DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[2015] Avengers: Age of Ultron

Red2111

so i saw it and while it wasn't as good as the first one, it was a very good sequel.

they inserted more random humor in it, so there were funny moment throughout, but no Hulk vs Loki "fast-forward to that scene when it comes out on DVD and rewatch 100 times and still find it hilarious" moments.

they built a lot on Widow and Hawk Eye ...  especially Hawk Eye, which is great.  its nice to see some back story there and get to know the two avengers that everyone knows the least about.  imo, Hawk Eye stole the movie *nods*

the plot with the Hulk, i liked it.  for Civil War tot happen, Hulk has to be out of the picture.  not sure how i feel about them changing how that happened ...  but theres a simplicity of showing the Hulk take things into his own hands rather than forcing Tony to do it. 

my fav fight was Hulk Buster vs Hulk  ^_^

i also love how they started to lay the ground work for both Ragnrok & Civil War in this ...  and it seems that the infinity stones play a part in Ragnrok, if Thors nightmare can be held to any account for foreshadowing.

i didn't see the love story angle between Widow and Hulk ...  that took me by surprise *nods*   reminded me of Lupin & Tonks from the HP series tbh.  i actually always thought Widow & Hawk Eye would make a good couple ...  so also seeing Hawk Eye has a family took me by surprise as well.

Ultron himself was fantastic.  the animation, especially for his mouth, was wonderful.  i loved his persona and wish they had spent more time with him tbh.  the voice actor was brilliant as well.  i thought it was John Lithgow xD  but its not.

Vision was interesting.  i loved the show down at the end with him and Ultron.  i was taken aback by him picking up Thors hammer *nods*

the area where most of the action happened made me think automatically of Victor Von Doom.  as did the nanobot technology they used to build visons body and heal Hawk Eye.  i wonder if they plan on doing that arc, especially with Fury out of hiding now.

the twins themselves were interesting ...  though i'm not sure how much i like the change to their story's, considering the male was supposed to be the same kid that helped free Magneto in Days of Future Past, and they are supposed to be Magneto's kids ......  bubba and i are in a disagreement right now.  theres a german Hydra dude named Strucker in the movie, but his name is pronounced similar to Stryker.  in this movie, he makes the twins using power gotten from the infinity stone in loki's staff.  BUT later Ultron goes to Africa and gets Adamantium for his body, which was supposed to be from Struckers reserve.

i think that Strucker, was supposed to actually be Stryker; bubba disagrees.

and of course ...  the ending scene.   i cannot WAIT for Thanos!!!   i love the little grin he gives when he says "oh well, i guess i have to get them myself"  gave me chills.  hopefully he'll make and appearance in Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2, but i think we will for sure see him in Thor: Ragnrok *nods*

• Community Administrator

so i saw it and while it wasn't as good as the first one, it was a very good sequel.

I can agree with that!

How was the 3d though? When I saw it, the 3D Felt very flat. Like I was watching a movie shot in 2D, Broadcast in 3D.

My brother thought (he saw it elsewhere) that the 3D was the best he'd ever seen. Which makes me wonder If I got ripped off.

Considering the male was supposed to be the same kid that helped free Magneto in Days of Future Past, and they are supposed to be Magneto's kids

Well, movie wise we know that twin wasn't quicksilver. Whether via cannon it was supposed to be or not, I dunno/nor care. Obviously he had a similar but not as good power as Quicksilver.

BUT later Ultron goes to Africa and gets Adamantium for his body, which was supposed to be from Struckers reserve.

They didn't get Adamantium? They got something else? At least, that's how I took it..

I saw this when it came out here, I agree that while awesome first avengers was better.

Well, movie wise we know that twin wasn't quicksilver. Whether via cannon it was supposed to be or not, I dunno/nor care. Obviously he had a similar but not as good power as Quicksilver.

Actually it is two different takes on the same character, this is the rights thing between Marvel and Fox, so yes, it is Quicksilver.

