DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Main Character Dark Friends

kasheem

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a "dark friend" of the originals?

• Rand al'Thor
    • Perrin Aybara
    • Matrim Cauthon
    • Moiraine Damodred
    • Nyneave al'Meara
    • Egwene al'Vere
    • Lan Mandragoran
    • Thom Merrillin
    • None of the above

Before reading any further, please note there is a HIGH chance of spoilers.

I am currently on my first readthrough and have decided to believe at least one of the "originals" (the group that left the two rivers together plus Nyneave) is in some form a "dark friend". A large part of this is due to me suffering from what I have deemed "Shyamalanism", a need for a major twist. I haven't delved too much into theories yet, I only finished the series roughly a year and a half ago. From that time though, I have seen quite a few people claiming either Perrin or Mat must be and most end up saying Mat. In this day and age though, a no twist would also be a great move to make since most are seeming to anticipate at least one turning out to be so that is an option as well. I'm extremely curious to see how many will go with none as well as seeing the spread amongst everyone.

This is open to multiple answers, but I truly BEG for people to sustain from doing that unless they truly deeply believe more than one is going to be some from of a "dark friend".

My vote is going with Moiraine.

I definitely think there will be twists at the end of the series but I do not think the main cast of characters, or rather you should say the original party is Darkfriends, there is no indications on any of them, there are extensive point of view chapters of each of the eight and they have never done anything to suggest that they are Darkfriends. I definitely do not think any of the five from Two Rivers could be, each of them have been in focus of the story to much and they have done to much that directly weakened the Shadow. I do not think Moiraine could be, New Spring give such detail to her back story so if she had been a Darkfriend there would have been indications there, and why would she become in the time between New Spring and Eye of the World? Moiraine would not seam to have anything to gain from it. With Lan it do not seam to be in his character and further into the series he is no longer really that much of a main character anymore, that leaves Thom. I think that if any of the original party of eight is a Darkfriend it have to be Thom, not because I think it is probable but because there are not that many point of view chapters from him and he is the one who is the least impossible and there are actually some unanswered questions about him and how he got out of some sticky situations. I am voting none of them but if I had to appoint a candidate it would be Thom.

After ToM, I don't think any of the the people listed is currently a darkfriend.

I do feel that it is in each person's character to turn to the dark in the final book if he/she feels it would save others. In so many word's, sacrifice the one to save the many.

After ToM, I don't think any of the the people listed is currently a darkfriend.

I do feel that it is in each person's character to turn to the dark in the final book if he/she feels it would save others. In so many word's, sacrifice the one to save the many.

that works too. Dark Friend might not be the correct term, it just seemed simpler to me to use it though.

It is possible that one or more of the characters might turn to the Shadow to save their friends however I do not think it is likely since all of them know how bad an idea deals with the Shadow is and that they would then be used as instruments against their friends and the causes they believe in later, it just do not seam likely that any of them would make that choice, but if it was a sacrifice to save their loved ones then perhaps.

Egwene is actually the only one to me that would make sense being a DF

Wait what? Before I respond I just want to be clear, you are saying it would currently make sense for Egwene to be a DF?

Before everyone else on that list I think she makes the most sense.

Ok so you meant for the purpose of this poll in having to chose one. Just wanted to be clear that you weren't saying it actually "makes sense" for her to be one within the context of the story after all the times we have been inside her head. It is quite clear the pressure she feels in unifying the WT to face the shadow.

Do have to admit this may be the strangest poll I have seen here at DM. Obviously none of them are DFs at this point.

Do have to admit this may be the strangest poll I have seen here at DM. Obviously none of them are DFs at this point.

It is seeming to turn out this way. perhaps I asked this a book or two to late, but I had never caught up on the series until this last book (only started reading it in 07 and am not an avid reader). However I had seen on many different places a lot of speculation, mostly at mat having a hidden past life to explain many of the strange things around him. I just thought it was a fun question to ask prior to the final book, if one does turn out to be a darkfriend I can't wait to look this thing up and bring it back from the dead to laugh hysterically :).

Oh, I believe this has been put to rest many, many books ago. A good reference is the 13th depository article on Who Is Not A Darkfriend. Of all those, Thom is the only one with whom the question isn't utterly absurd, by any twist one might come up with, but TSR should've put an end to that as well.

the first one I read for some reason turned out to be Galad. reading that one invalidated the entire list for me.

the first one I read for some reason turned out to be Galad. reading that one invalidated the entire list for me.

How so? Linda is unapologetic about her beliefs, so you might find a few on that list that you can argue, but you always know why she thinks as she does. What about that quote from ToM left any possibility for his being a DF?

How so? Linda is unapologetic about her beliefs, so you might find a few on that list that you can argue, but you always know why she thinks as she does. What about that quote from ToM left any possibility for his being a DF?

her reasoning behind galad was that he would deny being a dark friend, need I say more really?? I don't think that he is a dark friend, but that doesn't prove he isn't.

her reasoning behind galad was that he would deny being a dark friend, need I say more really?? I don't think that he is a dark friend, but that doesn't prove he isn't.

If you take that quote in context and add it up with all his other povs it actually does prove it. If he is a DF then he is in deep cover from his own mind.

The thing was if RJ was going to do as you say there would be forshadowing and hints sprinkled trough out. That is most certainly not the case for any of the characters you list an most of their povs rule them out conclusively.

I strongly disagree and believe many characters have had possibilities left open. I don't think any are currently set up for it in a foreshadowing way, but I believe many characters if revealed to be dark friends or turned to the shadow in the final book we would all look back and see many many many things making it seem obvious in hindsight. Galad would be the perfect "hidden in plain sight" villain. No suspicion due to having done what is morally right all the time would be a brilliant cover to pick if one was a dark friend.

Galad would be the perfect "hidden in plain sight" villain. No suspicion due to having done what is morally right all the time would be a brilliant cover to pick if one was a dark friend.

Sure if you think about his character "type"in a vacuum and ignore all his actions and povs. He thinks to himself how important it is to get the WCs together and ready to fight for the light at TG. He rails at the corruption in the WCs in not doing what is right for the light. There is not a shred of evidence anywhere in the books you can pull to show he might be a DF. If he is then he has been lying to himself.

Archived