DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Liveship traders

Guest Abaddon

Guest Barmacral

I've not read it, perhaps you could give a quick review of the series, why you liked it and such (with minimal spoilers if possible I might add)

I haven't read the Liveship Traders but The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy were excellent. Hopefully The Soldier Son Trilogy will be finished this year so I can read it.

I've heard Liveship isn't as good as Farseer or Tawny Man so I've been a little dubious about reading it.

I read them ... and they were entertaining, but not excellent. I do like the concept of Liveships, and I like the character of Paragon. Worth reading, I think.

A very basic summary:

The Liveships of Bingtown (a trading town to the south of the Six Duchies) are a true wonder of the world. A work of master-artisans and carved from "wizardwood" the most valuable substance in the world, the figureheads of the Liveships are so lifelike as to seem human. However, when three generations of the same family have died on board a Liveship it "quickens" into life. The figurehead moves speaks and has a personality of its own. A Liveship is so valuable that a family will mortgage everything for generations, including their own lives, to own one.

The story focuses mainly on the Vestrit trading family of Bingtown. Their ship, Vivacia, has just quickened. The ship becomes the focus of an argument which splits the family. The Vestrit fortunes are in trouble and Vivacia is the only hope for their recovery.

Guest Abaddon

WHAT! im amazed, out of all of the books ive read, tawny man, assasins apprentice, and soldiers son series, i think robin hobbs best are the Liveship traders.

My own favourites were the 'Fitz' books... though I did enjoy the Liveship Traders.

I certainly recommend Robin Hobb as one of the best fantasy authors about.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Liveship Traders series. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone - but as they follow the same timeline as the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy, certain things make more sense once you've read all of them. Amber is a big example of this.

They are ALL the same story. Basically FS tril, LS tril, and TM tril are all the same story. One really needs to read them all in order for better over all understanding. I mean I suppose one could leave out the live ship books but, to me they are extremely important to the over all storyline.

I've not as of yet read the Soldier's Son.

i agree with the above. i didn't enjoy the liveship books as much, but you can't really skip them either. it's a bit like skipping, oh, winter's heart. or one of the slower volumes in the wheel of time, anyway. not quite as bad as that, but not far either.

haven't read soldier's son yet either. i have the first 2 volumes, but frankly i'm burned out on waiting for books. i just don't have the strength for it anymore. while i wait for the third to come out i'm just reading shorter and/or complete books and series.

Hobb is a good writer but draws her story out to a ridiculous extent (worse than RJ, nowhere near as bad as TG though) making it hard work wading through the chaff to reach the good stuff. That said, Liveship is easily her best work. Kennitt is an awesome, multidimensional character. Nearly worthy of being in A Song of Ice and Fire, in fact.

Archived