They didn't get Adamantium? They got something else? At least, that's how I took it..

They got Vibranium, what the Cap's shield is made of. Adamantium is property of X-Men and marvel isn't allowed to use it in their movie franchise. While different in the comic book universe, they are functionally the same thing in the movies.

and of course ...  the ending scene.   i cannot WAIT for Thanos!!!   i love the little grin he gives when he says "oh well, i guess i have to get them myself"  gave me chills.  hopefully he'll make and appearance in Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2, but i think we will for sure see him in Thor: Ragnrok *nods*

Response in spoilers:

He's the main villain in the next two Avengers movies (it is a two part movie). Reportedly the next Avengers films will be largely b-cast (so some of the new characters they have coming up, plus guardians, etc and the A-listers in this one won't be in it. A money issue, I understand.

Actually it is two different takes on the same character, this is the rights thing between Marvel and Fox, so yes, it is Quicksilver.

Ah. They didn't 'name him' as such in the avengers movie, different origins ect. (for obvious reasons) but I didn't realize the quicksilver character in x-men had a twin sister? But.. then with comics with all the different Universii, anythings freakin' possible.  Hard to keep all the facts straight.

They got Vibranium, what the Cap's shield is made of. Adamantium is property of X-Men and marvel isn't allowed to use it in their movie franchise. While different in the comic book universe, they are functionally the same thing in the movies.

Hmm, well I knew in the movie cannon it wasn't Adamantium! (yay me!?) But from the comics, I was under the standing that it wasn't Adamantium either. Or rather, it was proto-adamantium? Or something like that... a  Synthetic kind. Aka, why Wolverine was able to damage Captain America's shield, He got the straight up pure adamantium! :wink:

nah in the comics Utlrons shell is made out of Adamantium.  Adamantium is the only thing that can damage vibranium (what caps' shield is made out of).  the difference between the two is one comes from outer space and the other is here on earth (in africa where the Black Panther is).  i can never recall which is which though ....   given that Adamantium is used in more stuff, i'd think that was the earth bound metal.  its in Gambits staff, Wolverines skeleton, (i think its also in Juggernauts helmet and Magneto's helmet as well) not to mention Ultrons outer shell of his final body.

well, with Dr. Strange and parallel universes coming into play next year in the movie realm, things are about to get a bit more confusing *nods*

Thanos has shown us he has no stones, and we only know where 4 of the 6 stones are ...  so this is going to be interesting leading up to Infinity War.

yeah i agree Barm.  between the aging they showed on the A-team, and the end where it shows Cap assembling a new team.  and then contracts coming up and the main actors saying they want to do other things ....  i think you're right on par when you say the A-listers wont play a big part in Infinity war, aside from cameo's.

considering the contractual slippery slope of the Hulk though ...  i wonder how they'll handle his character through the next films, especially in Civil War and Infinity

Hmm, I had assumed Captain America's shield was weaker then Wolverine's claws. (I saw a picture of his shield with wolverine slashes through it)

Turns out that was one of the multi-verses.

Guess in lore, his shield is stronger then Adamantium, and has the vibration absorbing powers of vibranium. (Meaning if wolverine had that metal, he'd be unstoppable)

But it's hard to tell which universe lore they are going with.

*nods*  with the movies its harder to keep straight because of the IPO's belonging to different studios.  because the xmen, especially wolverine, should be interacting with a lot of the plots Marvel is doing (not to mention fantastic 4).

Wolverine and Stretch play a huge part in the upcoming Civil War in the comics, but thats not the case in the movies sadly.

in fact, the Civil War arc puts a deep wedge between Sue and Stretch *nods* and pretty much splits the Fantastic 4 up.

Spider Man and Panther also play a huge part in Civil War.  Peter is pretty much Tony's whipping boy throughout it, or at least until near the end when its already too late.

the two metals are really confusing to keep straight.  Stryker (in the x-men universe) went to Africa to get the Adamantium back in the 60's according to Origins.  likewise, Ultron goes there in this movie to get metal.  i dont think they actually said the name of the metal in the movie ...  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i assumed it to be Adamantium based since it went un-named and was able to be damaged, as it was in the comics.

