DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue ON SALE MIDNIGHT TONIGHT EST

Luckers

It would really help if you read the instructions. (apologies if you have and it doesn't work)

Okay, if you've purchase via DM: At midnight, please login to DM and go to this link to download the ebook.

For people in Australia, may want to keep an eye on this. It isn't available at the moment, but it is the .au google books, so it may become available somehow?

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/By_Grace_and_Banners_Fallen_Prologue_to.html?id=ZA3oLls5X9gC&redir_esc=y

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased it and downloaded it via DM and I am in Australia :) Where there is a will there is a way. I get to support the site and read the Prologue. Win/Win .I just finished reading it too..........WOW can't wait for the rest

How did you do that? I would like to support the site as well.

I assume if you put in false details you can buy it with an AU credit card, unlike itunes ect.

If you put in AU details already you will have to clear cookies.

EDIT: Yeah, Dragonmount doesn't seem to use international credit card information, it just checks that it is real and charges it.

I had to make a new account because dragonmout knows where this one is apparently, but I bought it from Australia, downloaded and reading it now.

On my ipad in epub format Fish, don't know what is wrong at your end.

I meant on my Kindle Fire - not DM - when I said "scammed."

Looks like - on its own - the Amazon Kindle Fire cant open it.

I went to Amazons app store and the only ereader available for the Kindle Fire is friggin Adobe and IT wont open it either!

Grrr.

Fish

FISH!!! Where's Mat's luck when you need it!

I hope you manage to get it workin!

Downloaded to my Kindle Fire straight from Lucker's link here on DM and still just getting a big ''Can Not Open File'' :-(

...just don't understand why Im not reading it right now...

Fish, calm down. I'll get you through this, I promise.

First thing's first: did you download the .prc file (Kindle legacy format) or the .epub file (the de facto industry standard, that Amazon refuse to natively support for some reason)?

Kindle Fires can not. Repeat: Can NOT open MOBI Files.

What does this mean? The AMOL prologue IS (at least here in the Dragonmount Store) a MOBI File.

So. Unless someone very, very nice with the AMOL Prologue on a device that DOES support MOBI Files sends it to you as a PDF, you will be out of luck.

Then what you do is use a File Manager App (I like "ES") and open it there using a "Reader App" - both Amazon Kindle (the reader app,not the device itself) and Adobe work great.

Then you are set.

I spent half the night grousing and researching and I hope what Ive learner helps Kindle Fire users out there!!!

Fish

Okay, a bit of background into Amazon formats: .mobi is the old format, used on Kindle 1st gen. It was then improved into .prc on Kindle 2nd gen, and later turned into .azw on Kindle 3rd and 4th gen. (they now plan on using .azw3 for Kindle paperwhite, if anyone's interested; I know I am, it looks so cool!)

Why Amazon decided to go against industry standards (the familiar .epub) I don't know, but it probably has something to do with some Kindle features, such as page-numbering, text-to-speech and time-left (on the new model). Either way, it's their decision, I guess.

The DM store offers both .epub and .mobi/.prc (I've seen both, in different cases). If you're a Kindle user, the best way to get a .mobi/.prc file onto your device is to email it to your @kindle.com email address. Amazon would automatically translate it to the newest format and deliver it to your device via Whispersync (you can control the device it goes to in the Mange My Kindle page on Amazon.com). Of course, you can always use software such as Calibre to change the format yourself, and keep the new file for backup.

When you registered your Kindle, you got the chance to set up an email address, with domain kindle.com, that would be your portal for sending personal documents to your Kindle. You can configure it anytime from your Kindle account, Personal Documents tab (on the left pane, from your Manage My Kindle page; for me, the url is this, if that helps).

Whenever you email a file to that address (from a trusted email address only; those are also managed from the same page), it will be delivered to your device automatically, using the same network that syncs all of your books and placeholders, the Whispersync. You should use a blank email with no subject for most cases (although, if you put "convert" in the subject, while sending a .pdf or .doc or similar files, Kindle will automatically try to convert it to its native format. The process yields results of differing quality, depending on the file in question). Older Kindle formats automatically get converted even if you don't use that tag. As for how much time it should take, no more than 5 minutes in most cases, less if no conversion is needed.

Let me know if you encounter any problems with this method, Fish (or anyone else).

Thanks, Yoniyo. Ive been working on this too. It looks like, well, first you need a reader on your computer - I used Kindle on mine as my comp's Adobe didn't seem up to the task. Then, I downloaded the prolouge from DM using the *prc* choice to my computer. Then I downloaded it using the reader. Then I attached the newly downloaded file into anoutgoing email that was sent to my kindle fire's email address (Which YoniyO covers very well).

Im going to see what happens next...

Fish

Update: OMG, it did it!!!

Looks GREAT on my Kindle Fire!

Ok, it IS a bit of a long and convoluted process (but much of that is probably me), but for Kindle Fire users, the way to do this is pretty much what Yoniyo and I gave the steps for above. To summarize:

1 First you need a ''Reader'' on your computer - I used Kindle on mine as my comp's Adobe didn't seem up to the task. If you don't have this yet, you can get it in your comp's ''App Store'' and its free. Then, I downloaded the prologue from DM using the *prc* choice to my computer. Then I OPENED it on my computer using the Reader. (Again, I used Kindle). Then I attached the newly downloaded file into an outgoing email that was sent from my computer to my Kindle Fire's email address (Which YoniyO covers very well just TWO POSTS UP).

2 Now, go back to your Kindle Fire. Homepage. ''Documents Tab.'' As Yon said, this may take several minutes - especially depending on connection speed you have for your internet. But, after a bit, click on that Documents Tab and...it should be there!!! :)

Yay!

Go Team, LOL!

Fish

Archived