DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

rj tells who will live

That doesn't sound like an outrigger novel to me, just sounds like the end of the book he skips ahead 5 or 10 years and tells us what happens between Mat and Tuon. There's no mention of an outrigger novel. I think it's in AMoL. Personally I'm kinda pissed he told us.

For the same reason he mentions sky diving. He's facing death right now, harsh as that is, and its making him think on what he wants to live for.

The progression of the sentence indicate a seperate nature between the goal of finishing aMoL and the goal of writing the story of Tuon and Mat 10 years after TG.

Oh man, what a thing to debate about. Anyway, I'm officially joining the "Matt and Tuon" is an outtrigger novel camp. He says that he wants to FINISH "A Memory of Light" and get STARTED on "Matt and Tuon." Thus he implies that he will finish one thing and then begin another.

As to RJ giving away that certain characters survive TG it really doesn't bother me. The more I think about it the more I believe that there will not be a huge body count among the main characters. I think most if not all of the main characters will survive.

Mat and Tuon, eh? Sounds promising, but with death at his heals, RJ would be rushing to finish his stories, and that can't be good, artistically. How ironic, seeing as how the story has dragged on for so long...I wish him luck, though; and would rather that he pull it of - IF he does intend to release this novel.

Mat and Tuon' date=' eh? Sounds promising, but with death at his heals, RJ would be rushing to finish his stories, and that can't be good, artistically. How ironic, seeing as how the story has dragged on for so long...I wish him luck, though; and would rather that he pull it of - IF he does intend to release this novel.[/quote']

I see no evidence that RJ's artistic ability is in any way hindered by having to rush. RJ has done some of his best work in a short intervals. "The Eye Of the World" and "The Great Hunt" were released only about 8 months apart. Then up until "Lord of Chaos" each book was released only one year following the previous volume. The point is RJ can do very good work in a short amount of time.

If George R.R. Martin wrote "Finishing A Dance with Dragons and writing some Dany chapters" you'd think it was a whole new book?

RJ did not write that though. Correctly, if GRRM said "finishing a Dream of Spring, of course, and getting started on Dany and Tyrion, and some others, five to ten years after the War for the Dawn" then yes, i would assume he was referencing a different book.

You deliberately twisted the way it was said. Specifically, he never specified that it was chapters he was writing, which would have indicated it being a part of a pre-existing text. Secondly it is the last book of the series, not the 5th, and we know RJ is writing Outrigger novels, and he knows that we know. Thirdly you removed the 'of course' which seperates the two sentences.

He never mentions outrigger novels in the post. According to his original statements about the novels he hasn't even come up with plots for them, they're just ideas he's kicking around in his head. If he has come up with fleshed out plots by now he would state that he now has decided he WILL do the novels and that he has plots for them finally. The outrigger novels are suppose to run parellel to the main story but deal with characters outside of the main action, Mat and Tuon 5 years after the Last Battle is neither during the main action or outside of the main characters. And he's said that he's only working on AMoL right now so that he can get it done at a reasonable time, he's not going to waste time writing other projects, ESPECIALLY when he says that Infinity of Heaven will be his next project, not the outrigger novels.

And all I did was remove the "of course" which is removable anyway, and only furthers that he is finishing AMoL.

RJ mentions in his blog that he has about 20 years of stories left to write. One more for the main storyline and then several "outrigger" novels. It would be safe to assume that any novel written about the characters after AMoL is an outrigger.

Also, thegreatbattledone jumped on Draven for making comments about RJ finishing the book before RJ eventually passes from natural or unnatural causes. I think Draven was being honest and sincere about his feelings. Like most human beings, I feel sympathy towards any person suffering from any life threatening condition. It is sad to hear about. It is sad to know. However, to imply that you don't want this final book published before he passes away would be lying.

I don't know how many people followed the Dark Tower books by Stephen King, but much the same thing happened to our community once he was in the horrible accident. Yes we were upset. The man was a great writer and very open with his readers. We all feel close to him and we respected him as a person and as a writer. However, the reaction from many of us, though we may not have had expressed it openly, wass "will he live to finish the series?" The funny thing about that was he felt the EXACT same way. He even expressed it in writing as an afterthought in the Wolves of Calla. The Dark Tower has been a work in progress since the 70's.

