DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Approved Warders Bio for Letair Narasam Sar-Orani--CC'd by WT (Finally)

devon

Character’s name: Letair Narasam Sar-Orani
Age (must be 16 - 21):
Place of Origin (must be from the mainland of Randland): Saldaea, but of mixed Saldaen/Andoran descent
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 180cms
Weight: 80 kilograms

Brief History: Letair was born in Saldaea, to a Saldaean mother and an Andoran father. Over the years of their marriage, his mother grew to hate his father, for not behaving as she believed a man should, how she had be raised to expect. She abused him more and more in private, become severely physically violent to try and exact the response she so dearly craved, but his father had been brought up to never raise his voice to a woman, and to never put a finger upon her in anger. Her anger spread to her only child, and at the tender age of twelve, Letair snapped.

In a rage, fuelled by his Saldaen upbringing he stormed in on his parents with a wooden knife he had taken from their meagre possessions. He entered their bedroom to find his father mangled, his arm broken in two places and his legs both bleeding all over. His mother turned to face him, and he saw madness in her eyes. She advanced toward him, malice dripping. Fear, anger and horror flowed through his already tall body as she closed, he was certain he would not survive the encounter. His hand slid forward and the knife plunged into her heart. His mother, his poor, dear mother collapsed onto him, pushing him to the ground, blood pouring out in a rush all around the knife. Completely horrified, and on the brink of retching, Letair backed away from the corpse, soaked in blood.

Before he could panic, his father’s calm voice reached out to him, and stopped Letair from fleeing. Mind going numb to avoid the pain, Letair followed his father’s instructions to pull the bloody knife from the dead body, and he walked over to his father. The one good arm left to the man reached out and closed around Letair’s shaking hand and the knife. He then slowly plunged it into his own heart, whispering that this was better than the life he would have had to live as his lungs emptied for the last time. Letair, left the room, knife still in his hand. He left Saldaea, and the Borderlands entirely, living off of what he could scrounge from the charitable and steal from the unwary, though he never was a good thief. The bloodstained knife remained always around his neck, covered in an enamel to protect it from water. He drifted between towns, and the Great Cities, never staying too long for fear of being caught by a thief-taker, but even so not avoid a fair share of brawls.

After four years of wandering, Letair ended up in the Cairhienin Foregate, on one of the rare occasions that he had enough money to stay at an inn he fatefully chose the Fat Cat Inn. Sitting in the cosy common room, he noticed two rough looking men acting shifty, not unlike himself, and he followed them when they tried to slip up the stairs unseen. Upon remaining undetected after following them to the top floor he listened at the door they had entered. Through the mutter he could understand, he deciphered that they had kidnapped innkeeper’s daughter. Cursing his knack for attracting trouble he flung open the door and took on the kidnappers, really only glorified bandits, and knocked them both unconscious.

After tying both of the scum, as he thought of them, he grabbed the band of keys that the uglier of the two had held. Raising his voice to a conversational tone, he managed to exact a squeak from the kidnapped girl. After his frustration exploded after not being able to open the cupboard door with any of its keys, he ripped it off with adrenaline-fuelled strength. He spent the rest of that night comforting the terrified girl. Letair spent the next six years of his life taking care of the girl particularly after the death of her father. Her name was Ceridwyn Taereth, and it took a lot of effort keeping her out of the brawls and fights she seemed to attract. When she was discovered by the White Tower, and taken there to be entered as a novice Letair was forgotten, but he followed on foot, and hopes to become a Warder to defend his close friend. She had left only a brief note, saying where she had gone, but his new-found fatherly (or at least elder-brotherly) instinct made him follow, trekking cross-country to Tar Valon.

Edited by Kathleen

My issue with this is the (based on the bio) untrained young man winning a fight against two opponents. This does not seem realistic for a person who will start with a WS 5, at most.

We have a timing issue here. The girl he speaks of who becomes a novice, Ceridwyn Taereth, is an actual White Tower character. Novices "live" in retro, and warders don't, as far as I'm aware. This means that in our time line, the novice probably came to the Tower anything from 15 to 200 years ago.

My issue with this is the (based on the bio) untrained young man winning a fight against two opponents. This does not seem realistic for a person who will start with a WS 5, at most.

Oh. That's cool, good point. Can you please modify it to only one guy Devon?

We have a timing issue here. The girl he speaks of who becomes a novice, Ceridwyn Taereth, is an actual White Tower character. Novices "live" in retro, and warders don't, as far as I'm aware. This means that in our time line, the novice probably came to the Tower anything from 15 to 200 years ago.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with this. I'll drag BBee into this discussion.

I think that the Warders are in retro, but, for obvious reasons, not as far in retro as the White Tower. This is conceivably possible, but if the intent is for Ceridwyn Taereth to bond Letair Narasam Sar-Orani, then he would be somewhere around 40, if not even older.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I'm going to ask the Warders Group Leader to check in on the thread to make sure that the retro thing is okay. If he says it is, then I'll approve the bio.

Sorry for the delay on this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is the Warder planning to have future interaction with the AS? I assume since the name was given that it is a yes. I haven't looked into this yet, but does anyone know the age of the AS? I don't know about allowing it all in retro. It would be messy to do on both ends if it was very far back in retro and I don't want get started wading through similar requests to mess with timeline of individual characters as that would make things very very messy to play.

If the AS is going to be Raised to the Shawl in the Main Timeline and thus only going to the tower 20 - 30 years before and the Warder joined the Tower Guard at the same time he would still be 36-56 in the current year and if both want to play under the conditions and limitations of that I have no problem backing that.

If you want to accept that much of a retro it could be work able on our end, but if the AS is older she will be playing Current Year, or roughly there, after her raising, so it would impractical if she wants an age of 90+ (if she ever wants to be Sitter or hold any IC staffing positions) then the Warder would have to be 90+ also. 

If he doesn't want to have a relationship with this AS he could just change the name in the bio and work it out. And if he does want a relationship with this AS another option would be to have them meet while he is a tower guard and she is already AS. 

I don't mind letting our Warders doing a retro but there will have to be a limit, I agree with you about the potential mess that retro-rp'ing would create.

For this particular case, they have been waiting for a response since September so I am willing to push this one through but all future retro requests, that is something that we definitely will need to discuss offline via emails or PM.

Letair was supposed to be a father figure to the AS anyways but I'll let them confirm this for me if this is what they really want. If not, then I agree with your alternative; give the girl in the bio a different name and Letair can meet the AS in Current Year.

If the AS is going to be Raised to the Shawl in the Main Timeline and
thus only going to the tower 20 - 30 years before and the Warder joined
the Tower Guard at the same time he would still be 36-56 in the current
year and if both want to play under the conditions and limitations of
that I have no problem backing that.

I'll have to poke BB, but I'm pretty sure this was exactly we intended.