Ultron goes there in this movie to get metal.  i dont think they actually said the name of the metal in the movie ...  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

In age of Ultron they did call it Vibranium

i assumed it to be Adamantium based since it went un-named and was able to be damaged, as it was in the comics.

From comic lore, Vibranium is nearly as strong as Adamantium, but not indestructible.

I don't believe Ultron's body was made out of it. That would be Visions Body. (also you should note that his body was severely damaged near the end of the movie. So it wasn't Adamantium.

And if you read the lore on Vibranium on the marvel wiki, and how explosive Vibranium can be when people nuke the stuff...

Meaning if that Island had fallen like he wanted, the damage could have been magnitudes worse then they predicted. (and as far as they know, that stuff wasn't explosive)

On another subject, I had thought maybe there was one more stone we haven't seen, but the wiki confirmed the 4 Thor mentioned were the correct amount.

But this begs the question,

How does Thor know about the Infinity stone in Guardians of the Galaxy? Or is it that Loki has spies in the greater Galaxy, that told him about it, and he let that slip to Thor? Does Thor already have contact with Star Lord or the Spartans?

Baron Strucker is a very longstanding character in the Marvel universe, the leader of HYDRA (instead of the Red Skull), and a semi-prominent Avengers villain. He's not that interesting beyond generic Nazi jerkoff, though, which is why he got beat in five minutes and then had his face caved in off-screen. William Stryker was basically invented out of whole cloth for X2, with his name taken from an anti-mutant preacher from a one-off story from (I think) the 80's called God Loves, Man Kills. Then, after the movie, they brought him back into the comics, but he was more of the original cultist preacher dude and less Brian Cox. The movie character is based more on Dr. Cornelius, the guy who ran the Weapon X program last time I paid attention (I think they've retconned it again a couple of times since - this is a long existing problem with Wolverine's history).

So basically, Bubba is right.

I'm not sure what nanobot story you're talking about as far as Doctor Doom goes, but he's stuck with Fox where they're committed to progressively grinding the character down into a mockery of his former glory, which is part of why Marvel cancelled the Fantastic Four book.

The fact that they specifically address the thing in Vision's forehead as an Infinity Gem and specifically are permitting him to hold onto it leads me to wonder if they're setting up for the Infinity Watch to be part of the Infinity War films. I mean, you would think Adam Warlock would be necessary for anything to do with the Infinity Gems storyline, but just the fact that Ultron's daddy issues got transferred for Hank Pym to Tony Stark means they're not as concerned with getting each specific character slotted into the jigsaw correctly as they are with keeping the dynamics more or less the same (I half-wondered if Ultron captured Black Widow to make an attempt at making Jocasta, but even with swapping Stark for Pym, Widow for Wasp doesn't make sense). They might have Warlock's role absorbed by Vision.

I liked Vision, incidentally, but he came in too late and the story treated him largely like he'd always been there, so his inclusion felt kind of awkward. Maybe the original cut that was 30 minutes longer will fix some of the overkill issues. I think they said that's the version that will get the dvd release; why it's not the version that went in theatres, I don't know.

I thought Ultron was great. The one area Marvel films have really been lacking is in having great villains (I'm not sure we can even count Loki, given his usage seems to make him more supporting cast than villain-of-the-week), but this time we got the world's smartest toddler having an enormous petulant tantrum. I just wish that we'd gotten more of him; like with Vision, the movie basically had him introduced and then said "okay he's here, moving on", and then he disappeared for long stretches.

The thing with Thor knowing about the Power Gem (I think that's the one) is a minor plothole, but one can assume that Asgard gets word from more than just the Nine Realms (not all of them seem to even be inhabited), and a terrorist from one of the galaxy's biggest empires almost destroying the capital of one of the galaxy's other biggest empires with a shiny purple doomsday weapon is the sort of thing I'd expect to show up on the six o'clock news.

