DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Foreshadowing Examples

Not precisely. You said that 75% of the foreshadowing was done in the first volume. She said 75% of the story was foreshadowed in it. That leaves room for repeating foreshadowing in most every book, making the sheer amount of foreshadowing done in TEotW negligible (not that it is, but you get the idea).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, he made it seem as if the other books don't have very much foreshadowing at all, which just isn't true. The approach to foreshadowing remains the same throughout, but he did manage to cover most of the story's major events in the foreshadowing of TEOTW.

Yeah I agree with Terez on this one. EotW probably has more foreshadowing than any other book, or any two books, for that matter, but it doesn't encompase that much of the total foretelling in the series.

Nah that's not foreshadowing. I see foreshadowing as either something symbolic or said in jest that has no meaning at the time but then once something happens, it can be looked back on as a form of prediction of sorts. Like Rand saying he'd rather cut of his hand before channeling again or Elayne saying Egwene would be Amyrlin when she was Queen.

something like Egwene's Accepted's test where not only the 13x13 trick, but also The Purge is foreshadowed?

Yeah. The 1st crow we saw in the series forshadowed Perring, Eggy and Elyas getting surrounded by them later on in book one.

Abnd Narg forshadowed Shadar Haran. He was in fact, SH 0.5 Beta, the one we saw with the whitecloak guy was 1.0, and the current one is 2.0.

whatever happened to the crows and rats?

something like Egwene's Accepted's test where not only the 13x13 trick, but also The Purge is foreshadowed?

I don't see the purge being foreshadewed there, and the 13x13 thing was just a way of introducing it to the readers I think.

whatever happened to the crows and rats?

Do not know. I figure they have all been warded away by now. Not sure though.

I can't quote, because I don't own an English version of The Dragon Reborn (only Dutch), but in the Accepted's Test (3rd arch) she is the Amyrlin and muses about the Black Ajah that was destroyed in the Great Purge. After that she goes to the hall, learns of Rand to be gentled, gots knocked down only to be found with 13 BA and 13 Fades.

“I am who I am,” Rand said, pushing himself up out of the chair. “You just won’t see it.”

-Winter's Heart

Three points:

Philosophical = Moridin's Influence

This links in with what (I believe) it is foreshadowing; the Rand-Moridin incarnation.

One or all of the three people, Aviendha, Min and Elayne, to whom he speaks this, are significant in some way.

Except Rand. And Lews Therin.

Irritably, Rand pushed his sleeves down and dropped into a chair. What he had done made no matter to Logain. The man knew saidin was clean, but he could not believe Rand or any man had actually done the cleansing. Did he think the Creator had decided to stretch out a merciful hand after three thousand years of suffer­ing? The Creator had made the world and then left humankind to make of it what they would, a heaven or the Pit of Doom by their choosing. The Creator had made many worlds, watched each flower or die, and gone on to make endless worlds beyond. A gardener did not weep for each blossom that fell.

For an instant, he thought those must have been Lews Therin’s reflections. He had never gone on that way about the Creator or anything else that he recalled. But he could feel Lews Therin nod­ding in approval, a man listening to someone else. Still, it was not the kind of thing he would have considered before Lews Therin. How much space remained between them?

"...his victory is assured. I think it will be this Age, but if not, then in another. When you are victorious, it only leads to another battle. When he is victorious, all things will end. Can you not see that there is no hope for you?"

"Is that what made you turn to his side?" Rand asked. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?"

"There is no path to victory," Moridin said. "The only path is to follow the Great Lord and rule for a time before all things end. The others are fools. They look for grand rewards in the eternities, but there will be no eternities. Only the now, the last days."

That's actually a really good foreshadowing. In the beginning, we though that just ment rand, mat perrin, egwene, and nynaeve, but it also means everyone else who made up a pretty good army that could take down more "experienced" ones

Archived