DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Barnes & Noble to release leather Collectable Edition of The Eye of the World

szilard

with full of typos, so I will wait for the first reactions...

-----

By the way, the new book will have a slightly smaller size than the US/UK hardcover editions: 6.00(w) x 9.13(h) x (d) versus 9.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches.

The cover is ugly, dear Rand, so ugly...

Will it be leather or bonded leather (artificial leather), because B&N does not use leather anymore...

Plus, I never heard a good thing said about hardcover books by B&N except that they use acid-free paper.

Any thoughts?

Is there a full commitment to print the whole series? Is there a plan? Wait a

There are no announced plans to make similar editions for other WoT books, and no plans to provide these overseas. B&N is publishing this with assistance from Tor Books, who owns the U.S and Canadian rights.

Great, just great. So, instead of Library of America or Everyman's Library (or even HarperCollins or Oxford) Tor chooses B&N. And there is zero trust in fans, so no further announcement (idontknow TGH in February, TDR in September).

Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea.

Look, even the back cover is faulty ("The back cover includes an error in that the "ancient Aes Sedai" symbol is improperly reversed the wrong way."), so what can I say? Does anybody care about this edition? Anybody?

I'm reading the B&N forum over LibraryThing now, and I can say a good thing about them (actually two things):

1. some of their covers are nice/good (not great)

2. ThirdCamelot Posted September 23, 2011

This 2011 edition CORRECTED the 2008 editions errors...

"This 2011 'bonded leather' edition of Lovecraft's Complete Fiction, thanks Martin Anderson for help on the texts, and after comparing his long errata list of the 2008 edition, I found they were indeed corrected... (as stores had told me the opposite was likely, I thought to let others know who value this author)... This is an attractive and durably bound book... as to the 'bonded leather', it is mostly a tasteful synthetic alternative to dead animal skin, which may be a plus for some... H."

So, to quote John F Smith (General Motors): "We listened to what our customers wanted and acted on what they said. Good things happen when you pay attention."

Too bad it isn't real leather. 

You know that leather is available. It's not like they are killing animals just for this book.

I think that the whole 'I will not buy leather' thing is a (sort of) conscientious scruple. You know, like vegetarianism. (We have many plants in our home, and we think they are very similar to animals, so in the end we should eat only light. ;) )

Most of us (fans, I mean) are poor. For the old content they will not pay $15-$25-$35 again and again and again. (A side note: they say that only about 12-15% of a publisher’s budget for each book pays for paper, printing, and binding. A hard cover costs 30-40 cents. Btw, in the English section in our home library there are only 20-22 titles in hardcover, while the Hungarian section is almost 70-80%.) Even if you have middle class income, the avg. upper ceiling is $20 for a book.

I know that it's all about the benjamins, but the publisher has to face with reality: readers will not pay ugly, heavy books filled with typos and errors these days.

/Another meaningless post. Dear Rand/

• 5 weeks later...

with full of typos, so I will wait for the first reactions...

-----

By the way, the new book will have a slightly smaller size than the US/UK hardcover editions: 6.00(w) x 9.13(h) x (d) versus 9.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches.

The cover is ugly, dear Rand, so ugly...

Will it be leather or bonded leather (artificial leather), because B&N does not use leather anymore...

Plus, I never heard a good thing said about hardcover books by B&N except that they use acid-free paper.

Any thoughts?

1. The orbit edition is not leather!!!! 

2. The B&N book would be very cheap bonded leather given the $22 price tag. Bonded leather is not artificial or fake leather as there is some leather in it(scraps and other stuff blended together)

3. The book is the the same printing as the last HB reprint of EotW. Pictures from the inside show books listed up to PoD.

Just don't think I can buy it without a commitment that the whole series would be produced, what's the point?

This is my biggest concern. There is demand, so they should commit themselves to producing more volumes. Maybe they could lower the price if you order more books (I mean book 2, book 3 etc.). It would be really good if someone from TOR could inform us regularly about their plans. 

3. The book is the the same printing as the last HB reprint of EotW. Pictures from the inside show books listed up to PoD.

Is there any timeline of when to expect the next volume(s) in the series?

I highly doubt they'll reprint the entire series. Can't see that much demand for it. 

The boxed set(s) is (are) really popular. There was a very strong surge after the  annoucement (tv series).    Unfortunately many people judge the whole series on tEotW, and they don't/won't read the following books. Not to mention the length of the series, and the whole negative vibe around it (too many descriptions etc.) I always recommend tWoT to everybody

Maybe an annotated version of the series with RJ's notes. 

Dead on arrival. The notes are longer than the main series, and I see zero chance that they will publish 1600-2000 pages long books.

And I really don't support the idea after reading a few of his notes. The difference is so huge between his vision and the end-product... Maybe they should put a very selective (500-600 pages long) extract, plus his interviews (150-200 p. l.) into one book. Half Biografie biography, half "technical manual". A very silly example: Arnold's latest bio (Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story) is terrible, but his earlier streamlined bio (Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder) is excellent.

Edited by szilard

• 1 year later...

Hahaha! I actually came back to drag dragonmount after many years just to search for this topic!

I rather like the Barnes & Noble leather bound Editions and was hoping to find others who might reach out to Tor publishing and try to get the rest of the series published that way. I really is that that's not super fancy leather, but the price point is nice and, at least to me, the books look decent.