DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT quotes and other things in different languages

Darki'n

To put it simply: This is a thread where we can compare English WoT to different languages. You can post here WoT quotes in your own national language and compare it to the original version. Which do you like more: the original or your own?

Here's two examples of the good and bad of Finnish WoT:

The Bad:

English version:    "Kneel or you will be knelt."     

Finnish version:   "Polvistukaa, tai teidät pakotetaan polvillenne."

This is just so much better in English. This is a phrase that's meant to be short, but it doesn't fit a little bit longer language like Finnish.

Then a Good example:

English version: Flickerflickerflickerflicker.....

Finnish version: Välkähdysvälkähdysvälkähdysvälkähdys....

This is better in Finnish than English, in my opinion. Välkähdys sounds very good, especially when it's not just välähdys but välkähdys. One "k" can do wonders...

So, what do you think about the non-English WoT quotes? If you have read the books in different language, post here and let us enjoy the different versions of legendary and not-so-legendary WoT phrases. Those who have only read it in English can just look and envy us...

English version:   "Kneel or you will be knelt." 

Russian version: "И преклоните колени... сами, если не хотите, чтобы вас опустили на
колени силой"

Russian version is much worse then English and Finnish  :huh:

Flicker in Russian is worse too  :laugh:

I discovered a Norwegian version of Eye of the World in my husbands old books, well it was part one at least, and it was called "Flukten fra Emondsmarken"/ "The espace from Emonds Field". Wow, did that ever sound extremely boring compared to the original title...

Hm... So the word order in English and Finnish is the same?

I'm not quite sure... I think it can be, but in Finnish the places of words might change. You can say one sentence in many different ways,  I think, but isn't it the same way in English too, at least in some cases?

English version:   "Kneel or you will be knelt." 

Russian version: "И преклоните колени... сами, если не хотите, чтобы вас опустили на

колени силой"

Russian version is much worse then English and Finnish  :huh:

Flicker in Russian is worse too  :laugh:

That's very long... I can read the letters but I don't have any idea what do the words actually mean. I started Russian at school last year, and it's quite nice to be able to read those strange letters. Yes, the "Kneel or you will be knelt" in Russian really doesn't seem good for that scene...

And what actually is the Flicker in Russian? Is it so bad you can't tell us? :rolleyes:

In this case

"kneel"="и преклоните колени...сами"

"you will be knelt"="вас опустили на колени силой"

"если не хотите, чтобы" doesn't even exist in English version  :laugh:

It's even worse  :tongue:

Flicker = Мигнуло

It's so boring and long and doesn't siut the action at all  :mellow:

Darki'n you get used to the letters after some time  :biggrin:

I started to read the books in Swedish so I got used to that. Then, when I couldn´t afford to buy them all, I borrowed the books in English from a friend. After that I have mixed Swedish and English. (The last three books won´t be translated.)  I read much faster in Swedish but the original language is always the best. 

Do the letters in Russian have the same sounds as the letters in English on the same keys? Or more or less that, at least?

Doesn't seem like that. For example, the Russian letter in "Z" key would be written as "JA" in the normal letters. They're not same at all. Some of their letters' sounds don't even exist in English.

Archived