I think Thanos is more likely to show in in GotG2 than Ragnarok; the Thor movies tend to be a little more self-contained due to their tone and content - look at how weird it was having Sif and Volstagg visiting the Collector. General expectations are that the big bad for Ragnarok will be Surtur, though nothing has been announced.

re-doom:  nanite Nick Fury  http://marvel.wikia.com/Nicholas_Fury_%28Earth-6109%29

in Ultimate Alliance 2, the civil war arc happens and then the villains take advantage of the war and the nanite arc is introduced.  the Avengers movies have included shout outs to the video games in both movies.

not saying it will happen, just that seening the nanite technology, having Nick Fury return and being in that area of the world put me in mind of the nanite arc

re-Ragnrock:  Thors vision gave a glimpse of the gauntlet Thanos uses.  add into that, that Thanos is going after the stones himself and one is on Asgaurd; he'll either be the direct or indirect cause of Ragnrock *nods*  besides, the Asgaurdians are one of the biggest foes he would face, its in Thanos's best interest to wipe them out ASAP.

Ultron goes there in this movie to get metal.  i dont think they actually said the name of the metal in the movie ...  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

In age of Ultron they did call it Vibranium

From comic lore, Vibranium is nearly as strong as Adamantium, but not indestructible.

I don't believe Ultron's body was made out of it. That would be Visions Body. (also you should note that his body was severely damaged near the end of the movie. So it wasn't Adamantium.

And if you read the lore on Vibranium on the marvel wiki, and how explosive Vibranium can be when people nuke the stuff...

Meaning if that Island had fallen like he wanted, the damage could have been magnitudes worse then they predicted. (and as far as they know, that stuff wasn't explosive)

On another subject, I had thought maybe there was one more stone we haven't seen, but the wiki confirmed the 4 Thor mentioned were the correct amount.

But this begs the question,

How does Thor know about the Infinity stone in Guardians of the Galaxy? Or is it that Loki has spies in the greater Galaxy, that told him about it, and he let that slip to Thor? Does Thor already have contact with Star Lord or the Spartans?

as i said, in the comics Ultron's final body is comprised of adimantium i believe Tony used it in his automated army, at least plating's of it.

nah its like Reyler said.  when a major and well known villain comes to destroy an entire world and uses an infinity stone on top of it, word tends to travel xD

dont forget that they have a Heimdall on Asgard which watches all of the realms and knows whats going on.

Oh. I never finished that game; I had the PS2 version, which was terrible. Anyway the presence of Crossbones and Baron Zemo in Civil War pretty much guarantees the bad guys will be trying to take advantage of the problem; the only notable one in the comics to do so was Norman Osborn, and despite Spider-Man being in Civil War, I don't think they're going to involve his rogues gallery. Still, I don't think they're going to go down a path that basically nullifies the central conflict of the film.

Ultron always uses adamantium in the comics. He still gets destroyed, and then makes more adamantium bodies. The stuff must not be that indestructible after all. Or rare. Anyway it might not be wrapped in the X-Men rights, but they were already in sticky (though settled) territory with Quicksilver. Plus vibranium sets up Wakanda, which sets up Black Panther, and blah blah blah cinematic universe.

Heimdall is one character whose power needs a hard nerfing, and the only thing I can think of without invalidating anything that came before is that he can't actually be looking at everything all at the same time; he's not Santa Claus, he just works for him.

Ultron was made of vibranium in the movie.  He got it from that smuggler dude.

