DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Okay... Asmodean... You know what I am asking here.

gaishain

Okay I want to know why ppl think it was Graendal... I am sure there is evidence... but apprently I missed it when reading the series. I am sure there are threads on here so if you do not feel like stating your theories then please tell me where I need to go to read this thread.

I'll try to sum it up. Forgive me if I make any errors, but I'm sure someone will come along and correct them.

Graendal was one of only 4 people who knew what Asmodean was doing and where he was. The others being Rahvin, Lanfear, and Rand. At the end of book 5, when Asmodean is killed, Rahvin and Lanfear are both out of the picture, and we know that Rand didn't kill him.

There is also the fact that Graendal doesn't hesitate at all to name Asmodean dead in a later meeting with other Forsaken.

Well no, Graendal and the others knew that Asmo was with Rand... but so did all the Forsaken. It is suggested that Graendal did it because she and those three others wre engaged in a plan to lure Rand into attacking Sammael. The plan was that Sammael would lure Rand into attacking him, and then Lanfear, Graendal and Rhavin would link and capture him.

At the time of Asmodean's death, the plan had just been put into action, therefore it was suggested that Graendal and Rhavin would be staying in touch... waiting for Rand to attack Sammael. Instead Rand attacks Rhavin. Graendal at this stage likely removed herself from line of sight, not wishing to be caught in the battle. She ran into Asmodean and took advantage of the chance and killed him.

Other then that Light Warrior is right... She does express a certain confidence that Asmodean is dead, even though this seems to be doubted by the others. We also know that somewhere around that time she visited Shayol Ghoul and was essentially promised to be made Nae'blis (at least thats what she chose to believe, she was misled of course).

Additionally RJ has said it seemed intuitively obvious to him who the killer was at the time of the murder. At that time we knew five living forsaken; Lanfear, Rhavin, Sammael, Graendal and Moghedian.

Intuitively we can remove Lanfear, who had just been captured, and was at this time being held against her will in another dimension--or dead, as we thought at the time, Rhavin, who had just died, Moghedian who had just been captured. To a lesser extent we know that Sammael was waiting to be attacked--therefore Graendal is the only one unaccounted for on the pure level of it being obvious. Since later we additionall find out for certain that Sammael didn't do it, it seems likely that it was Graendal.

In PoD we also hear that she went to Illian to make sure there was no evidence linking her to Sammy. It could be that was what she was doing in Camelyn.

I also think it was her because of the McGuffin princable. She served NO other purpose in tFoH to warrant her introduction.

I'll grant introducing her then doesn't serve any immediate purpose, but then what immediate purpose has been seved by Demandred's introduction in LoC?

We're told that we still haven't met his alter ego, and it's now 5 books later. Does the McGuffin prinicple make him the primary suspect for every bad thing that has happened since then?

Archived