DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Foreshadowing of Elayne and Rand before he even met her

spoke

Rand has a strange dream while on the road to Camelyn (EOTW). This is interesting in it Thom is juggling while sitting on a litter that Rand is pulling and stating "The queen is married to the land, but the Dragon is one with the land." This is an interesting foreshadowing of Rand's eventual marriage to Elayne. Right now they are only bonded, but doesn't this suggest that they will actually be married at some point?

Rand has a strange dream while on the road to Camelyn (EOTW). This is interesting in it Thom is juggling while sitting on a litter that Rand is pulling and stating "The queen is married to the land, but the Dragon is one with the land." This is an interesting foreshadowing of Rand's eventual marriage to Elayne. Right now they are only bonded, but doesn't this suggest that they will actually be married at some point?

Could be a foreshadowing of a future marriage to Elayne, but it seems a little tenuous to me. No mention of the queen of which land and lacking a capital Q, the reading tends more towards a generic/proverbial "queen" rather than any particular Queen. Nice interpretation though, first time I've seen that dream viewed in that regard. IMO, if Rand marries, he'll marry all three in the Aiel fashion. Or rather, any/all of the three that survive TG.

Could be a foreshadowing of a future marriage to Elayne, but it seems a little tenuous to me. No mention of the queen of which land and lacking a capital Q, the reading tends more towards a generic/proverbial "queen" rather than any particular Queen. Nice interpretation though, first time I've seen that dream viewed in that regard. IMO, if Rand marries, he'll marry all three in the Aiel fashion. Or rather, any/all of the three that survive TG.

Good point - If I were Rand, I'd wait to see who survives before saying "I do" to any of them. ;)

On a bit more of a serious note - culturally, he'd have to ask Elayne and Min but Aviendha would have to ask him to marry..... bit of a pickle.

Good point - If I were Rand, I'd wait to see who survives before saying "I do" to any of them. ;)

On a bit more of a serious note - culturally, he'd have to ask Elayne and Min but Aviendha would have to ask him to marry..... bit of a pickle.

With the way the bonding went down, I'm not so sure about that part. And I don't think Rand Therin would fight too hard either.

First, the original does contain a capital 'Q':

"The Queen is wed to the land," Thom said as brightly colored balls danced in a circle, "but the Dragon... the Dragon is one with the land, and the land is one with the Dragon."

But that was after Bunt told Rand that:

ah, no man knows the mind of a woman, and a queen is twice a woman, wed to a man, wed to the land.

So it doesn't take very much to understand where Rand's psyche got that phrase from. Still, RJ was fond of using such occurrences for Foreshadowing (such as Perrin mentioning the King of Saldaea when there was none).

Archived