Heimdall doesn't really need a nerfing imo given that Loki was able to beguile him and Thanos with an Infinity Stone would be pretty damn OP too.

dont forget that Loki used an infinity stone to "nerf" Heimdall, and that stone will be the one that Thanos wont have, given its in Visions head.

edit - by the time he goes to Asguard to retrieve the one there, he should have 2 stones or 3 stones (the one from Nova Core, and the One from the Collector for sure).  i'm betting that Dr Stange finds another in a parallel dimension and Thanos acquires that one as well.  so by Ragnrok, Thanos should have 3 stones, 1 on earth and that leaves 2 unknown.   likely Civil Wars cut scene will have Thanos collecting the stone from the collector (there shouldn't be much fight there given the Collector was holding them for him anyway)

the way i see Heimdall is kinda like a Watcher Titan in training, or maybe a manifestation of the Watcher himself (i've also wondered about the Collector, if maybe theres more to him as well)  when i envision him watching over the realms, i think of him sitting in front of a bunch of TV's Robot Chicken style and just glancing at them all until something catches his eye; like a big bad dude wielding an infinity stone and trying to destroy an entire planet xD

Loki vs Thanos would be like Oliver vs DO.   its just not a fair match and he'd have no chance lmao.

now Thanos vs Galactus ...  thats a match i want to see!!  i'm hoping thats how Infinity War ends, after all, only a Titan can defeat another Titan *grins*

i'm glad Spidey is gonna be in Civil War!  means Tony will have his mouth piece.  i wonder if they'll have spidey unmask himself and if tony will make him the super spidey suit.  have they release the date for the new Spidey movie??  if it comes out after Civil War and they follow his true arc, then that will be an interesting movie dealing with the fall out to him revealing his identity.

re-adamantium.  theres different types.  pure adamantium (like Wolverine and Sabertooth) is rare.   the rest, like what Stark uses, is metal coated in it.  theres also synthetic versions as well.  iirc, Ultrons final body in the comics was made of a really high grade adamantium, but still wasnt pure like Wolverine's stuff.  hence why he always got the snot kicked out of him.

i'm betting though, that the Hulk Buster was made out of almost pure Adamantium and Vibranium, given the pummeling it withstood from the Hulk

dont forget that Loki used an infinity stone to "nerf" Heimdall, and that stone will be the one that Thanos wont have, given its in Visions head.

edit - by the time he goes to Asguard to retrieve the one there, he should have 2 stones or 3 stones (the one from Nova Core, and the One from the Collector for sure).  i'm betting that Dr Stange finds another in a parallel dimension and Thanos acquires that one as well.  so by Ragnrok, Thanos should have 3 stones, 1 on earth and that leaves 2 unknown.   likely Civil Wars cut scene will have Thanos collecting the stone from the collector (there shouldn't be much fight there given the Collector was holding them for him anyway)

the way i see Heimdall is kinda like a Watcher Titan in training, or maybe a manifestation of the Watcher himself (i've also wondered about the Collector, if maybe theres more to him as well)  when i envision him watching over the realms, i think of him sitting in front of a bunch of TV's Robot Chicken style and just glancing at them all until something catches his eye; like a big bad dude wielding an infinity stone and trying to destroy an entire planet xD

Loki vs Thanos would be like Oliver vs DO.   its just not a fair match and he'd have no chance lmao.

now Thanos vs Galactus ...  thats a match i want to see!!  i'm hoping thats how Infinity War ends, after all, only a Titan can defeat another Titan *grins*

i'm glad Spidey is gonna be in Civil War!  means Tony will have his mouth piece.  i wonder if they'll have spidey unmask himself and if tony will make him the super spidey suit.  have they release the date for the new Spidey movie??  if it comes out after Civil War and they follow his true arc, then that will be an interesting movie dealing with the fall out to him revealing his identity.

re-adamantium.  theres different types.  pure adamantium (like Wolverine and Sabertooth) is rare.   the rest, like what Stark uses, is metal coated in it.  theres also synthetic versions as well.  iirc, Ultrons final body in the comics was made of a really high grade adamantium, but still wasnt pure like Wolverine's stuff.  hence why he always got the snot kicked out of him.

i'm betting though, that the Hulk Buster was made out of almost pure Adamantium and Vibranium, given the pummeling it withstood from the Hulk

Withstood? The Hulk tore that thing apart. Even a micron thick layer of Adamantium shouldn't be dentable by the Hulk.

