DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Murandy vs history

Durinax

I find it unlikely that Demandred is leading Murandians at the "Battle of Caemlyn," due to the simple fact that I can't see an entire army fight alongside Shadowspawn. The entire Murandian army can't be Darkfriends.

As for the future of Murandy, it won't become a regional power unless some drastic happens to the Seanchan, Andor (and its allies, The Two Rivers and Ghealdan) and Illian.

well I can't comment on the accents due to me not hearing the audiotapes (which would be held to RJ's intentions I would hope).

I haven't heard the audiobooks either. But i seem to recall people from Murandy always being described as having accents, especially those from Lugard, and other than the Seanchan, I don't recall the accents of other nations being pointed out so much.

Lugarders have an accent, but the general Murandian accent is probably very close to the Andoran accent, since the BWB points out that Murandians and Andorans are indistinguishable other than by their clothes near the border.

I think RJ may have used the reference to historical nations in order to give us a hint of what is happening in murandy, with a consolidated power they have enough force to become a player on the continent. How much of one is something I really want to see

They're still near the bottom of the political chain. And their circumstances don't seem to be in favor of them becoming a significant player on the level of Italy or Germany, the two examples in the original post.

Italy was at the bottom too when their consolidation happened then they burst upon the world stage, Germany not so much. And with TG upon the world, they are going to be pushed up significantly in importance once the FoM forces start fighting tollocs and losing men

It took Rome centuries to conquer their neighbours and becomming the dominant power on the italian peninsula and when they startet their consolidation of the mediterran they weren't exactly the smallest fish in the pond.

Murandy would have to expand at the cost of much bigger nations around them, not much of a rome analogy

well I can't comment on the accents due to me not hearing the audiotapes (which would be held to RJ's intentions I would hope).

I haven't heard the audiobooks either. But i seem to recall people from Murandy always being described as having accents, especially those from Lugard, and other than the Seanchan, I don't recall the accents of other nations being pointed out so much.

Murundy might very well have Irish accents. But Illian has an accent, as well as Cairhien and Tarabon. (Seanchan have Texan accents officially, IIRC. odd, I know.) The really strange thing is that the borderlands, far removed from Andor, don't seem to have a noticable accent to the TR people.

-------

On the actual topic, I don't buy that Murundy will be overly significant. I think it's so weakened by infighting that it will take some years for them to become a force to be reckoned with.

RJ actually came out with a cool list of accents for the countries.

• Two Rivers - Irish/English
  • Illianers - Dutch
  • Aiel - somewhat Slavic
  • Tairen - Spanish
  • Domani - Indian
  • Saldaean - Egyptian/North African
  • Seanchan - Texas

The Real Nations' Influence section of the WOTFAQ is a wicked interesting read for stuff like this. I'm surprised they don't have a listing for Murandy. I agree with the FAQ that Altara is much more fitting for Italy than Murandy: Also a loose confederation of lords, it is slowly being unified by Tylin until it's taken over by a repressive force that subjugates any "non-normal" people. Murandy could be more like Germany.

I maintain that my Scotland under James IV comparison works quite nicely. He was the only Scottish monarch to meaningfully unite the Scottish people in face of a percieved English (read Andoran) threat.

I think RJ may have used the reference to historical nations in order to give us a hint of what is happening in murandy, with a consolidated power they have enough force to become a player on the continent. How much of one is something I really want to see

They're still near the bottom of the political chain. And their circumstances don't seem to be in favor of them becoming a significant player on the level of Italy or Germany, the two examples in the original post.

Italy was at the bottom too when their consolidation happened then they burst upon the world stage, Germany not so much. And with TG upon the world, they are going to be pushed up significantly in importance once the FoM forces start fighting tollocs and losing men

It took Rome centuries to conquer their neighbours and becomming the dominant power on the italian peninsula and when they startet their consolidation of the mediterran they weren't exactly the smallest fish in the pond.

Murandy would have to expand at the cost of much bigger nations around them, not much of a rome analogy

remember that everyone but the seancheans armies are in FoM or at least the bulk of them, so it is feasable

Archived