DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RECIPE EXCHANGE - Desserts

Kivam

Post favorite dessert recipes here. And yes, I'd better see some Mousse Au Chocolat!!

This is my mother's apple pie recipe - best I've ever had, by far.

Ima's Apple Pie

Preheat Oven to 450

1 Pie Crust

For the topping

.5 Cup + 2 Tbsp Flour

.5 Cup Light Brown Sugar

.5 Cup Sugar

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 Stick cold butter (chill in fridge), cut into small pieces

Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Rub in butter in small pieces until it forms moist, coarse crumbs that clump easily

For the filling

7 Medium Granny Smith apples

1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

.5 Cup Sugar

3 Tbsp Flour

.5 Tsp Cinnamon

.5 Tsp Nutmeg

Peel, halve and core the apples, and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.

In a large bowl, toss with lemon juice to coat

In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; sprinkle over apple slices and toss to coat

Fill pie shell, mounding higher in the center, and cover with topping.

Bake 15 minutes at 450, the reduce to 350 and bake another 45 minutes

Guest Majsju

Delicious Rhubarb pie.

3 dl flour

125 gram margarine or butter

2 TBsp water

4-6 stems of rhubarb

1 dl sugar

1-2 Tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 225C

Mix the flour and the margarine in a bowl, when it's thoroughly mashed together add the water and mix it until it's nicely workable.

Let it rest cold for 30 minutes.

Take half of the dough, and fill the inside of a pie shell.

Peel and cut the rhubarb stems into pieces, mix them with most of the sugar.

Put the pieces in the pie shell, and put the remaining sugar and the cinnamon over them.

Flatten the rest of the dough, and make slices about a centimeter wide to put over the pie shell. Make sure to not cover completely!

If you want, you can take a whipped egg and add a little touch to the pie lid.

Put the pie at the bottom of the oven for about 35 minutes.

Let it cool a little, and serve as it is, or with icecream, vanilla sauce or cream.

I found this recipe at my local grocery store and it is AMAZING.

Apple Pie Down Under

237ml (1C) Sugar

45ml (3tbsp) flour

5ml (1tsp) ground cinnamon

5ml (1tsp) grated lemon zest

0.62ml (1/8tsp) ground cloves

0.62ml (1/8tsp) salt

8 apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced

1 prepared 23cm (9-inch) pie pastry, unbaked

118ml (1/2c) flour

118ml (1/2c) sugar

118ml (1/2c) shredded cheddar cheese

dash salt

60ml (4tbsp) margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 204°C (400°F)

In a large bowl mix together first 6 ingredients. Add apples to mixture. Put the apple mixture into the pastry (which should be in a pie plate).

Combine the last 5 ingredients. And crumble over the pie.

Bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Note: I found that there was WAY too much apple mixture to go into one pie crust so I divided it between two pie crusts then also divided the topping between two(the amounts of apple stuff and topping was enough to go into two and you do not need to alter those amounts).

Guest Karana Majin

I'll stick this in every thread... (I rounded some of the numbers to realistic measuring)

m e t r i c c o n v e r s i o n c h a r t

U.S. Units Metric Units

1 teaspoon = 5 milliliters

1 tablespoon = 15 milliliters

1 fluid ounce = 29.5 milliliters

1 cup (8 fl. ounces) = 237 milliliters

1 pint (16 fl. ounces) = 473 milliliters

1 quart (32 fl. ounces) = 946 milliliters

1 gallon (128 fl. ounces) = 3.8 liters

And the reverse...

1 milliliter = 0.2 teaspoon

1 centiliter = 2.0 teaspoons

1 deciliter = 0.5 cup

1 liter = 1.0 quarts

1 dekaliter = 2.6 gallons

1 teaspoon (metric) = 1.015 teaspoons

1 tablespoon (metric) = 3.044 teaspoons

1 standard cup = 1.0567 cups

Hope this helps!

Guest Karana Majin

Finally, the stuff I sink my teeth into! I made this recipe the first time 3 years ago for my daughter's First Communion party, made it several times for picnics and again last night for a game night with friends. Every time rave reviews. Recipe from Cooking Light magazine.

Strawberry-Almond Cream Tart

Prepare the crust and filling up to 2 days ahead. You'll have extra glaze--try it on ice cream or pound cake.

Crust:

36 honey graham crackers (about 9 sheets)

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 teaspoons water

Cooking spray

Filling:

2/3 cup light cream cheese

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Topping:

6 cups small fresh strawberries, divided

2/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare crust, place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, and water; pulse just until moist. Place mixture in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray, pressing into bottom and up sides of pan to 3/4 inch. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.

