DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Combat Skills; Egwene vs. Nynaeve (no ter/sa angreal)

Durinax

103 members have voted

1. 1. Superior fighting skills

• Egwene
    • Nynaeve

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egwene invented "stilling" for herself in the middle of a duel, it safe to say she has those skills.

Also it looked like your point was Nyn is strong in all 5 elements, which is yet one more thing stated by the Nyn side with no support from the text.

Egwene is strong in all 5 elements, and she's also got the Talent of searching for ores.

when did we find out Egwene is strong in water and air?

All the evidence is in the first post I made regarding this topic.

you didn't provide evidence of strong in water and air, you just claimed that she could do stuff with air and water without thinking once she learned it.

Egwene is strong in all 5 elements, and she's also got the Talent of searching for ores.

you didn't provide evidence of strong in water and air, you just claimed that she could do stuff with air and water without thinking once she learned it.

Don't have the quote handy but Egwene states flat out in text she is strong in water and air. Guess you could make the argument that she doesn't now for sure but that is pretty weak obviously.

And that's the evidence. Did you even read the entirety of that quote?

And Egwene can't Heal, so she can't duel? The thread has officially reached the fifty feet of crap below rock bottom, it seems.

Additionally Sutt - Eg innovative in battle?, an example of her duelling (to show experience)?  :)  Or do I win those points? :D

I believe these have been laid out already? Egwene invented stilling for herself in the middle of a "duel". And she innovated with the anti-eavesdropping ward to draw in her adversaries. We've also seen her cleverly use the anti-eavesdropping ward to silence her footsteps in the midst of battle. 

that was no where near a duel, more of an ambush, but I will give you that she came up with it by accident.

And Egwene can't Heal, so she can't duel? The thread has officially reached the fifty feet of crap below rock bottom, it seems.

Rand’s face took on a pained expression. “I don’t know.” He sounded embarrassed. “When I want fire, for a lamp or a fireplace, I just make it, but I do not know how. I don’t really need to think to do things with fire.”

That almost stood to reason. Of the Five Powers, Fire and Earth had been strongest in men in the Age of Legends, and Air and Water in women; Spirit had been shared equally. Egwene hardly had to think to use Air or Water, once she had learned to do a thing in the first place.

Air and Water, check.

I assume the Heal thing isnt towards me, but I read the entire thing, when you reference air and water to egwene it was after a rand quote where to summerize he says 'I don't know how I did it.' Quoted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm saying we can't assume she is any better, since there's no proof of what you claim.

I'm saying we can't assume she is any better, since there's no proof of what you claim.

Additionally Sutt - Eg innovative in battle?, an example of her duelling (to show experience)?  :)  Or do I win those points? :D

I believe these have been laid out already? Egwene invented stilling for herself in the middle of a "duel". And she innovated with the anti-eavesdropping ward to draw in her adversaries. We've also seen her cleverly use the anti-eavesdropping ward to silence her footsteps in the midst of battle. 

that was no where near a duel, more of an ambush, but I will give you that she came up with it by accident.

We were asked to come up with a case of Egwene innovating in the midst of battle to counter Nynaeve innovating Balefire, while she surprised already burning Fades with it. How is Egwene striking at Amico any less a duel than Nynaeve balefiring already burning Fades? And how is it that when Egwene comes up with a weave, it is an "Accident", but when Nynaeve does, it isn't?

Let's just compare the two situations:

She knew it was possible to cut a woman off from the True Source even if she had already embraced saidar, but severing a weave already established had to be much harder than damming the flow before it began. She set the patterns of the weaving, readied them, making the threads of Spirit much stronger, this time, thicker and heavier, a denser weave with a cutting edge like a knife.

How can you possibly twist that to be an accident?

