A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eye of the world (Book 1 & 1/2

PerrinFtw

So when I first read the series I read:

The Two Rivers

Book 2

Book 3

etc etc finished book 11 now.

Rather than The Eye of the World then the other books.

MEANING, i've missed the book To the Blight. So yesterday I got Eye of the World out of the library, started reading from halfway through.

So now I'm almost at the end and thinking WTF is going on?! What is with the strands coming out from the forsaken etc? Completely don't understand that.

Anyone can shed some light (no pun intended) on the situation please?

Cheers

So now I'm almost at the end and thinking WTF is going on?! What is with the strands coming out from the forsaken etc?

Well ... it would explain it in The Shadow Rising, but since you asked, and won't really mess up the story ...

The "black cords" are the way Rand visualizes the personal connection between the Dark One and the Forsaken. The Dark One has attached himself to them, or rather, attached them to himself.

The exception to this is the "glowing white rope" that Rand sees coming from Aginor. That was a visualization of the saidin that Aginor was drawing from the Eye of the World. We don't see any more "glowing ropes", at least not in what has been published so far. But the "black cords" do come into play at the end of The Dragon Reborn, and again in a later book.

It should also be noted that RJ didn't really polish the One Power until around book 3... there are several inconsistancies in the earlier books... nothing big or anything, but things that dont mesh well with the later descriptions... the glowing cord is one, Moiraine using fire and earth against Aginor rather then trying to shield him, or bash him in the head, another (and how DID she manage to create that hole in the ground?). Plus all of the early definitions of travelling lack gateways.

Guest Barmacral

The early book travelling bugged me, that was the biggest issue that I've got with the early series, all the rest of the stuff was cool, but Travelling without a gateway, that really really bugged me.

Guest Barmacral

Telzen, I had a whole long post ready to support my annoyance about travelling, complete with multiple examples from book one. But when I went to get some other examples, the only one I could find basically supported what you said. Perhaps once I've gotten book 11 back (lent it out) I can give some more substantial examples to back me up.

Nah after reading the whole series and still not having read 'To the Blight' I felt fine about it, I knew i'd missed something, but the library took a LONG time.

Thanks RAW, and ye I've read all the books now. And re-reading them too :D

Cheers sorted me out a treat.

You need to read the Prolouge to tEotW. In the first WoT Jr. books I believe it is something about a 12 year old Egwene.

It was intresting to see the teenage ta'veren. "Rand almost as tall as Perrin" was kinda funny. And when we get a look at Perrin's mom and dad was sorta sad, and I felt bad for his sister when Eggy dissed her.

Archived