DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Murder She Wrote! - Unsolved Mysteries! - Still lots of unexplained deaths heading into AMOL

The Fisher King

RJ said we would NOT be told every little answer to everything but we better find out who was behind a bunch of the murders and attempted murders we have had...like, the murder or murder/slaughter or murder *attempts* of:

Bashere's wife

All those poor Tinkers in TSR Ch 22

That governor/king guy in book 2 - rumors have it as Thom - but never confirmed.

Demira Sedai

All those staying in the manor house in KOD by sending the trollocs...

Which crimes am I forgetting that maybe we still don't know who the culprit was?

Fish

RJ said we would NOT be told every little answer to everything but we better find out who was behind a bunch of the murders and attempted murders we have had...like, the murder or murder/slaughter or murder *attempts* of:

Bashere's wife

That governor/king guy in book 2 - rumors have it as Thom - but never confirmed.

Demira Sedai

Which crimes am I forgetting that maybe we still don't know who the culprit was?

Fish

TSR's the 4th book, right? That's where a few of them make it back to the Two Rivers and Aram attaches himself to Perrin? That was Fain using Isam.

Also Dobraine similar to Bashere's wife (for the seals).

It is pretty much an open secret that Thom killed Galldrian.

Tinkers in LoC you mean? With "tell the Dragon Reborn"

With Demira the two likely suspects are Fain (via Whitecloaks) and Taim via Asha'man.

KoD attack again, Fain and Taim are main suspects. With the remote possibility of one of the Forsaken.

As for other crimes:

Herid Fel (who sent the Gholam). Sammael and Moridin seem most likely (only moridin because of the philosophical import, which he would identify and be most keen to avoid)

If we are counting crimes, not just kills, the Aiel that attacked Mat in LoC just afrer the Tinker incident. (Sammael is most likely again, used a gateway and he did have connections with Shaido)

On a kind of obscure note, you could add who killed Lanfear. She apparently died (to be transmigrated), when Moiraine didn't. Moiraine does have the story that they drained her too quickly, but there is some doubt in her mind. Moridin went to the ToG looking for Lanfear, so yeah, might be interesting.

Bashere's wife

As with Dobraine, almost certainly Darkfriends looking for the seals. On whose orders? We don't know. This goes all the way back to Domon in TGH. The only reason he went to Falme is because Darkfriends were on his tail, looking for his seal. They had forged orders from Galldrian, which caused some to theorize Graendal because she was a skilled forger. Dobraine's and Bashere's orders were also skillfully forged.

It's LOC, and this was probably either Sammael or Demandred, the military men. Sammael seems the more likely, partly because of his known contacts with Aiel, and partly because Mat was on the way to join the army gathering on the Plains of Maredo. They were not to invade Illian until Mat arrived; Rand said this publicly so that Sammael would learn of it. Both Sammael and Demandred would have reason to want to turn Rand against the Aiel, but Sammael has the other reason as well. For one who knows about the Aiel-Tinker relationship (like Rand), the main suspect would be the Aiel traveling south alongside Mat and the Band (always passing them). Mat's camp was also attacked by Aiel, probably looking for the seals.

This is as close to confirmed as it gets. Thom was going to kill Barthanes, but then he found out 1) Barthanes was already dead, and 2) the men who tried to kill him actually worked for Galldrian. It was his POV, and he was clearly setting out to kill Galldrian. The next day, we learn Galldrian is dead. Probably not a coincidence. Later we find out (also in Thom's POV) that he killed Taringail Damodred. You could say that's also not confirmed, but again, RJ does not like to spell things out. This is as close as it gets, usually.

Demira Sedai

As discussed in the thread on General, this was probably done on Taim's orders, and it was probably part of a larger scheme with Demandred and Mesaana up the chain. Verin was clearly working on orders when she expertly guided Demira to suggest the confrontation with Rand—Merana did not think that anyone but a Gray would have noticed—and Verin does not do things like this of her own volition. The Demira incident also serves the purpose of maybe turning Rand against the Aiel, turning him against the Aes Sedai (which is one of Taim's prime objectives), and turning the Aes Sedai against Rand and the Aiel.

Another possibility is Fain, who could also gain from turning all those groups against each other. One of the attackers referred to Aes Sedai as 'witches', and Fain has a group of trusty Whitecloaks to do such things for him. But that would make Verin's actions coincidental, and that seems very doubtful.

I think this was Fain. We might learn before the end, we might not. RJ always said he hated stories where everything was neatly wrapped up at the end. All the major plotlines will be resolved, but many minor ones will be left hanging.

I think this was Fain. We might learn before the end, we might not. RJ always said he hated stories where everything was neatly wrapped up at the end. All the major plotlines will be resolved, but many minor ones will be left hanging.

Yeah, haven't been able to find the quote lately but I recall something from RJ saying he wanted his characters to continue on "living their lives" or summat like that. The gist being we don't need to know every detail and have it spelled out. I tend to agree and it is part of the reason I am always so surprised when I see some fans stumping for a continuous series of "shared world" books like Star Wars or the like.

It's LOC, and this was probably either Sammael or Demandred, the military men. Sammael seems the more likely, partly because of his known contacts with Aiel, and partly because Mat was on the way to join the army gathering on the Plains of Maredo. They were not to invade Illian until Mat arrived; Rand said this publicly so that Sammael would learn of it. Both Sammael and Demandred would have reason to want to turn Rand against the Aiel, but Sammael has the other reason as well. For one who knows about the Aiel-Tinker relationship (like Rand), the main suspect would be the Aiel traveling south alongside Mat and the Band (always passing them). Mat's camp was also attacked by Aiel, probably looking for the seals.

There is an entire thread on who killed the Tinkers in LoC, in which there is a pretty good argument that it was Pedron Niall who sent Whitecloaks under Charridin. I'm not sure if I believe this, but this is definitely one mystery I would like to see solved, as it seemed important at the time.

Fish

Sahra Coventry - i think the other thread discussing her killing was debating whether knowing the identity of the killer would make any difference to the story or not.

Archived