DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the broken crown - red herring?

Anajon

we have discussed this before the broken crown, I mean and the common understanding seems to be that it is the crown of Saldea and that Faile, who is the next female in the line of Royalty will be queen one day, soon.

NOW, I was just looking around some WOT stuff and it hit me that in §Crown of Swords" the is a chapter called "A broken crown" - and Faile and Perrin are both there and have some major part in bringing Colaveare down who grabbed the crown of Cairhien - which gets broken and remade by Rand in the chapter.

So - could this have been the crown Min saw? What about Faile's father mentioning The broken crown, just coincidence - or is it a play of words to call the chapter - A broken crown...?

Guest Fire Lord

I personally never have understood the Broken Crown thing, though I'd say it refers to Faile and Saldea.

Why would Bashere comment about it if it's a reference to Colavaere (sp)?

She had not yet crowned herself, so he had no way of knowing it'd be broken.

But Tenobia and Bashere would both have to die for Faile to have the crown, right? I don't see (for the moment) any other way for RJ to pull it off without going GRRM on us, but meh, I think he still has a few surprises up his sleeves.

to me the broken crown has always seemed like it refers to something more than "just" the crown of saldaea, but im not sure. i dont think RJ would have to go to the same extremes as George R R Martin though to kill off both bashere and tenobia, theyre in fairly high profile locales and positions

When Perrin meets Bashere for the first time and they discuss Faile, Bashere mentions it directly to Perrin.

LoC, Chapter 46 "Beyond the Gate".

Bashere filled the cups and thrust one at Perrin, gesturing peremptorily to one of the chairs. He wore a smile behind his mustache, but eyes and smile could have belonged to two different men. The eyes could have driven nails. "I suppose Zarine told you all about my estates before you...married her. All about the Broken Crown. She was always talkative as a girl."

What like Aram, Faile and Berelain? Sorry Trib4l, I think sometimes I can't help but spell it out.

Barnabas, I'll preface what I'm about to say with "you are entitled to your opinion". Why look for some oblique explaination to a prophecy/viewing when we have a relatively clear cut fullfillment of it right here?

Archived