.

Even clan chiefs ask to enter the roof of their wives and can be denied entrance. This is one of the deep inbedded traditions.

Take a look at the system Quibby came up with for the Sovin'Nai Society (this is an adjusted version of the old system that was used way back when): http://www.dragonmou...ound/?p=2864784

Number 2. = WS 11

Number 3. = WS 12

(this is just as an example. The only example I have so far. Obviously the Stone Dogs will have their own system of initiation).

Do you think you could come up with something else for WS12? I really don't think the forcing oneself in to a roof is proper Aiel behavior.

Kyn:

It is more meant to be a proof that they belong under the Stone Dog's roof. So, it could be worded differently to convey that, but the actions are the same. Also, as I recall, it is not impermissible to enter another's roof when on a raid, or when collecting one's bride, so there are certain circumstances that allow for entering a roof without permission. With there being no actual information on what it takes to become a member of a society other than what Quibby has supposed in that information you gave me. 

Myst:

I don't agree with the comparison to a raid or a wedding. The first is a seriously hostile act, the second is a conscented response in line with tradition 'after' the female has laid her bridal wraith at the male's feet. So, in truth, he did get permission to take her as everyone in the Aiel culture knows the consequence of laying a bridal wreath at someone's feet.

Neither can be held as example to an un-initiated interested candidate to a Society who is neither engaged in an act of war against the Society/Clan nor did he receive permission of any sort to enter the roof through tradition inbedded in Aiel historical culture.

The act of forcing oneself in to a roof without permission is simply not done (except as an act of war, which is what raids are and therefore by definition not something one does to get on someone else's good side).

What about this idea:

1. The candidate requests entrance to the roof and acceptance in to the Society. He is refused. He then proceeds in challenging the Society to test him and tries to force his way in. They answer his challenge and he is made to run the gauntlet, facing the best of the Society in all elements of battle. The test ends when the candidate lays unconscious on the floor. They never win this challenge. But they have to see it through to pass this stage. No Stone Dog runs from battle, no matter how hard it gets or how hopeless it seems.

2. The candidate recovers from his challenge and is summoned by the Society Leader. He is told he passed the first stage of the test but now there is a more dangerous one awaiting him. He is to take part in the next raid and procure at least one Gai'shan from the enemy camp for the Society. The manner in which this is done is more important than actually getting one. This test covers the stealth, strategic and tactical knowledge and skills of the candidate. The candidate succeeds in the test, but with much difficulty.

3. The Society Leader welcomes him to the Society and introduces him as their new brother. There's much oosquai till long in the night.

Kyn:

This works for me... also, poke your head in the training thread on the Training Grounds and approve WS 10 so I can move on to WS 11... and 12...

Myst:

Alright, WS 10 approved, you're good to go. I was waiting for us to finish the initiation system for the Stone Dogs to avoid confusion in case you'd already start RPing it before we reached a final system. Got noobs to think about hopefully in the future lol.

Kyn:

Cool, going to solo the was 11 portion.

Also,

To be clear #1 above is for WS 11 

and 

#2 & 3 above for WS 12.

Agreed?

Myst:

yup, sounds good. Looking forward to reading your piece.

btw, adding Kathleen to this convo so she can get up to date on the new Stone Dog initiation system.

Whatever you agreed with Myst is fine with me, Kyn.

As a heads up, there's a new Aiel member incoming. :smile:  He wrote a bio for use on the Turnings board where he's currently RP'ing but submitted it to the FL email. Having discussed it, he's (DM handle: NotAWiseOne) about to partially rewrite so he can submit properly for approval for PSW use. Told him he can post on the public FL board with questions etc meantime and gave him all the wiki and website links.

Man, I've been wanting to bring out my Aiel character I had back in... 2001...2002? ... but it's so hard to play a Far Dareis Mai... I mean... inspiration wise. I love her, but I can't RP her.. or I'm just not creative enough :(

I need to find some serious personality inspiration. I think if I had her with a cast of personalities (as in RP her NPCs and PCs) it might be more interesting.

What interesting things are happening with the Aiel?

• 5 weeks later...