Flames burst out of all three Myrddraal, sprouting in every direction, and they shrieked like splintered bones jamming a meatgrinder. Yet she had forgotten she was not alone, that Elayne and Nynaeve were with her. Even as the flames consumed the Halfmen, the very air seemed suddenly to push them together in midair, crushing them into a ball of fire and blackness that grew smaller and smaller. Their screams dug at Egwene’s spine, and something shot out from Nynaeve’s hands - a thin bar of white light that made noonday sun seem dark, a bar of fire that made molten metal seem cold, connecting her hands to the Myrddraal. And they ceased to exist as if they had never been. Nynaeve gave a startled jump, and the glow around her vanished.

“What . . . what was that?” Elayne asked.

Nynaeve shook her head; she looked as stunned as Elayne sounded. “I don’t know. I . . . I was so angry, so afraid, at what they wanted to . . . . I do not know what it was.”

You tell me which sounds more "accidental".

We were asked to come up with a case of Egwene innovating in the midst of battle to counter Nynaeve innovating Balefire, while she surprised already burning Fades with it. How is Egwene striking at Amico any less a duel than Nynaeve balefiring already burning Fades?

I never claimed that the Fades was a duel, that was more of a battle. Keep in mind that fades don't die right away, and that their dangerous even after their dead. Amico was flickering in and out meaning she wasn't aware, I was merely pointing out that it was an ambush not a duel.

Amico was flickering in and out meaning she wasn't aware, I was merely pointing out that it was an ambush not a duel.

Again, not sure why people think Nyn/Eggy would be a 10 feet away staring match. If they are using all their skills in combat the location could very well change many times and there could possibly be traps/ambush. Our side said from the start Egwene could not win a strenght/strength arm wrestle like Nyn/Mogi.

Once again when talking about general skills that would be employed in something like this Nyn is "dismal", "too specialized",  "her training had been cut far too short." and by her own words

WH

"Often they wanted her to teach things she did not know as well as others—too often, things she barely knew at all, she admitted reluctantly; she had not really had much training in the Tower—"

Every single one of those quotes is directly from author or text backing up Nyn lack of skills/knowledge outside of healing. Here dexterity quite clearly is shown to be terrible throughout the series in things aside from healing.

Amico was flickering in and out meaning she wasn't aware, I was merely pointing out that it was an ambush not a duel.

Again, not sure why people think Nyn/Eggy would be a 10 feet away staring match. If they are using all their skills in combat the location could very well change many times and there could possibly be traps/ambush. Our side said from the start Egwene could not win a strenght/strength arm wrestle like Nyn/Mogi.

well for one I am assuming that they both are fighting, and that they know they are fighting, not one person sitting there waiting to get hit

I suddenly have this image of Nynaeve using her awesome travel-in-the-wild skills to sneak up on Egwene. It would be amusingly oldfashioned, hearkening back all the way to tEotW ;)

I never claimed that the Fades was a duel, that was more of a battle. Keep in mind that fades don't die right away, and that their dangerous even after their dead. Amico was flickering in and out meaning she wasn't aware, I was merely pointing out that it was an ambush not a duel.

You didn't claim that. What you did was ignore the context of my post completely, and waste everyones time. I showed Egwene's use of stilling as an example to counter BFGs example, which was Nynaeve making Balefire. You ignored all that.

As to the quote on Water and Air... yes you did quote it. Why you're still confused on this issue is beyond me. The entire quote is right there.

well for one I am assuming that they both are fighting, and that they know they are fighting, not one person sitting there waiting to get hit

Why in the hell would that rule out a trap or ambush? We see quite clearly in the Rahvin/Rand & Sammael/Rand fight those things happen all the time. Further I just realized you never specified no Tar in your first post of this thread. We obviously need to take that out of the equation or it is no contest...

Why in the hell would that rule out a trap or ambush? We see quite clearly in the Rahvin/Rand & Sammael/Rand fight those things happen all the time. Further I just realized you never specified no Tar in your first post of this thread. We obviously need to take that out of the equation or it is no contest...

A duel would mean a OP duel, since only one is a dreamer. Moggy's a Dreamer, but she and Nynaeve duelled. Sammael/Rand wasn't a duel.

Archived