DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What character can the series do without?

raydurz

Guest Wynne Jessal
You said bat-poop! :lol:

I didn't suppose I could get away with the alternative. I should have saved some of the alleged worst curses from the books. The board censor would probably be pretty lenient with "goat swallop and bloody buttered onions" (if I remember it correctly).

Guest cwestervelt
You said bat-poop! :lol:

I didn't suppose I could get away with the alternative. I should have saved some of the alleged worst curses from the books. The board censor would probably be pretty lenient with "goat swallop and bloody buttered onions" (if I remember it correctly).

Hey, at least it reads better than seeing someone called a "bunny kisser". :lol:

Guest Wynne Jessal
Hey' date=' at least it reads better than seeing someone called a "bunny kisser". :lol:[/quote']

Ugh! You can't talk to me that way, you son/daughter of the sands!! :evil:

Note: I have only read up through "Winters Heart." So if any of these characters have played a significant role in CoT or KoD feel free to tell me that I'm wrong in a general way, but please no spoilers.

Jaichim Carridin:

-honestly it seems like all this guy ever does is screw up. I supose his purpose in the story could be to illustrate how merciless the DO can be toward darkfriends who fail, but still competent DF's make the series so much more interesting.

Lagwim's girlfriend:

-I can't even think of here name at the moment, but she is a Lady form Cairhein who left Andor with Morgase's escape party and is currently a servant of Faile and Perrin. Admittedly I've only read up through "Winter's Heart." But thus far she has done nothing of any significance and I don't understand why she was even included in the story.

Basil Gill and Lagwim:

-Don't get me wrong I like these guys but for the most part they seem like dead weight and really haven't played any significant part in the story. The grand exception to this statement is Master Gill's role in tEotW, but having him a part of Morgase's escape party seems unnecessary.

Sullin (sp)

-her taking on the role of a maid in the Sun Palace as toh was rather comical but it is probably something that could be left out of any theatrical adaptation.

I don't think that they could be removed without having someone to replace them. Because like I said earlier the characters are all in there for a reason.

Actually, I also think that there are so many people in the books so that there are as few "super characters" as possible. I mean if people started removing characters willy nilly we would run into a book that is was way to fantastical. Super characters running left and right. I would say that that would get a little boring. There are just the right amount of character to talent ratio in the books and if to many people were to be removed I think that the balance would be lost.

Guest cwestervelt
I don't think that they could be removed without having someone to replace them. Because like I said earlier the characters are all in there for a reason.

Actually' date=' I also think that there are so many people in the books so that there are as few "super characters" as possible. I mean if people started removing characters willy nilly we would run into a book that is was way to fantastical. Super characters running left and right. I would say that that would get a little boring. There are just the right amount of character to talent ratio in the books and if to many people were to be removed I think that the balance would be lost.[/quote']

That maybe so, but most movies are usually about the "supercharacters". Doing an adaption, I can easily see a screen writer trying to combine as many characters as possible into supercharacters.

To sybod... IMHO Min's only part in this story is drum roll please... Having sex with Rand. Hell give Nyan the ability or even to one of his other girls

IMHO If rand dies in TG (which he won't) Min will have nothing to live for. Only thing she has is Rand. And people used to say if Min died rand would die...Highly unlikely he got kids and the most annoying character in the books to take care of *cough*Elayne*cough*

That maybe so, but most movies are usually about the "supercharacters". Doing an adaption, I can easily see a screen writer trying to combine as many characters as possible into supercharacters.

I just don't think that that would be very interesting.

To sybod... IMHO Min's only part in this story is drum roll please... Having sex with Rand.

That and all the prophecies she's given to him, and all the other characters that she has encountered. Let's not forget who smuggled Siuan and Leanne out of Tar Valon. Min is much more than Rands "sex toy." Give her some credit.

No but alot of the Viewings were also in Egwene's dreams and only 1 (the beggar) in the Wolf Dream which is TAR.

Like I said also, make Avi follow him around and she will have the viewings or Nyn since she is around him alot now. Correct me if im wrong it was about a month before i last read WH but, What story changing part(mind you STORY changing) did Min play so far?

(Even Character part besides the jealous Elayne and the Rand stuff)

Guest cwestervelt
No but alot of the Viewings were also in Egwene's dreams and only 1 (the beggar) in the Wolf Dream which is TAR.

Like I said also' date=' make Avi follow him around and she will have the viewings or Nyn since she is around him alot now. Correct me if im wrong it was about a month before i last read WH but, What story changing part(mind you STORY changing) did Min play so far?

(Even Character part besides the jealous Elayne and the Rand stuff)[/quote']

She held Rand in check long enough for him to accept Cadsuane.

Min has strings attatched to a great many things. How would Rand have treated most of the minor(yet crucial) characters without Min's advice from her viewings? Would Tear still be in rebellion? How about the 5 AS that Min saw in Rand's hand? Rand has given them a lot of duties, and they have performed well for him, because Min told him to trust them. The bonding ceremony between Rand and Min, Avi, and Elayne would not have happened without Min's actions. Without Min, many things that have happened in the books would not have happened so well.

with out Min's viewing the girls would never been willing to share Rand and become frineds - quite abig change to the story.

To keep that part it would have to be one of the the other two girl frineds that get's her ability not Nyn or Egwene.

Guest cwestervelt
with out Min's viewing the girls would never been willing to share Rand and become frineds - quite abig change to the story.

To keep that part it would have to be one of the the other two girl frineds that get's her ability not Nyn or Egwene.

That is a rather hard claim to justify. Min's vision only told them they would. They still had to come to terms with it on their own.

I think that part of Jordan's genius has been to involve so many people, without making any one of them the source of everything. It is indeed very much like a tapestry (or Pattern?), where every thread has to be in its place to be right. You can remove some of the threads and still see the picture, but it starts to get "frayed" ... it wouldn't be as pretty if any of them were removed.

Archived