DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

On their tallnesses

szilard

It is still a common criticism that every new character is taller than the previous one, which is not true, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that their tallnesses could be an inside joke from Jordan.

After all, our heroes start from the Shire (which was a deliberate choice), so is it possible that Rand's height correlates to our heights as a (tall) hobbit's height correlates to our heights?

Causes of the shrinking: radiation, gene manipulation, OP etc.

If anything I would say ogier to humans are roughly the same relation in size as humans to hobbits. Rand's tall but he's not inhumanly tall.

Edit: Oh wait, I misread your question. No, I don't think Randland humans are hobbit sized, but it is fun to think of ogier as being the human-sized ones.

(It looks like you are the only one here who agrees with us.) It a twist!. 

• 3 weeks later...

According what I've read, the Wheel of Time is supposed to take place sometime in our future, so even though they lived like medievals did, biologically there's no comparison. In fact, from that point of view it makes sense that the average height in Randland would be somewhat tall compared to what we're used. Scientists today say that eventually the average man will run about 7 feet tall, with women averaging about 6'6"...Can u imagine.

Archived