DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why does Nynaeve ditch her bling?

Zorlon

Probably for the same reason she took off all her Angrael and Ter'angrael while they were cleaning Saidin. Because she woudnt be able to use them if linked with Rand using Callandor. So much more useful to give her very powerful angrael to someone who could use it to fight

But if that's the case, why is Moraine even there, in terms of power, she's a joke now. Wouldnt they need every bit of power they can summon? But we've seen that you can drawn thru multple Angreal's/San'Angreals at the same time. (TSR, Rand does it). So if that's why they're using Moraine, because she can still use her super Angreal, then why would Ny give her's up?

I forsee a super lame reason coming about. (Just my opinion).I mean who wouldn't need a Terangreal that protects you from channeling? Why would you give that up?

Honestly, I think Rand provides access to Callandor, Nynaeve the link and Moirane offers the knowledge to control. She's proven very, very often to have learned a great deal in her travels outside the tower that is unknown to most Aes Sedai and she could have learned more while trapped with the 'finns.

Yea but at her current power level, it would make much much much more sense to pass the knowledge on and use a super powered being.

Assuming it is the kind of knowledge that can be passed on quickly. If it is something complex, she might not have time or an apt student. Besides, the combination of Rand, Nynaeve, and Callandor means that she doesn't necessarily need to add to the total amount of Power available to be useful. That's a whole bunch of saidin and saidar right there already, especially assuming that Callandor amplifies both. (I can't remember if we got that confirmed in the fight at Shadar Logoth or not, but I think we did.)

Anyway, I doubt that it is the amount of Power that will prove decisive in the battle with the Dark One.

Actually good point. I think Callendor just amplifies Saidin, but if it's a circle of 3, a woman has to lead? Cads comments suggest a woman should lead, meaning a man can? But how would she know?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably for the same reason she took off all her Angrael and Ter'angrael while they were cleaning Saidin. Because she woudnt be able to use them if linked with Rand using Callandor. So much more useful to give her very powerful angrael to someone who could use it to fight

But if that's the case, why is Moraine even there, in terms of power, she's a joke now. Wouldnt they need every bit of power they can summon? But we've seen that you can drawn thru multple Angreal's/San'Angreals at the same time. (TSR, Rand does it). So if that's why they're using Moraine, because she can still use her super Angreal, then why would Ny give her's up?

I forsee a super lame reason coming about. (Just my opinion).I mean who wouldn't need a Terangreal that protects you from channeling? Why would you give that up?

Honestly, I think Rand provides access to Callandor, Nynaeve the link and Moirane offers the knowledge to control. She's proven very, very often to have learned a great deal in her travels outside the tower that is unknown to most Aes Sedai and she could have learned more while trapped with the 'finns.

Yea but at her current power level, it would make much much much more sense to pass the knowledge on and use a super powered being.

Assuming it is the kind of knowledge that can be passed on quickly. If it is something complex, she might not have time or an apt student. Besides, the combination of Rand, Nynaeve, and Callandor means that she doesn't necessarily need to add to the total amount of Power available to be useful. That's a whole bunch of saidin and saidar right there already, especially assuming that Callandor amplifies both. (I can't remember if we got that confirmed in the fight at Shadar Logoth or not, but I think we did.)

Anyway, I doubt that it is the amount of Power that will prove decisive in the battle with the Dark One.

Actually good point. I think Callendor just amplifies Saidin, but if it's a circle of 3, a woman has to lead? Cads comments suggest a woman should lead, meaning a man can? But how would she know?

A circle of two women and one man must be lead by one of the women. Elza Penfell was leading the Callandor circle at the Cleansing, and I can only remember her thoughts with regard to the way that saidin was well suited to destruction, when she used it to kill Dashiva/Osan'gar/Aginor. She didn't (that I recall) comment to herself that she only had a relatively small amount of saidar available ... but that isn't exactly proof that Callandor amplifies saidar.

If I had to guess, I would guess that it does - in fact, I would guess that all angreal amplify both sides when being used in a mixed circle. But then again, maybe not. I'm just not sure we've had it confirmed anywhere.

A circle of two women and one man must be lead by one of the women. Elza Penfell was leading the Callandor circle at the Cleansing, and I can only remember her thoughts with regard to the way that saidin was well suited to destruction, when she used it to kill Dashiva/Osan'gar/Aginor. She didn't (that I recall) comment to herself that she only had a relatively small amount of saidar available ... but that isn't exactly proof that Callandor amplifies saidar.