Vibranium, yes. (But even Stark doesn't have that much laying around. As far as we know, the only supply he had, was his fathers in WW2, used to create Captain America's shield. And that isn't pure Vibranium either. As the marvel wiki shows, his shield is more indestructable then Wolverines adamantium.)

No, Stark probably just had some un-mentioned super strong alloy/and/or synthetic version of Adamantium that is significantly weaker, that can withstand a good beating but can still be torn apart by Hulk.

SD - notice i said almost pure.  meaning a very high grade synthetic version.  Stark is smart, if he's going to use a precious metal he's going to figure out how to replicate a high grade version of it before using it to build with.  in terms of alcohol - caps shield is probably 60% proof, but Hulk Buster is probably 80-90% proof.

and i disagree.  the Hulk Buster did withstand the Hulk.  it took a beating, but the Hulk didn't destroy it.  if you noticed during the fight, he wasn't tearing any piece off of the suit, he was ripping off bits at their joints and weaker parts.  but the parts themselves survived and weren't crushed.  not to mention, for a triple A hulk smash down that was going on, there was very little damage to the Hulk Buster in comparison to the surrounding town, and Hulk was never able to reach or damage the core components of the suit.

just because something is indestructible, doesn't mean you can't damage it.  it just means you can't destroy it.  after all, i may not be able to scratch a diamond, as its the hardest substance ...  but i can still crush it, cut it, and break it.

SD - notice i said almost pure.  meaning a very high grade synthetic version.  Stark is smart, if he's going to use a precious metal he's going to figure out how to replicate a high grade version of it before using it to build with.  in terms of alcohol - caps shield is probably 60% proof, but Hulk Buster is probably 80-90% proof.

and i disagree.  the Hulk Buster did withstand the Hulk.  it took a beating, but the Hulk didn't destroy it.  if you noticed during the fight, he wasn't tearing any piece off of the suit, he was ripping off bits at their joints and weaker parts.  but the parts themselves survived and weren't crushed.  not to mention, for a triple A hulk smash down that was going on, there was very little damage to the Hulk Buster in comparison to the surrounding town, and Hulk was never able to reach or damage the core components of the suit.

just because something is indestructible, doesn't mean you can't damage it.  it just means you can't destroy it.  after all, i may not be able to scratch a diamond, as its the hardest substance ...  but i can still crush it, cut it, and break it.

Captains Shield is more like 200 proof. (at least, lore wise) I don't believe we've seen a hulk smash on Captains shield.. Yet...

And we are dealing with a fantasy metal here. It has clear established rules/laws regarding these materials. So it's nothing like diamonds, or carbon nano-tubes..

It can't be crushed or broken apart. It literally can not be altered without essentially a God using his entire strength to make a dent against it!

Although True Adamantium is thought to be indestructible, there are at least two known examples of the alloy within the Earth-616 reality sustaining damage without molecular manipulation. The first involved Thor focusing all of his strength into striking a small cylinder of Adamantium with Mjolnir, which only slightly dented[1]. The second incident involved a battle between Ultron and the Hulk. During the fight, the Hulk punched the robot with enough force to slightly dent it[2]. (Both instances were later revealed to have been only Secondary Adamantium)

Note the part about a slight dent?

https://youtu.be/mjx-02XWuzk?t=57

Yea, that doesn't look like merely a joint being ripped apart. Nor should it be pierceable by something found near a common construction site.

The inner core of the hulk buster I can see being comprised of some form of Adamantium, but the appendages.. I doubt it.

But there is still the issue of movies vs comics.

Movie lore, I don't think Stark had Vibranium. If he did. Ultron would have requisitioned it. He wouldn't have need to go to Africa for it. (This doesn't discount him having already used it all making the hulk buster)

And as far as us viewers knew, the only guy who had any, escaped Africa years and years ago after stealing some. And Stark made it clear he didn't do business with that guy. (possibly)

Though his Father may have. 

Archived