DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sanderson Moments

Frost Wynters

George R. R. Martin, who took over five years to write his latest book, which was supposedly already written when the previous book was released. Some think that the criticism for the previous book got to him and made it difficult for him to continue writing. Only the most hardcore fans liked it.

I actually really enjoyed it. ADWD was very well written over all. I understand some people didn't see the forward movement that they wanted but despite that I never got why such a large segment were critcal of it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George R. R. Martin, who took over five years to write his latest book, which was supposedly already written when the previous book was released. Some think that the criticism for the previous book got to him and made it difficult for him to continue writing. Only the most hardcore fans liked it.

I actually really enjoyed it. ADWD was very well written over all.

At that point I was talking about AFFC.

I actually really enjoyed it. ADWD was very well written over all.

At that point I was talking about AFFC.

Ahh my bad...Feast indeed is a step below the others. I have seen a fair amount of criticism from certain corners about Dance as well however.

The eastern plotline got longwinded? Daenerys did practically nothing at all. And while the Dornish may yet get their way, it wasn't by their doing. Not to mention GRRM's stinginess with Arya PoVs (they're the best; it is known). The only one that deigned to move his behinds in some direction was Snow, and he didn't go very far.

No, that's not fair

Bran finally made it somewhere as well. Good for him. Only took 3 books, didn't it?

Also, wasn't the whole Targaryen in disguise played enough in the Mystery Knight?

All in all, I liked reading it, but finishing the book left me with a severe lack of satisfaction.

The characters in the latest book also had distinctly different personailties than previous ones IMO. It is like he put it down for 4 years then decided to write it again without rereading anything he had written before. It read more like really boring fanfiction to me.

The eastern plotline got longwinded? Daenerys did practically nothing at all. And while the Dornish may yet get their way, it wasn't by their doing. Not to mention GRRM's stinginess with Arya PoVs (they're the best; it is known). The only one that deigned to move his behinds in some direction was Snow, and he didn't go very far.

Ehhh, I hated it when I first read it. It has some good scenes etc.. but it was just...nothing... The suspense was good there at the end, but after taking so long to write, it didn't deliver.

John "dying" was so obvious I didn't even care.

Bran was the best. The only PoV I actually thoroughly enjoyed.

Daenerys just annoyed me and did nothing for the whole book. THE DRAGONS WERE LOCKED UP OR MISSING!!! WHY?!

The whole Quentyn plot was basically a waste of time, they might as well have just put it in the glossary, or done the whole thing from Daenerys' PoV, it would have made it easier to bear, at least.

Tyrion was the most frustrating, he did nothing, while his was the most potentially exciting plot in the whole book. I do not care where whores are sent. Just get to the dragons and be awesome.

Aegon is so obviously a fake I couldn't stand it. If he IS the real thing, it would be very disappointing, came out of nothing. Sure, a few people have thought about it, but there is no way that there is anything that could suggest he was not killed other than fan theories.

The whole plot with Cersei in AFFC was basically wasted, she just got shaved and went back to being Queen.

Jamie and Swordswench amounted to nothing. The cliffhanger of AFFC was wasted.

Victarion was interesting enough, but I wanted to shout at them to move faster. Stupid slow Ironborn boats.

Funnily enough Theon was one of the most enjoyable plots in the book.

Stannis and that at the end was just annoying, and by now became so predictable with the bad guys winning and all.

In all, disappointing book, but Winter Winds should be epic with all that didn't happen in ADWD.

I was one of the ones who enjoyed Feast and Dance. The world-building was great; I eat that type of material up. I also went into both knowing it was going to be primarily a character development and plot set-up novel due to Martin forgoing the five year time-skip he had planned. These two books didn't have the greatness of A Storm of Swords, but it will be great to see the payoff from all of this. I (playfully) imagine the people who complain about the slowness of Dance as having ADHD.

The characters in the latest book also had distinctly different personailties than previous ones IMO.

How so? I didn't get that at all...

It read more like really boring fanfiction to me.

Say what you will about the story lines not advancing but the book was very well written. If this was fan fic the guy has hell of a career in front of him. As Agitel says the character development and plot set up will have a massaive pay off.

They were definitely good for building, but you have to admit for some characters, nothing significant has happened for a very long time (Bran and Daenerys are prime examples). Also, I feel like I read a lot of POVs from people I really couldn't give two craps about. I hope they're the WH/CoT of the series...

They were definitely good for building, but you have to admit for some characters, nothing significant has happened for a very long time (Bran and Daenerys are prime examples). Also, I feel like I read a lot of POVs from people I really couldn't give two craps about. I hope they're the WH/CoT of the series...

Bran I can kind of agree with, though his chapters were still interesting, if unfulfilled. I'm not sure how you can claim Dany hasn't done anything in a long time given what she did just before the events of Dance (events covered in ASoS). The events of Dance will have caused her to develop tremendously as a character, to forge her into the person she needs to be to do what she must. (I'm being vague to avoid having to deal with spoiler tags)

That is a very good point. However, knowing Nyneave, she would have woven it. After all, when Perrin moved the balefire, Egwene was surprised and she was supposed to be the most adaptable of the wetlanders.

I thought of that as her being surprised that Perrin of all people could do it, althoughI may be wrong.

Im beginning to think I need to reread ToM already because I missed a lot of this stuff about the Ter'angreal.

That is a very good point. However, knowing Nyneave, she would have woven it. After all, when Perrin moved the balefire, Egwene was surprised and she was supposed to be the most adaptable of the wetlanders.

I thought of that as her being surprised that Perrin of all people could do it, althoughI may be wrong.

Im beginning to think I need to reread ToM already because I missed a lot of this stuff about the Ter'angreal.

No egwene said something like what di dyou just do, how did you just dodge that. And then perrin said it's just a weave to which egwene responded, it's not just a weave, it's balefire.

Archived