To prepare filling, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and extracts in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of tart shell.

To prepare topping, place 2 cups strawberries in food processor; process until pureed. Combine strawberry puree, 2/3 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute. Remove glaze from heat, and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Combine 4 cups strawberries and juice; toss to coat. Arrange berries, bottoms up, in a circular pattern over filling. Spoon half of glaze evenly over berries (reserve remaining glaze for another use). Sprinkle nuts around edge. Cover and chill 3 hours.

Note: You can use either an 8 x 12-inch rectangular pan or a 9-inch round tart pan. The recipe also works with a 9-inch springform pan and a 10-inch pie plate.

Yield: 10 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING

CALORIES 289(28% from fat); FAT 8.9g (sat 4.2g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 4.5g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; CALCIUM 59mg; SODIUM 242mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 48.7g

Guest Majsju

"Fattiga riddare" (Poor Knights)

3-4 portions

1 egg

3 dl milk

1 dl wheat flour

8 loaves of white bread

1 TBsp margarine or butter

sugar

cinnamon

Whip the egg and a little of the milk

Mix in the flour and whip til it's smooth and nice

Add the rest of the milk

Put the bread in, one or two at a time, until they get soft.

Fry the softened bread in the margarine on both side until they are nicely brown.

pour sugar and cinnamon over.

Serve warm with jam of some berries, I prefer strawberry or raspberry, but most berries should work fine.

Passover desserts and snacks are generally pale imitations of the real thing (it's hard to make cakes etc. without using flour or other non-kosher for passover ingredients, though the Chefs at the Ritz Carlton [i worked at a passover program there] did some amazing things). But this is a family recipe that is good enough to eat year round.

Matza Brittle

4-6 Matzas

1 Cup Margerine

1 Cup Brown Sugar

3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips

2 Cups Chopped Pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 and line a cooking sheet with tin foil. Lay out the matza pieces on the cooking sheet

In a small pot, combine the margerine and brown sugar at medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Cook 3 more minutes

Lower heat to 350 and pour the margerine/brown sugar mixture over the Matza. Place it in the oven immediately and cook 15 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn

Take it out of the oven and immediately sprinkle the Matza with chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Let it stand, and spread the chocolate over the Matza as it melts. cut the matza into pieces while still warm, and put it in the freezer to chill

Guest Egwene

Mousse au chocolat...or chocolate mousse.... whichever, it is wicked!!

AS THIS RECIPE CONTAINS RAW EGGS THE USUAL SUSCEPTIVE GROUPS (PREGNANT WOMEN ETC.) SHOULD AVOID IT!!

This is really easy. The chocolate I normally use has 38% cocoa solids though it's great using white chocolate as well (experiment!). I have at times varied the amounts of cream and/or eggwhite making it more or less solid. Just try it once and change quantities to suit your liking. As long as you whisk everything well, quantities don't have to be that exact. The only bad one I made, I had used coffee granules that didn't dissolve!!! Oophs!! Once I forgot half the eggs and it still tasted delicious..lol.

300gr plain chocolate - melt (if using microwave, check and stir frequently, leave to cool a little)

6 (medium) egg whites - beaten (fairly stiff)

250ml double cream - whipped (fairly stiff but don't turn it into butter)

6 (medium) egg yolks - beaten for a few minutes

2 lg. spoonfull of Rum - or brandy or other flavour you like..

1 teasspoon of instant coffee - dissolved in as little hot water as possible (too much liquid and the mousse won't set)

whisk (I use electric) the rum and coffe into the eggyolk mix, add melted chocolate and whisk until well combined - put into a large bowl

fold in egg whites and cream

leave refrigerated overnight.

Kivam' date=' just what exactly is Matza?[/quote']

Matza is unleavened bread, eaten by jews on passover and by non-jews who have discovered it year-round. It's basically a large cracker. There's a picture of a piece of matza here (along with more information on it then anyone really needs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzah (the machine made matza is better for matza brittle than hand made)

http://www.jewish-holiday.com/organicmatza.html also has more info than necessary. There will be Matza available anywhere there is a jewish community, at the very least.

Guest Majsju

Hmmm, I don't think there are enough jews around here to motivate running a store for such things, so I'll have to learn to make it if I want to try it I guess. Typical, as baking is the one thing in a kitchen I'm not good at...