Let's just be honest with one another, we want to know how it ends. I don't want the man to kill himself writing a book. However, I would purchase an outline of the book if it wrapped the series up in a semi meaningful way. I am sure RJ feels the same way about his works that we do. If he didn't understand his audience, he would have never tried to settle fears about his ability or inability to finish the books before he passes. He understands. Honesty is not insensitivity. Our honesty may be selfish, and it may be incorrect, but it is how we, as a collective, feel.

We have loved his books, purchased his books, made them bestsellers, and he has made a fine living off of the writing and sale of those books. In many respects, we have a right to be selfish within reason. So I will say how I feel. I wish this problem never occured. I wish good health to every person in this world (maybe not ALL:)). However, I really hope he finishes his last book before God takes him.

He never mentions outrigger novels in the post. According to his original statements about the novels he hasn't even come up with plots for them, they're just ideas he's kicking around in his head. If he has come up with fleshed out plots by now he would state that he now has decided he WILL do the novels and that he has plots for them finally. The outrigger novels are suppose to run parellel to the main story but deal with characters outside of the main action, Mat and Tuon 5 years after the Last Battle is neither during the main action or outside of the main characters. And he's said that he's only working on AMoL right now so that he can get it done at a reasonable time, he's not going to waste time writing other projects, ESPECIALLY when he says that Infinity of Heaven will be his next project, not the outrigger novels.

And all I did was remove the "of course" which is removable anyway, and only furthers that he is finishing AMoL.

So what you are saying is that he will finish A Memory of Light and then finish the chapters with Mat and Tuon that are supposed to be in it?

I'm thrilled Mat and Tuon servive the TG. I figured Mat would, it takes more then a few trollocs to kill Mat Cauthorn, but I thought Tuon wouldn't, re: "Beware the man of the Red Hand, for him you'll marry and no other." I got the feeling the Empress has more then one husband during her Reign.

Of course, things aren't looking good for the servival of the Seanchan Empire at the moment.

He never mentions outrigger novels in the post.

I said we know of their existence, not that he mentioned them.

The outrigger novels are suppose to run parellel to the main story but deal with characters outside of the main action

No, those are the novellas. The outrigger novels he has given no information about time, situation, character or plot.

And he's said that he's only working on AMoL right now so that he can get it done at a reasonable time, he's not going to waste time writing other projects

He is working on only aMoL right now, hence him stating that the Mat and Tuon on stuff would be written after he finished it.

You added the word chapters, you changed the setting from a last book to a middle book, you changed the authors from one who is concidering writing outrigger novels to one who isn't. As for the words removable, they are not removable. Their existence ends the first sentence (which is why you want them to be removable, and why you removed them). You even state it yourself. It furthers and sets in stone the finishing of aMoL before the progression of other stories.

I'm gonna have to go with Luckers on this one - on my first read of the blog I understood it to mean that he was finishing AMoL first but that he already has ideas on his first novel after TG to be taking place 5-10 yrs after TG.

I do also recall reading his blog from some time back about moving on to another project unrelated to WoT after AMoL, but hey, he's human and allowed to change his mind about things - maybe in the course of writing AMoL he got some great ideas for a new novel concentrated around the survivors and decided to run that project first instead. Would could only be so blessed!

Mat and Tuon, eh? Sounds promising, but with death at his heals, RJ would be rushing to finish his stories, and that can't be good, artistically. How ironic, seeing as how the story has dragged on for so long...I wish him luck, though; and would rather that he pull it of - IF he does intend to release this novel.

what's wrong with you, draven? show some sensitivity. the man is a war-hero and more than a hell of a great writer.

Sure it's insensitive, but it is also the thought that is at the back of everyone's mind. Obviously everyone wants RJ to pull through and live long and happily, first. But we wouldn't be fans if we weren't concerned about what the quality of this next book will be. It's an important discussion and not one that should be avoided soley for sensitivity's sake. I am not ashamed to admit - though I of course wish him the best - that I am worried about getting this last book and how well it will be written.

Anyway, for the "spoiler," I'm not sure why he told us. It does seem like a really strange thing to do. Maybe it's just for moral's sake? It's nice to know that they will live (And, more importantly, that it is implied the Light will prevail over the Dark One), since I like both characters, but... yeah.

Maybe he just has some tricks up his sleeve. :@

• 1 month later...

this may sound strange but i think i would be happy with a point form version of the book in the right order... and then i could just fill in the details... i just want the book.... well and the tow other prequils.. and the outrigger novels... damn.. rj is just going to have to get better....

Archived