DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest - Semi Final 1 (Tuesday 22nd May 2012)

Corki

The 10 qualifiers are:

1. Romania *

2. Moldova

3. Iceland *

4. Hungary

5. Denmark *

6. Albania *

7. Cyprus *

8. Greece *

9. Russia *

10. Ireland (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!)

So that is 7 correct guesses for the Grand Final on Saturday!

And Belgium.

I though both Belgium and Finland were far superior to Moldova, Ireland (maybe if Europe decides to vote Jedward the winners this year, they may go away...for good!) and Hungary.

In case someone has missed it, I really dislike when people sing in english instead of their own language.

Singing in English makes the song accessible to a broader audience. Before you were allowed to sing in a different language English singing countries (and Ireland in particular) had a huge chance of winning. It has become a little more fair since then.

I missed the first semi-final! :sad: Hopefully I can make it on Thursday. Will definitely be here on Saturday. This is the first time in many, many, many years that I not only like the Swedish song but actually LOVE IT! Will be fun to see how it will go for Loreen on Thursday.

I listened on the finalists on You Tube. I think I liked Cyprus the most. Only listened for one minute though. I liked Denmark too but I agree that we have heard the song before. Not a fan of Albania, Russia or Ireland. What has happened to Ireland? Just want to make sure they don´t have to pay for the party next year?

I think they have got to the stage where they no longer care! They did send Dustin the Turkey a few years back as a protest entry. I don't know if Jedward fall into that category. I just think the two brothers like the ESC so much! And just be glad you only get inflicted with them for a week a year - they are a lot more frequent in the UK and Ireland (though less so since they were in the karaoke contest The X Factor).

In case someone has missed it, I really dislike when people sing in english instead of their own language.

Singing in English makes the song accessible to a broader audience. Before you were allowed to sing in a different language English singing countries (and Ireland in particular) had a huge chance of winning. It has become a little more fair since then.

The rule restricting language to one of the official in the nation has exoisted on and off for about 31 years. In these 31 competitions, England or Ireland won 11 times, ie rougly 1/3. Considering that this was before the eastern expansion, I would say it is a pretty normal spread. In the same time, Sweden managed to win three times with songs in Swedish, a language around 15 million people understands.

In other words, the advantage of singing in english is quite exagerated.

How many times in that era did a song sung in German win (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, part of Poland)? Or French? (France, Switzerland, Belgium). It's an advantage.

Even the Dutch had a small advantage. Most of the time we got 12 points from Belgium, because they understood our songs.

How many times in that era did a song sung in German win (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, part of Poland)? Or French? (France, Switzerland, Belgium). It's an advantage.

Even the Dutch had a small advantage. Most of the time we got 12 points from Belgium, because they understood our songs.

Same era, 8 in French, 2 in German, 1 in Dutch, 2 in Spanish, 1 in Italian. And I was wrong about 3 in Swedish, it is only 2. I counted one of the two Norwegian winners as a Swedish.

But, looking at that, As many winners with Swedish lyrics as with German or Spanish. more with Swedish than with Italian. And if we count Scandinavian as one language (which it probably sounds like to non-Scandis), we get 4 wins, putting us at #3, even though only about 15 million people understand it.

Archived