DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who's who list of the Forsaken

Ian Abbott

Hi

My 1st post here, just found this place after completing my 3rd re-read :ohmy:

I was just wondering, since I looked through the 1st 15 or so pages of threads in this forum, is there a list of the original Forsaken, and who is dead/alive/ressurected and as who?

I could probably work it out for myself, but I'm saving the next full re-read until sometime next year when the final book comes out :biggrin:

Ishamael: fought Rand in tEotW and tGH, died in tDR, ressurected as Moridin

Aginor: killed in tEotW, ressurected in LoC as Osan'gar, masqueraded as an Asha'man, followed Rand around and tried to kill him in PoD, killed again in WH

Demandred: Alive

Sammael: fought Rand in aCoS, killed by mashadar, will not be brought back

Rahvin: balefired by Rand in tFoH

Be'lal: balefired by Moiraine in tDR

Balthamel: killed in tEotW, ressurected in LoC as Aran'gar, became Egwene's maid, forced to flee in KoD, balefired in tGS by Rand (with a little help from Graendal)

Asmodean: fought Rand in tSR, kept captive as a teacher, killed by Rahvin, then brought back thanks to balefire, finally killed by Graendal in tFoH

Lanfear: tackled by Moiraine through the twisted red doorway in tFoH, died (possibly at the hands of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn), brought back slightly weaker as Cyndane and mindtrapped by Moridin

Graendal: barely escapes being balefired by Rand in tGS, fails to kill Perrin in ToM, punished by Shaidar Haran, presumably still alive

Semirhage: captured by Rand in KoD, freed by Elza in tGS, tortures Rand and Min, balefired by Rand using the True Power

Mesaana: fought Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod in ToM, had her mind broken, technically still alive

Moghedien: fought and lost to Nyneave in tSR, escaped, captured by Nyneave in tFoH, freed by Aran'gar in LoC, mindtrapped by Moridin

So to resume:

Alive: Moridin (Ishamael), Demandred, Cyndane (Lanfear), Moghedien, Graendal, Mesaana (mind broken)

Dead: Aginor, Sammael, Rahvin, Be'lal, Balthamel, Asmodean, Semirhage

Aginor: killed in tEotW, ressurected in LoC as Osan'gar, masqueraded as an Asha'man, followed Rand around and tried to kill him in PoD, killed again in WH

(...)

Dead: Aginor

Has this been confirmed? He was 'vaporized': neither balefired nor consumed by Aridhol.

(...)

Has this been confirmed? He was 'vaporized': neither balefired nor consumed by Aridhol.

You're right, he can still be brought back, although the DO probably won't bother considering his repeated failures. As a scientist he always was out of his comfort zone. In any case for now at least, he is, to our knowledge, safely in the deceased column.

As I posted elsewhere, my early compilation of Forsaken appearances and first time their names are mentioned. I have excluded Aran'gar, Osan'gar, and Cyndane as I haven't gotten that far in my re-read.

Listed in order of appearance: (there are some exceptions)

1. Ishamael (first appears in EotW Prologue; name first mentioned a few times in EotW.) (appears in EotW, TGH, TDR)

2. Aginor (first appears in EotW; name first mentioned earlier in EotW) (appears in EotW)

3. Balthamel (first appears in EotW; name first mentioned earlier in EotW) (appears in EotW)

4. Lanfear (first appears in TGH as Selene; name first mentioned in EotW) (appears in TGH, TDR, TSR, TFoH)

*Between these two we may technically have one of Mesaana, but I'll discuss her later*

5. Rahvin (first appears in TDR as Gaebril; name Rahvin later mentioned in TDR) (appears in TDR, TFoH)

6. Be'lal (first appears in TDR; name first mentioned earlier in TDR) (appears in TDR)

7. Asmodean (first appears in TSR as Jasin Natael; name first mentioned later in TSR) (appears in TSR, TFoH)

8. Moghedian (first appears in TSR; name first mentioned in TSR***I think) (appears in TSR, TFoH, LoC, ACoS, TPoD?, WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS (maybe?))

9. Sammael (first appears in TFoH; name first mentioned in TDR) (appears in TFoH, LoC, ACoS)

10. Graendal (first appears in TFoH; name first mentioned in TSR) (appears in TFoH, LoC, ACoS, TPoD (maybe?), WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS, ToM)

11. Demandred (first appears in LoC; name first mentioned in EotW) (appears in LoC, WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS)

12. Mesaana (first appears...tricky, in person in LoC, but we can assume she was Danelle in TSR and possibly Else in TDR; name first mentioned in LoC*) (appears in TSR (as Danelle), TFoH (as Danelle), LoC, ACoS, TPoD, CoT, KoD, TGS, ToM) *Mesaana is the first Forsaken we meet who was not mentioned by name earlier in one of the books; the first time we see her name is the first time we meet her, and we also read that part from her PoV. Interesting. She's also tricky, because she was impersonating Danelle as early as TSR and possibly TDR and may have been the Else who visited the Wonder Girls in TDR

13. Semirhage (first appears in LoC; first mentioned in TFoH) (appears in LoC, KoD, TGS...may be missing some; I'm not sure)

(...)

You're right, he can still be brought back, although the DO probably won't bother considering his repeated failures. As a scientist he always was out of his comfort zone. In any case for now at least, he is, to our knowledge, safely in the deceased column.

Asmodean cannot be brought back because of how and where he was killed. I've always understood that he cannot be brought back since he was killed in a place near Rand, denying the DO the short time frame he has available to reincarnate Asmo. Is the "where Asmo was killed" linked to Rand? The events at the end of TEoTW are evidence against this; or is it?

If being killed near Rand is relevant, Aginor might also be like Asmodean. He was killed near Rand. And thus, the DO might be denied the short time allowing reincarnation.

"Near Rand" isn't an issue - Aginor was first killed near Rand in EotW. Being in Shadar Logoth may be a problem - the ginormous influence of Mashadar might have induced the GLoD to stay away. or, he has to have a suitable body ready and available and doesn't.

The Asmo "where and how" business remains a little mystery. We have to assume Graendal did something weird like hit him through a Gate or pull him into TAR, thereby scrambling location. If she'd just BF-ed him, the "how" of the method would have been sufficient to prevent resurrection.

Archived