DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane Went to the tower of Ghenjei

mlva103

I am new here so if this has already been talked about to death sorry. I googled and couldn't find anything on the net about it. Don't read if you have not read tower of Midnight.

Here is how my theory goes. Cadsuane was put on the path to help the dragon reborn around the same time she earned all her ter angreal one of which was Mat's Foxhead. She was put on this path most likely by a proficiency or prophetic dream. As part of her quest she went to the tower of Ghenjei. The Doorway was in the waste so she had to enter the way Mat tom and Jain Farstrider did. She had to pay a price the price was the Foxhead. What she got is important to teaching Rand.

Also i have a second theory Cadsuane and Verin tried to destroy the black Ajah. This is how Verin became black. Cadsuane is black in the same way Verin was. A member of the black but fighting for good.

Could you please critic my theories.

I am new here so if this has already been talked about to death sorry. I googled and couldn't find anything on the net about it. Don't read if you have not read tower of Midnight.

Here is how my theory goes. Cadsuane was put on the path to help the dragon reborn around the same time she earned all her ter angreal one of which was Mat's Foxhead. She was put on this path most likely by a proficiency or prophetic dream. As part of her quest she went to the tower of Ghenjei. The Doorway was in the waste so she had to enter the way Mat tom and Jain Farstrider did. She had to pay a price the price was the Foxhead. What she got is important to teaching Rand.

Also i have a second theory Cadsuane and Verin tried to destroy the black Ajah. This is how Verin became black. Cadsuane is black in the same way Verin was. A member of the black but fighting for good.

Could you please critic my theories.

Cadsuane's hair pieces are what was called in the AoL a Paralis-net. One of the pieces disrupts weaves and grows cool when someone embraces the source but there is nothing to indicate she ever had the foxhead medallion.

As for Cadsuane and the BA I do believe there is a reference to her at one time almost rooting them out but coming up just short. From this pov it is near impossible that she is BA even in the sense that Verin was.

WH Ch. 13

"I hope you will continue to watch them all closely," Cadsuane said. "Especially these last four." She was sure they would keep that ridiculous oath, if not always in ways the boy would like, but there was always the possibility that one or two might be Black Ajah. Once she had thought herself on the point of rooting out the Black only to watch her quarry slip through her fingers like smoke, her bitterest failure except possibly for failing to learn what Caraline Damodred's cousin had been up to in the Borderlands until the knowledge was years too late to do any good. Now, even the Black Ajah seemed a diversion from what was truly important.

Cadsuane attained her ter'angreal--including the one which acts like Mat's Foxhead--from a toothless wilder named Norla, who lived in the Black Hills.

In addition Verin and Cadsuane never worked together on destroying the Black Ajah. Verin nearly poisons Cadsuane in WH, staying her hand only when she realises Cadsuane truly means to help Rand, hardly the sort of event that would occur had there been any collaboration in the past--there are numerous other similar moments between the two clearly indicating they had little previous history or understanding of one another, but that is the strongest.

I think that's brilliant... though what makes you think Cadsuane had the foxhead? The black ajah thing though, that's clever. I hadn't thought of that one...

But we've seen the story from her point of view. If she really was black, we would have already known it. It would have been revealed in her thoughts

Plus there is already a Ter'Angreal that melts weaves in Cadsuanes hair net, there almost certainly wouldn't be a second that had the same function.

Actually there are seemingly two ter'angreal the melts weaves in Cadsuane's hair net. The inter-twined crescent moons which work like Mat's ter'angreal (melting weaves that directly touch the user, and go cold in the presence of the Power), and a second unknown ter'angreal which breaks distant weaves (the way she broke Semirhage's disguise).

Of course some argue that they are one and the same and that either Cadsuane's does more than Mat's, or Mat hasn't discovered the full use of his (or, as a non-channeler, isn't able to fully use his). It's possible of course, though I see no real evidence for it--Cadsuane has five remaining ter'angreal [three which she does not know the use--two fish and a crescent moon--and one which she knows the use of but which we do not--the third fish--and one which she MAY know the use of--the star which has never been directly mentioned in the text, which is the tenth and final piece in her collection] and any of these could serve this purpose, so there is no real need to join ter'angreal functions. My money is probably on the fish though.

Either way none of these are the foxhead, not a gift from the Finns--at least definately not a gift made directly to Cadsuane, and we have no reason to believe them a gift at all.

Just as an aside, I would be shocked if Cadsuane has NOT visited through the Red Door in Tear. She is, after all, like a super-Morraine, in that she doesn't care about societal norms and propriety when it gets in her way; both these Aei Sedai truly think their missions are the most important in the world. Not using a "tool" such as 3 questions about the future would be completely out of character.

We've no hint anywhere that she has visited Finnland (either).

We do know that she's not Black and she and Verin had very little to do with each other.

We do know that the Finns say it's been a very long time since anybody came calling though we have no clue what they mean by "very long time".

Well, freely admit that my assertion depends on one of two things:

-- Cadsuane had access to the Doorway in Tear, as we have no idea if anyone could come in contact with the items of power stored in there; and/or

-- Tear got the Doorway from Mayene recently, as in the last 300 years, making it certainly possible for Cadsuane to use it before it got stored away.

If neither of these two possibilities happened, then my theory goes POOF!

~~Edited for spelling

Ok, that's one possibility shot to pieces; is there anything on the possibility of access in Tear to the Doorway before Rand took the stone?

I thought this more unlikely than getting access in Mayene, since if Aei Sedai could see the items of power stored in the Stone, they would have took at least some of them. But you never know...

Ok, that's one possibility shot to pieces; is there anything on the possibility of access in Tear to the Doorway before Rand took the stone?

I thought this more unlikely than getting access in Mayene, since if Aei Sedai could see the items of power stored in the Stone, they would have took at least some of them. But you never know...

Well, Tear doesn't like AS.

But Cadsuane could have,for example, used the MoM to take on the appearance of a High Lord, pranced into the Stone, walked through the Door, done her thing with the questions and emerged.

But there's no hint anywhere that she did anything of the sort.

The Cadsuane Jordan wrote had a certainty about her that made me feel like she had knowledge of things others didn't, which gave me the idea of the Doorway.

Sanderson's Cadsuane is not so...determined? I'm not sure what is missing, but she isn't the domainant character Jordan gave us. That gives way to doubts, and Luckers has undermined the most likely scenario for me... lets just say I'm not married to the theory anymore.

I think the idea that Cadsuane used the Tear doorway to ask questions is perfectly viable- she had the knowledge and the means by virtue of just being who she is.

The idea that this would provide the opportunity to acquire a Ter Angreal seems far more unlikely to me. It would certainly violate the agreements and would require an adventure on the scale of what Mat went through to fight pass the reach the Aelfinn, somehow find the way to the deal room of the Eelfinn, broker a deal with them , and get out alive. Seems vanishingly unlikely, especially for a Ter Angreal she wouldn't have known was at the end of the rainbow to begin with. Simply arguing that she's Cadsuane and she can do anything is pretty Mary Sue. Even Birgette couldn't survive Finnland.

Archived