DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The moiraine Thom romance

badhead

I found the Thom Moiraine... romance (? can we even call it that?) odd. Not because of the subtle-out-of-nowhere-call-it-what-you-will aspect of it, but because they were an unlikely pairing. Moiraine seemed the type of woman who was too caught up in her plots to care for relationships, even with Lan they seemed more acquaintances than friends. And Thom lived too much in the past for me to think that he could ever let it go for a future. In my mind the two were completely mismatched, despite their similarities.

One more thing about Moiraine. Correct me if I'm wrong but she is Aes Sedai and they can live for centuries... yes? So her being 40ish is still relatively young in comparison to Cadsuane.

Lan and Nyneave I saw coming from the very beginning. I think what made Lan notice her to begin with was that she was able to track him. A feat that was suggested to be almost impossible. Of course she was going to be on his radar after that. And if you think about it, what better personality to break through his defenses, all sharp and abrasive with thorns on the outside, but the only one with a heart big enough, with enough compassion, to ease the lifetime of hurt and horror that he lived.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I got that part. The rest is pretty absurd though...

Look, if we see the series as a romantic story, Thom's attitude is unacceptable.  Love At First Sight could be the motto! I can accept that Thom, Mat and a few others act like "adults" who have desires but I don' think that they fit in the spirit of the story*. See Mat's behaviour! Checking over Avi's legs, El's breasts... hey! they are your friend's SOs!

*That's why we got no sex scenes (thanks Mr Jordan), we got no masturbating scenes (except one) etc. And as many people stated many times before: the rape scenes were absolute unnecessary. I get that Jordan wanted to paint a real world and in the real world such things happen but I feel so uncomfortable reading about these parts.

But it's not a romantic story, and Thom's attitude and behaviour are totally acceptable even if this was a Mills and Boon novel. I think that maybe it's your perception that is an ill fit for the story. That was Mat's personality; rougish, playboy, flirtatious, a wandering eye.. loyal. Tuon was perfect for him and the only one who could tame the beast. As it is with all bad boys, they can go through woman after woman, forgetting each as soon as they leave their beds until they come across that one that can settle them.

Considering that this was a story of ultimate good triumphing over ultimate evil, RJ was pretty tame. You have to expect some unpleasantness, even JK Rowling wrote a torture scene in the HP series that was meant for children. If you read this type of thing expecting daisies and puppies and pillow fights to win the day and triumph over the very essence of evil, then I'd rethink my reading material.

I was mistaken.

it was 2 women loved Thom; not Thom loved them.  Morgase & Dena.  and it was a Mat POV; not a Thom POV.

Dragon Reborn Chapter 31.

Though Dena & Moiraine seemed to be the only women that Thom showed sexual interest toward.

Their...romance...such as it was, was strange from the beginning.  Min telling Moiraine that she was destined to marry Thom which is why Moiraine knew Thom would survive Ebou Dar, followed by Moiraine being Cairhienen, where the slightest gesture or glance had significant meaning due to the Game of Houses which Thom played well.  It was meant to be subtle, with the exchange in Thom's room in the servant's quarters being very significant indeed.  She reveals that she knows who he is, and that she knows what happened to his nephew and the Red Sisters responsible.  (it is later revealed in bits and pieces that Elaida and other Reds Elaida brings back from exile were responsible for gentling his nephew without taking him to Tar Valon for trial as was law.  Elaida's involvement is managed to be hidden, suggesting that Elaida initiated these events in order to oust Thom from court and was successful given Morgase's response for his taking off.)

Their...romance...such as it was, was strange from the beginning.  Min telling Moiraine that she was destined to marry Thom which is why Moiraine knew Thom would survive Ebou Dar, followed by Moiraine being Cairhienen, where the slightest gesture or glance had significant meaning due to the Game of Houses which Thom played well.  It was meant to be subtle, with the exchange in Thom's room in the servant's quarters being very significant indeed.  She reveals that she knows who he is, and that she knows what happened to his nephew and the Red Sisters responsible.  (it is later revealed in bits and pieces that Elaida and other Reds Elaida brings back from exile were responsible for gentling his nephew without taking him to Tar Valon for trial as was law.  Elaida's involvement is managed to be hidden, suggesting that Elaida initiated these events in order to oust Thom from court and was successful given Morgase's response for his taking off.)

The scene where Moiraine tells Thom; Sanderson decided to not write.  The reason I think was that they were not "significant" characters.  Do not remember the exact words or where.

If Elaida was involved in any way, I guess Sanderson would have decided to write the scene.

Though Dena & Moiraine seemed to be the only women that Thom showed sexual interest toward.

Thom is like a sailor/musician/movie star, who has a girl at every port/city.

Are we talking about the same books? I'm really baffled about where you get the idea that Thom is a playa.

So did I but I don't judge all musicians to be that way. It's like saying all accountants are square pegs or all black people can sing or all Indians eat curry or all English people drink tea and watch Coronation Street.

But back to the discussion at hand...

If you want to dislike Thom because you think he "cheated" on Moiraine, fine. But give me some proof that he did what you say.

Thom is like a sailor/musician/movie star, who has a girl at every port/city.

that might have been accurate before the main series; but to me it does not seem so during the main series.

Think at Thom's age his playa days are probably behind him.  You seem upset that once Thom was attacked by the Fade and went his own way that he didn't spend the rest of his life alone.  We have no idea if Thom was even madly in love with Moraine yet or maybe simply had a crush on her.  After all he wasn't with her all that long before getting separated.  No to mention we know of only 1 lady Thom was with after that happened. 

Archived