DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

LOC Prophecy Chapter 14

Stormofheaven

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade."

This was said by Nicola. I gather this to mean Aviendha, Min, Elaye will all survive the last battle. Rand also survives. The land divided by the return. Seanchan and the dragon Peace split the land. Most likely on existing lines and that the "guardians" or "seanchan" balance the servants, ie Tar Valon.

However, the last part is what I find interesting. Do we take that figuratively? Or literally?

Well, I don't know about surviving the Last Battle, but Rand and the three girls on a "boat".

The rest you think pretty much like the majority, except the "guardians" are Asha'man. (Literally means guardians or similar in the Old Tongue) So Asha'man balancing Aes Sedai.

The last part could refer to something Terez has suggested, that the Great Battle is not actually Rand sealing the DO's prison, but rather a massive battle at Caemlyn or Tar Valon. And that resurrecting Rand is needed and the future rests on a cruicial moment.

The actual wording could mean a few things.

- Poetic licence, it simply means that the future is uncertain and one act could give the advantage one way or another.

- It could be taken litearally, where an actual blade is involved. Justice is the most likely to play that part with uniting the world to repel the Dark One.

- It could be referencing the dagger Aviendha had that can hide someone from Shadowspawn, possibly the DO himself.

- Referencing Callandor and its role in the Last Battle.

- Reference to the Ruby Hilted Dagger and Fain's role in the whole thing.

- Could be taken super literally and someone has a sword to someone's throat (I doubt it).

Probably a whole lot of other possibilities, but they seem the most probable, if I am not forgetting anything major.

I'm not 100% convinced that the three people Nicola referenced have to be Rand's trio, even though that does indeed seem the most appropriate interpretation. But there are problems:

1) At the time this prophecy was made, Avi was no longer a 'dedicated spear'. She was in training to be a Wise One.

2) Elayne has never held a sword in battle. This could be someone else defending the Lion of Andor - perhaps Birgitte, Elayne's warder.

3) Min isn't the only one who 'sees beyond'. Egwene does too, in her Dreaming. Furthermore, Egwene has Skimmed on a barge (ACoS12).

So I'm keeping an open mind about this.

I'm not 100% convinced that the three people Nicola referenced have to be Rand's trio, even though that does indeed seem the most appropriate interpretation. But there are problems:

1) At the time this prophecy was made, Avi was no longer a 'dedicated spear'. She was in training to be a Wise One.

2) Elayne has never held a sword in battle. This could be someone else defending the Lion of Andor - perhaps Birgitte, Elayne's warder.

3) Min isn't the only one who 'sees beyond'. Egwene does too, in her Dreaming. Furthermore, Egwene has Skimmed on a barge (ACoS12).

I think it is Elayne, Avi and Min. But I think being open to diff interpretations is good, since it is prophesy.

The Lion Sword could easily be Gawyn, the dedicated spear could be Rhuarc, and she who see's beyond could be Avienda (since she has seen the Aiel's possible future). The return could be the Seanchean (i think it is), but could also be The Day of Return, i.e., the world is divided at the FoM over the breaking of the seals.

The Lion Sword is the only one I can give you. Avi is dedicated totally to Rand, and as a true Aiel, she's a spear. Min does see beyond, beyond what normal mortals see to the actual pattern.

I don't get the first one, The Lion part I get, but how is she a sword? Is she a warrior queen?

The Aiel dreamwalkers dream of three women on a boat with Rand, which Aviendha relayed to Rand in Caemlyn supports (and might be viewed as evidence) that the three on the boat will be women.

No Gawyn Trakand on a boat with Rand!

Archived