DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So long as iron is hard and stone abides

finnland

My apologies if this has been covered in depth before, but in my re-read, I was struck anew with the recital of the oath of Malkieri Kings and Queens by Agelmar near the end of The Eye of the World. Most specifically the line:

"To stand against the shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides."

Though I don't know the significance (if any), but it can not be coincidence that in the prologue for A Memory of Light "Every scrap of metal in the camp had gone soft as lard." And the device by which Bayrd calms himself (and internally muses upon) is clicking stones together.

Almost feels like Verin's "hour of death" - only inasmuch as it's a promise that seemed to have no escape (it's doubtful any Malkieri would want to escape an oath to fight the shadow, Lan least of all).

Again, apologies if this has been covered...

My apologies if this has been covered in depth before, but in my re-read, I was struck anew with the recital of the oath of Malkieri Kings and Queens by Agelmar near the end of The Eye of the World. Most specifically the line:

Though I don't know the significance (if any), but it can not be coincidence that in the prologue for A Memory of Light "Every scrap of metal in the camp had gone soft as lard." And the device by which Bayrd calms himself (and internally muses upon) is clicking stones together.

Almost feels like Verin's "hour of death" - only inasmuch as it's a promise that seemed to have no escape (it's doubtful any Malkieri would want to escape an oath to fight the shadow, Lan least of all).

I think you hit the nail on the head. But, like Wombat, I don't think it will come to much. Unless, there's some inspirational bit where Lan says that, or someone says it to him, and then he says "and beyond" or something like that.

It was discussed, and I believe the general consenous was that since this is A) a localized event and B) Probably not known to those who take that oath, it appears that this is just one of those "That's a saying they use to mean forever"

However I'm shocked someone hasn't called foreshadowing out on it yet.

Regardless of significance, thats a damn good catch. Maybe its foreshaowing the (final) death of the Malkieri after their suicidal charge on Tarwin's Gap?

Not as funny as finnland's contribution but just as good of a catch.

They have to kill off some main characters. I keep thinking that if Lan goes, Nynaeve goes.

Regardless of significance, thats a damn good catch. Maybe its foreshaowing the (final) death of the Malkieri after their suicidal charge on Tarwin's Gap?

They have to kill off some main characters. I keep thinking that if Lan goes, Nynaeve goes.

Of all the characters I want Nynaeve to survive the most. Absolutely no reason to kill her.

Of all the characters I want Nynaeve to survive the most. Absolutely no reason to kill her.

It's funny. She started off in the first book as kind of annoying but she's one of my favorites. She's kinda bad ass and with all her griping seems to care about her friends and show it when it counts.

As someone who set out to protect the others, and for mostly that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets two zitis to the bonnet by the DO, unfortunately.

I wonder what Lan's reaction would be if his sword turns to putty in his hand..

I'm wondering if any of these occurrences, such as iron turning soft etc, happened in the AOL? It's never said outright, but wouldn't similar things have happened then? And if so, wouldn't some of those sayings and oaths we have currently come from the passing down of those tales over time?

Well everyone is only looking at the first part of the oath. As long as Iron is hard. What you are all leaving out is the Stone abides part. If you read the whole epilogue teaser clearly, the guy is making a stone spearhead and a great one and was asked by another guy to make a bunch more and even sent a guy off to find perfect stones to make the weapons with. So Stone still abides....what i think that scene was meant to to was show you that the metal going soft was the final sign that people needed to accept the fact that the end is coming and they have to fall in line with the army's of light and stop fighting petty wars against one another, or be swept away. So the bonds of oaths has been broken in terms of single nation allegiance and the time to band together is here. But stone still holds up as a weapon so they will carry on fighting.

Nifty catch, especially when added to what happened to Leane's prison cell--stone abides and iron is hard... not so much.

The foreshadow here may not be Lan giving up the Oath, but Lan dying--the end of the line of Malkieri Kings--and then perhaps renewed after TG with Lan's child and iron being hard once more.

Archived