DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The moiraine Thom romance

badhead

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not subtle, it's an extreme example of "Strangled by the red string trope. It went straight from Thom giving Moiraine admiring looks but not trusting her and them having one actual conversation which wasn't about their feelings at all to "Let's get married right now and get bonded forever" without as much as a date, or a kiss, or a single conversation about their feelings.

It's not subtle, it's an extreme example of "Strangled by the red string trope. It went straight from Thom giving Moiraine admiring looks but not trusting her and them having one actual conversation which wasn't about their feelings at all to "Let's get married right now and get bonded forever" without as much as a date, or a kiss, or a single conversation about their feelings.

This.

This hints have been there through the entire series so I was not one bit surprised when this happened.  I'm not saying that the hints were obvious but for some reason I picked up on them pretty easily (wish I could have done the same with Asmo's killer lol).  

There were hints, but it went from a mutual admiration that could have developed into something more to love, marriage and bonding with no in between.

This hints have been there through the entire series so I was not one bit surprised when this happened.  I'm not saying that the hints were obvious but for some reason I picked up on them pretty easily (wish I could have done the same with Asmo's killer lol).  

There were hints, but it went from a mutual admiration that could have developed into something more to love, marriage and bonding with no in between.

i agree with this.  Nynaeve and Lan declaring their undying love for each other at the end of tEotW was a pretty big leap from their interactions together - and I would say there were a few more hints for them than there were for Moiraine and Thom - and they at least interacted a little more 'on page' before getting married and bonded.  Thom and Moiraine hardly ever spoke to each other.  Yes, they may have admired/liked each other, but they didn't really have a relationship at all, spending hardly any time together.  They seem to have decided to get married and bonded after being separated for years solely based on Moiraine's trips through the rings which said it would happen (iirc).

Yeah, that was a weakness of Jordan's. There's a couple relationships that just..happen, without much to establish them. It's not unrealistic, because I knew the day I met my husband that I was going to marry him and he says he felt the same, but it's weird to read about in fiction. 

i agree with this.  Nynaeve and Lan declaring their undying love for each other at the end of tEotW was a pretty big leap from their interactions together - and I would say there were a few more hints for them than there were for Moiraine and Thom - and they at least interacted a little more 'on page' before getting married and bonded.  Thom and Moiraine hardly ever spoke to each other.  Yes, they may have admired/liked each other, but they didn't really have a relationship at all, spending hardly any time together.  They seem to have decided to get married and bonded after being separated for years solely based on Moiraine's trips through the rings which said it would happen (iirc).

That is true.  I guess RJ believed in love at first sight LOL

I was always divided over this one...Mish is right: a lot about it was beautiful...just beautiful...two adults, later in life, meeting, developing a friendship and mutual adoration for each other...so much to like about Moir and Thom...cool hints in book 1 and 2 and of course KOD. And the BIG CHAPTER in book 4 is one of the best chapters in the entire series where they spar with each other in Thom's quarters.

OTOH...HUH???...It also suffered like many of RJ's relationships did...from the HUH??? Syndrome...many have mentioned this before me. It bothered me less with Thomraine because I liked them so much. Perrin/Faile/Nyn/Lan/Galad/Egwene/Gawyn/Elayne/Rand all were beyond insulting and outrageous.

a few i KINDA could buy...Rand and Avi and Rand and Min...also Tuon and Mat...at least these three couples spent a lot - A LOT - of time together in close proximity.

I was always happy fort Mat and Perrin that they managed to keep Tuon and Faile away from Rand for the most part...we all know what Rand did to any chick he spent too much time with...ask Avi or Min or Elayne what they mean by the term ''Dragon Bone''...

- Fish

• 3 weeks later...

During my first time through this series (read Eye of World through Gathering Storm then), there was speculation among readers that Min had a Viewing of she & him becoming wed.

The Viewings of Thom could be an indicator of that.

Egwene's Dream (Fires of Heaven) could be an indicator of their romance.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bump an old thread 

but thom and moraines relationship plus Lan & Nynavene came out of noo where to me

Like Nynavene i can understand why she would fall for Lan, just off the fact that she wanted to steal him away from Moraine, and one up her some how... but why Lan loved her too? just odd.. i mean he's not an easy person to read, but its like why? she's the worst in the beginning, but becomes one of my favorites by the end

also I always thought Thom wanted Moraine to tell him of the Red Aes Sedei who took care of his nephew... I swore that information was in the letter that she wrote for him... and then all the sudden... My dearest thom... i was like wait what....and then when they were in love i was like wait what..... 

its just so odd because he did so well writing, gawyn & egwene, egwene and rand, rand min elayne and aviendha, suin and the bull

ThomXMoiraine and NynaeveXLan were the most random and out-of-nowhere pairings in the series. (And nobody else seems to think that about Nynaeve and Lan besides the previous person. Maybe I missed something, but I just didn't get it.)

the Lan being in love with her right away thing was so insane to me, i could understand if it worked over time, but that shit was just weird

Thom and Moiraine was suden but the man did tell mat he was going to try and save her even if mat didnt go, which he knew to be certain death. So that should of been the shock concidering the last time she saw him it was to send him on a journey he didnt wont to go on. The only ones that were odd to me were Gawyne/ Egwene she hadnt seen him since the DR and had fancied his brother. And Rand/Elayne talks to him once in Caemlyn gets to tear and decides she loves him, wish i was ta' veren.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember being in college and most of my friends talking about WoT (it was up to TSR at that point). One stated that Thom and Moiraine were to be wed based off the vision of Thom pulling Moiraine's jewel out of a fire. I thought it was just he would end up saving her and basically ignored my friend. When Thom starts reading Moiraine's note every day in front of Mat, I did a reread of the books paying particular notice to anything Thom, Moiraine, and with the two of them. There was nothing but Thom thinking she looked nice, the Red Ajah/Owyn business and some mutual respect. It is not subtle and not beautiful, it is non-existent. Thom is like 65-75 and Moiraine is in her early 40s. That's me marrying someone my mom's or grandma's age (I'm 40). They have nothing in common beyond the game of houses. I had hoped against hope they wouldn't get married, but figured there would be -some- explaination on ToM. There was none. it was just 'Mat, Thom, and Noal rescue her and when she wakes up she demands to marry him.'  It is crazy and makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Their mutual attraction is quite clear before they part in Tear.  That being said, the marriage thing, although heavily foreshadowed, was not heavily developed.  Another thing to remember though is that this is not exactly implausible given the events of RJ's story.  Mat is strongly ta'veren and was present at the proposal, and Thom had just demonstrated a willingness to die for Moiraine.  Both of them are getting up there in years and keenly aware of their own mortality.  It was definitely sudden, but then again, this is a fantasy series about the impending apocalypse, so I don't find it unbelievable so much as slightly unsatisfying.  I would have preferred a bit more development of the romance, but in the end I still like it.

Archived