If I had to guess, I would guess that it does - in fact, I would guess that all angreal amplify both sides when being used in a mixed circle. But then again, maybe not. I'm just not sure we've had it confirmed anywhere.

I was actually reading thru, and there are conflicting reports on who has to lead when. She may have been leading because she has more experience than any Ash'aman. I wonder if there's a quote about angreal in circles. I mean you'd think it would have come up before now. Someone had to ask.

I was actually reading thru, and there are conflicting reports on who has to lead when. She may have been leading because she has more experience than any Ash'aman. I wonder if there's a quote about angreal in circles. I mean you'd think it would have come up before now. Someone had to ask.

You're right that we've gotten conflicting information at times on who can/has to lead some of the smaller circles, but I'm pretty sure that a woman has to lead with Callandor, because of its safety flaw, even if a man could potentially lead a two-women-one-man circle otherwise. I wouldn't fall on my sword over it, though ...

Anyway, I guess that the point is with circles, it has been emphasized several times that skill, knowledge, and balance are all at least as important as, and possible more important than, raw power. So Moiraine's lack of inherent strength (at present ... could she be Healed by a man?) is not as serious an issue as it might otherwise be.

Also, she could always use the bracelet angreal, if needed. We've seen people draw through more than one angreal at a time before (Rand vs. Asmodean).

You're right that we've gotten conflicting information at times on who can/has to lead some of the smaller circles, but I'm pretty sure that a woman has to lead with Callandor, because of its safety flaw, even if a man could potentially lead a two-women-one-man circle otherwise. I wouldn't fall on my sword over it, though ...

Anyway, I guess that the point is with circles, it has been emphasized several times that skill, knowledge, and balance are all at least as important as, and possible more important than, raw power. So Moiraine's lack of inherent strength (at present ... could she be Healed by a man?) is not as serious an issue as it might otherwise be.

Also, she could always use the bracelet angreal, if needed. We've seen people draw through more than one angreal at a time before (Rand vs. Asmodean).

Another wise poster made the point that the safety flaw is over now that Rand cleansed Saiden. It doesn't matter anymore.

Well apparently Angreal/San strength is additive not multiplitive. So, it doesn't multiply strength, it adds to it from a resivoir. So, Angrean A adds 200 to a power level as opposed to multiplying a power level by 20. So, it would still be extra strength if someone else uses it.

Interesting debate btw.

Another wise poster made the point that the safety flaw is over now that Rand cleansed Saiden. It doesn't matter anymore.

Well apparently Angreal/San strength is additive not multiplitive. So, it doesn't multiply strength, it adds to it from a resivoir. So, Angrean A adds 200 to a power level as opposed to multiplying a power level by 20. So, it would still be extra strength if someone else uses it.

Interesting debate btw.

I thought that cleansing the taint only removed one of the flaws in Callandor - the magnification of the taint. It is still flawed in the sense that it can allow the user to overdraw on the Power - it lacks the usual buffer. Of course, I'm not sure how putting women in charge of the circle fixes that, so ... -shrug-

At any rate, it is an interesting artifact, since the lack of a buffer 1) potentially makes a huge amount of Power available, as long as you're willing to die using it, and 2) its vulnerability to the taint gives it a connection to the Dark One which may be exploited in reverse later.

Actually, now that Rand has taken care of the LTT in his head problem, doesn't he know what he knew? If so, he's probably the most knowledgable saidan wielder around.

Actually, now that Rand has taken care of the LTT in his head problem, doesn't he know what he knew? If so, he's probably the most knowledgable saidan wielder around.

That doesn't preclude Moiraine having some sort of special knowledge that he does not. Min foresaw that he would "almost certainly fail" without Moiraine. For a long time I thought that she might be instrumental in returning him to sanity, but he seems to have found a way to do that on his own, at least for the time being. And Rand does not seem to know yet, with 100% certainty, what he's going to do after he breaks the Seals. After all, Lews Therin didn't know how to do it right the first time, so even though Rand has all his knowledge, he still just knows what didn't work.

Interesting debate btw.

I thought that cleansing the taint only removed one of the flaws in Callandor - the magnification of the taint. It is still flawed in the sense that it can allow the user to overdraw on the Power - it lacks the usual buffer. Of course, I'm not sure how putting women in charge of the circle fixes that, so ... -shrug-

At any rate, it is an interesting artifact, since the lack of a buffer 1) potentially makes a huge amount of Power available, as long as you're willing to die using it, and 2) its vulnerability to the taint gives it a connection to the Dark One which may be exploited in reverse later.

