DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistress of Novices, Black Ajah

Kesiera_Sedai

Did anyone else notice that all the Mistresses of Novices were Black Ajah? Merean, Sherman, and Alviarin were all Black Ajah. The only one who isn't is the one Egwene appointed after she cleansed the Tower. Was this supposed to be some kind of inside joke? Was RJ implying that principals/deans are evil?

With all the spanking that went on, the position required a twisted person.

LMAO.......I think Jordan had sadist tendencies...I never saw so many adults get spankings in my life...lol...Imagine going to a school where there was a woman whose sole purpose was to spank all the little (adult) girls who've been naughty...See what I mean?

@kesiera,

"did anyone else notice that all the mistresses of novices were black?"

not exactly,it's far better than you think,here is the list of all the mistresses

of novices during the two and a half years of wheel of time journey:

1.unified white tower under siuan,sheriam(black).

2.white tower under elaida,silviana(red),deposed by elaida.

3.white tower under elaida,katerine(black).

4.salidar aes sedai under egwene,tiana(grey)

5.unified white tower under egwene,rosil(yellow).

alviarin was never mistress of novices.

merean redhill(black),was mistress of novices before rand was born,

she was killed by moiraine when rand was about 1 year old.

It actually makes sense, who better to watch the noivices and see who might have traits or personalities that would fit in well with the Black Ajah.  Since the Mistress pretty much has a free hand, it's the perfect job for finding potential recruits. 

Jack is right, Alviarin was never a Misstress of Noivices.

Spanking for novices made sense because the were treated like children,  and that's how one punishes children.  ELadia and an Aes Sedai going there I think it was more of the humiliation factor of a full Aes Sedai being reduced to a spanking, since its rare for a Aes Sedai to ask for punishment from the Mistress of Novices. I think they were also limited on how to punish a novice for bad behavior since the OP couldn't be used.  Taim had no such issues, he would use the male half to enforce discipline and punish violations.

Archived