Hmmm' date=' I don't think there are enough jews around here to motivate running a store for such things, so I'll have to learn to make it if I want to try it I guess. Typical, as baking is the one thing in a kitchen I'm not good at...[/quote']

:D

If you're near stockholm, give these guys a call, and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction. http://www.jf-stockholm.org/tourist/ With passover coming up, there should be plenty of Matza available (FYI, "Matza" is a hebrew word so it doesn't need to be translated into swedish to be understandable)

The other option is to just substitute flatbread or any other thin, large wafer type bread.

Guest Majsju

Meh, I'm quite far from Stockholm, that's way up in the cold north...

Could take a look next timer I'm in Copenhagen though, a city that big should have it somewhere.

Meh' date=' I'm quite far from Stockholm, that's way up in the cold north...

Could take a look next timer I'm in Copenhagen though, a city that big should have it somewhere.[/quote']

But . . . Stockholm's in Sweden. And you're Swedish. So you must be close together. Does . . . not . . . compute :lol:

Try this site then http://www.kosherdelight.com/Denmark.shtml

I absolutely love flapjack, and I think there are others on here that will do too. It really is one of the simplest deserts/snacks that can be baked I think. The amount of ingrediants should make enough flapjack to keep you munching for a while...or all day depending on whether you like it like I do!

Porridge (chopped rolled) oats 125 g

Rolled oats 125 g

Margarine 150 g

Golden syrup 75 g

Sugar 75 g

1)Put the margarine, sugar & golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.

2)Meanwhile line the baking tin with greaseproof paper.

3)Mix all the oats into the liquid.

Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.

Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4) for 25 to 30 minutes. Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.

4)Slice into 8 fingers (by cutting into half along the perpendicular bisector of two sides and into quarters perpendicular to the first cut) before it sets but leave in place in tin.

Leave to cool and set.

These are the instructions for baking chewy flapjack. Crunchy flapjack is baked by merely adding 15 degrees to temp. Also try adding blueberries and cherrys. Nice! Infact, experiment with anything ( student pot heads take note).

Guest Majsju

Kivam, try looking at a map;)

I live in Skåne, the southernmost part of Sweden. I consider everything else a frozen thundra that we could just as well sell to Russia :lol:

And thanks for the link, I know at least half of those streets from the top of my head, so easy to find :)

I live in Skåne' date=' the southernmost part of Sweden. I consider everything else a frozen thundra that we could just as well sell to Russia :lol:

[/quote']

Note to the rest of you: This is why people living in Skåne can't visit the rest of Sweden; they'll be beaten to death with sticks... :lol:

Got this recipe from a cooking class

Molten Chocolate Cake

4 oz Butter

8 oz Semisweet Chocolate

4 large Eggs

1 Egg yolk

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

.25 tsp Salt

.5 cups Sugar

2 tbsp Flour

Butter & flour 8 6oz ramekins and preheat oven to 400

melt the butter and chocolate together over gently simmering water (fill a small pot with water and bring it to a simmer, melt the butter and chocolate in another pot or a metal bowl balanced on top of the pot of water)

beat eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and has tripled in volume

pour the egg mix over the chocolate and add the flour, mixing until the color is even.

Pour the batter into the ramekins and bake 12-13 minutes (the cakes should have risen about .5 inch over the ramekin rim and have a thin crust and a jiggly center

run a knife around the edge of the ramekins and invert the cake onto the serving plate. Garnish with whipped cream or confectioners sugar, and serve immediately

theses are two things I like to make and love to eat

No-Bake Cheesecake

8 oz cream cheese

4 oz granulated sugar

1 carton cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 oz butter

about half a packet of bicuits(i usually use plain)

Mix cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until well blended.

Whip cream with vanilla in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.

melt butter. Crush biscuit to crumbs and add to melted butter and then press it all down on the bottom of the dish your going to use to put the chessecake mix in. pour the chessecake mix on top of the biscuit thing you just did and refrigerate overnight. Top with fresh fruit ect, if you want

gingerbread (it like a thick softer version if you do it in a deepish dish)

add the sugar, butter and syrup together in a pan and warm(not to hot) so it all mixes. in another pan warm the milk. beat the egg. add all the dry ingredients together and then add everything else together(the egg, milk, ect) mix it all up slap(or pour if careful) in a greased dish, tin, so on, and put in the oven at about 160 C for about 30 -40 mins or till it looks done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a fun kid's party or halloween party recipe:

Graveyard Pie

Choclate cake mix (or from scratch)

Gummy; worms, spiders, bugs

Choclate pudding

Ice cream (any flavor) optional

First you bake choclate cake (following any recipe of your choice) let cool

Prepare the pudding

Mix the cake and pudding together, add gummy creatures and serve!

Always a hit with chocolate lovers and people with a sense of humor!!!

:P

Archived