DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why does Nynaeve ditch her bling?

Zorlon

So I read in the "Does Anyone Know" thread that it's Ninny and Moira going down into the Pit with Rand, and Ninny's taken off the bulk of jewels.

Any guesses why she's taking off the rings before going to the rumble?

My best guess is she's in mourning over Lan and don't wanna be glammed up.

My safety guess is after getting Care Bear Stared she just ain't so vain anymore.

Ya'll got any ideas?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the top of my head, I wonder if wielding too much of the one power can cause your jewelry to heat or melt... probably can't. But, if she's to be one of the two women to help Rand safely wield Callandor, maybe that's the reason.

Other than that, maybe she didn't want to take Lan's signet ring into Shayol Ghul, in case it's lost or she dies there....

Probably for the same reason she took off all her Angrael and Ter'angrael while they were cleaning Saidin. Because she woudnt be able to use them if linked with Rand using Callandor. So much more useful to give her very powerful angrael to someone who could use it to fight

I would guess she either gives it to somebody whos off to fight forsaken/dreadlords, or she is worried one of her ter'angreal may interfere with callandor and/or the sealing. Or both :p

I'd agree with the latter. She took off the jewellery that was ter'angreals during the Cleansing:

"Cadsuane says I must have the ter'angreal'Nynaeve.. Now don't argue; there isn't time. Besides, they are no good to you if you're going to be linked to him."

So Nyn gives her the belt, necklace, and also the bracelet-rings assembly. She comments:

"You might as well take this, too. I don't suppose I need an angreal if I'm going to be using the most powerful sa'angreal ever made. I want them all back, understand."

And as I typed that in, I suddenly realised. It was Alivia doing the asking - Alivia who emerged apparently easily from four hundred years of being a damane, and therefore whose motives are to me extremely suspect, and who will 'help Rand die'. Was she telling the truth? Will she be the one, again, to take over Nyn's armoury? What will she do with them?

Probably for the same reason she took off all her Angrael and Ter'angrael while they were cleaning Saidin. Because she woudnt be able to use them if linked with Rand using Callandor. So much more useful to give her very powerful angrael to someone who could use it to fight

But if that's the case, why is Moraine even there, in terms of power, she's a joke now. Wouldnt they need every bit of power they can summon? But we've seen that you can drawn thru multple Angreal's/San'Angreals at the same time. (TSR, Rand does it). So if that's why they're using Moraine, because she can still use her super Angreal, then why would Ny give her's up?

I forsee a super lame reason coming about. (Just my opinion).I mean who wouldn't need a Terangreal that protects you from channeling? Why would you give that up?

But if that's the case, why is Moraine even there, in terms of power, she's a joke now. Wouldnt they need every bit of power they can summon? But we've seen that you can drawn thru multple Angreal's/San'Angreals at the same time. (TSR, Rand does it). So if that's why they're using Moraine, because she can still use her super Angreal, then why would Ny give her's up?

I forsee a super lame reason coming about. (Just my opinion).I mean who wouldn't need a Terangreal that protects you from channeling? Why would you give that up?

Hmmm... good point. Is it possible that they (meaning Nyn) somehow healed Moiraine's power/connection to saidar or have they established that there's no going back for her?

not really sure why though but maybe she made them "invisible" with a variation of the light weave

but doesnt make much sense to do so

most likely she gave it to elayne or egwene to protect them while she was in the Pit.

I'd say two reasons Moiraine is there, possibly three.

1) Rand trusts her. Not many other Aes Sedai can be in that category. Besides Nynaeve, none, really.

2) With her Finn angreal, she is stronger than before.

3) She may know something critical. Either from the Rings (in which case, she may not be able to voice it until she sees it), the Finns, or a Min viewing.

I'd say two reasons Moiraine is there, possibly three.

1) Rand trusts her. Not many other Aes Sedai can be in that category. Besides Nynaeve, none, really.

2) With her Finn angreal, she is stronger than before.

3) She may know something critical. Either from the Rings (in which case, she may not be able to voice it until she sees it), the Finns, or a Min viewing.

Also, Moraine has used focus points repeatedly in the past. The seven seals are focus points. She's probably pretty knowledgeable in that area.

Either way, we know she must be important for the last battle as Min had a viewing that Rand would need Moraine in aCoS and Mat gave up half the light of the world to save the world, meaning she has to help save the world somehow.

I'm at work and locked out of the Interview Database--is there a comment from Michael Whelan stating that Nynaeve not having her jewellry definately wasn't an oversight on his part?

Apparently it wasn't:

http://www.theorylan...ain.php?i=766#4

MRJACKSON@218 (7 MAY 2012)

< snip >

I spoke to Michael about the cover as he was finishing it. Since he didn't have the opportunity to read all fourteen books for the assignment, I was one of the people he leaned on to fact check his work.

Michael mentioned there are details the readers (like me) wouldn't be privy to yet. For example, Nynaeve takes the bulk of her jewelry off before this scene.

I note, however, as Zorlon mentions, that she took off the bulk of her jewellery.. so she may still have that bracelet!

My thinking, when first reading this thread, was that her ter'angreal collection could make too much of an imbalance. My thinking being that I'm pretty sure that to wield Callandor effectively, and to counteract that imperfection, Rand would need to be linked with two woman channelers... And I'm not sure how accurate this is but... I'm sure the male a'dam will be involved.

With Moiraine being weakened I'm not sure if Nynaeve being like the channeling equivalent of a musclebound oaf jacked up on steroids would have an adverse affect.

The male a'dam wouldn't be needed, surely. It is used to compel a man; but Rand won't need to be compelled. He trusts both Moiraine and Nynaeve enough to allow them to lead the circle.

I agree but just to be a pain in the ass. It actually said in Book 4, I think, that a man linked to two women through the a'dam, if more powerful than the women, could end up dominating them.

Sexy. ;)

Honestly, how would it make an imbalance? They made the sets to work together, so with it in mind that an Angreal would be used. The only reason I can see her passing it off would be if someone else needed protection, but really at that point no one needs more protection than her!

The male a'dam wouldn't be needed, surely. It is used to compel a man; but Rand won't need to be compelled. He trusts both Moiraine and Nynaeve enough to allow them to lead the circle.

I agree but just to be a pain in the ass. It actually said in Book 4, I think, that a man linked to two women through the a'dam, if more powerful than the women, could end up dominating them.

Sexy. ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::tongue::wink:

Honestly, I think Rand provides access to Callandor, Nynaeve the link and Moirane offers the knowledge to control. She's proven very, very often to have learned a great deal in her travels outside the tower that is unknown to most Aes Sedai and she could have learned more while trapped with the 'finns.

Honestly, I think Rand provides access to Callandor, Nynaeve the link and Moirane offers the knowledge to control. She's proven very, very often to have learned a great deal in her travels outside the tower that is unknown to most Aes Sedai and she could have learned more while trapped with the 'finns.

Yea but at her current power level, it would make much much much more sense to pass the knowledge on and use a super powered being.

Yea but at her current power level, it would make much much much more sense to pass the knowledge on and use a super powered being.

Assuming it is the kind of knowledge that can be passed on quickly. If it is something complex, she might not have time or an apt student. Besides, the combination of Rand, Nynaeve, and Callandor means that she doesn't necessarily need to add to the total amount of Power available to be useful. That's a whole bunch of saidin and saidar right there already, especially assuming that Callandor amplifies both. (I can't remember if we got that confirmed in the fight at Shadar Logoth or not, but I think we did.)

Anyway, I doubt that it is the amount of Power that will prove decisive in the battle with the Dark One.

Archived