Nope, the circle itself stops someone from drawing too much of the power, so it's fine.

Nope, the circle itself stops someone from drawing too much of the power, so it's fine.

Does the circle remove the ability to overdraw? I thought the circle just prevented the male user from accidentally overdrawing ...

It's the same thing. Being in a circle creates a buffer that removes the ability to overdraw meaning you can't do it on purpose or by accident.

Does the circle remove the ability to overdraw? I thought the circle just prevented the male user from accidentally overdrawing ...

It's the same thing. Being in a circle creates a buffer that removes the ability to overdraw meaning you can't do it on purpose or by accident.

I didn't know that. I thought that the users of Callandor would be able to overdraw, if they wanted to, but that it wouldn't happen by accident. I know that circles create a buffer as a rule, but Callandor seems to be an exception to many rules - has anyone asked specifically if overdrawing through Callandor is still an option? Since Rand is willing - fated even - to die, I can think of scenarios where that could be useful.

I didn't know that. I thought that the users of Callandor would be able to overdraw, if they wanted to, but that it wouldn't happen by accident. I know that circles create a buffer as a rule, but Callandor seems to be an exception to many rules - has anyone asked specifically if overdrawing through Callandor is still an option? Since Rand is willing - fated even - to die, I can think of scenarios where that could be useful.

Nope, the reason Cads said you have to use Callendor in a circle is because it creaters a buffer, and you need to let a woman lead because it'll block the taint.

Nope, the reason Cads said you have to use Callendor in a circle is because it creaters a buffer, and you need to let a woman lead because it'll block the taint.

Right, I got that, but there may be a difference between creating a buffer and eliminating the ability to intentionally use the flaw. To reason by analogy:

The latch on my car door prevents it from opening accidentally, thus protecting me from the danger of falling onto the road at 55 (yes, officer, just 55!) mph. However, I may choose at any time to open the door, thus exposing myself to the danger.

Could Callandor be like a door with no latch? Being in a circle provides the latch to keep it safe, but could there still be an option to open the latch, so to speak, it you want to?

Ah well. I guess someone could ask this question if they like at an upcoming event - I think it would make Callandor a much more interesting object if it left that option open. But the world doesn't exist to make things interesting for me, alas ... :aessedai:

That doesn't preclude Moiraine having some sort of special knowledge that he does not. Min foresaw that he would "almost certainly fail" without Moiraine. For a long time I thought that she might be instrumental in returning him to sanity, but he seems to have found a way to do that on his own, at least for the time being. And Rand does not seem to know yet, with 100% certainty, what he's going to do after he breaks the Seals. After all, Lews Therin didn't know how to do it right the first time, so even though Rand has all his knowledge, he still just knows what didn't work.

You may be right, we don't know what she asked the snakes and who knows if she learned something while in capitivity.

Moiraine could have relevant Talents that are hard to find elsewhere, or her angreal could have special features that let it exploit Rand's vulnerability from Callandor. She's really good at wards. Or it could be that Moiraine alone appreciates the need to kill Rand as part of the Sealing; the Pattern makes sure she's there because no one else would do it, or at least Nynaeve wouldn't be willing to do it.

I think Nynaeve ditching her jewelry is as simple as what happened in WH. She'll get a sa'angreal from somewhere, and decide that with the sa'angreal there's no point having her jewelry when someone else could make better use of it. Moiraine is good at learning things from the Rings that say only 3 people should go someplace, with only very specific preparations!

My thought is akin to what we saw from Egwene in 'Font of Power'... someone with a vey limited ability to channel but both vast and specific knowledge drawing upon the power of others.

The obvious answer is right in the text. Cads tells her it won't be of use to her while she's linked. But my stupid version is that she was raised in the hood and we all know in the hood where i'm from ladies always take off they jewelry before a fight cuz they bout to mess a ho up but they not bout to mess up they nice things! And you best not touch her weave or its ALL OVER FOR YOU!!!

I know have this image of Nynaeve thumping her chest and yelling 'COME AT ME BRO!'

That's Jersey not the Hood.

However LOL At Wolfdragonfox. HA. I Accept that answer as plausible.

ACTUALLY MY FRIEND.....that saying was originated animated FX show ARCHER which is HILARIOUS and the character Pam said it before any of the douches on Jersey Shore stole it and pawned it off as original. And even though she's a fat white secretary lady, Pam is CLEARLY from the hood LOL.

Archived