DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A common misconception about Moiraine

Gabriel Kross

i thought moghedien was the weakest of the forsaken, and equal in strength to nyn. i must be missing something.

It's between Moggy and Mesaana. Moggy prolly is the weaker.

The thing you're forgetting is that when Nynaeve took on Moggy, Nyn was not at her full potential yet.

It was stated by RJ that it takes quite while under normal circumstances to max out, any where from 5-10 years. The older someone is the faster they reach their potential and men tend to gain their strength faster than women as well.

"Forced training" through rigorous power use and/or through using angreal and sa'angreal can greatly reduce that time. Around 2 years was mentioned.

RJ also expressed that all 3 of Nyneave, Elayne and Egwene have all gone through some forced training.

None more than Nyneave imo with the Choedan Kal. I believe without a doubt, that that extended usage of that much power maxed her out.

hmm i suppose maybe she wasn't maxed when she defeated moggy. but even at that point she had been using the one power for nearly 10 years so she must have been insanely close already. not knowingly using it, but she started before she was wisdom, perhaps somebody can interject how long she WAS wisdom, then we can add the forcing on top of that. i find it unlikely that she wasn't at her max by the time she laid her hands on the key. but regardless i remember years ago, like 10 years ago, reading something related to rj stating that nyn was equal to mogg in the one power, and nyn really didn't hardly have any growth in the power to do at that point (after comma was all me, not what i read). but someone here said she might be equiv to semhirage? that just seems inaccurate. moggy is the only forsaken she could challenge face to face without aid i would think. maybe mesanna before she started drooling. but i remember mesanna as being a middle power forsaken among the females, oh well my info is off my head and wotmania is gone heh. of course with her net she could likely best many others head to head if they don't have help

I'll have to look it up but there's a passage somewhere (either when Talaan is first gauged, Elayne's PoV I think, or when when Moggy is talking to Nynaeve) where it is stated that Nyn is not maxed out yet.

Might take a bit to find it.

Her 10 years of previous power usage was minimal at best and I already provided the quote as to Nynaeve and Mesaana.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought moghedien was the weakest of the forsaken, and equal in strength to nyn. i must be missing something.

It's between Moggy and Mesaana. Moggy prolly is the weaker.

The thing you're forgetting is that when Nynaeve took on Moggy, Nyn was not at her full potential yet.

It was stated by RJ that it takes quite while under normal circumstances to max out, any where from 5-10 years. The older someone is the faster they reach their potential and men tend to gain their strength faster than women as well.

"Forced training" through rigorous power use and/or through using angreal and sa'angreal can greatly reduce that time. Around 2 years was mentioned.

RJ also expressed that all 3 of Nyneave, Elayne and Egwene have all gone through some forced training.

None more than Nyneave imo with the Choedan Kal. I believe without a doubt, that that extended usage of that much power maxed her out.

hmm i suppose maybe she wasn't maxed when she defeated moggy. but even at that point she had been using the one power for nearly 10 years so she must have been insanely close already. not knowingly using it, but she started before she was wisdom, perhaps somebody can interject how long she WAS wisdom, then we can add the forcing on top of that. i find it unlikely that she wasn't at her max by the time she laid her hands on the key. but regardless i remember years ago, like 10 years ago, reading something related to rj stating that nyn was equal to mogg in the one power, and nyn really didn't hardly have any growth in the power to do at that point (after comma was all me, not what i read). but someone here said she might be equiv to semhirage? that just seems inaccurate. moggy is the only forsaken she could challenge face to face without aid i would think. maybe mesanna before she started drooling. but i remember mesanna as being a middle power forsaken among the females, oh well my info is off my head and wotmania is gone heh. of course with her net she could likely best many others head to head if they don't have help

I would think that wilders are an anomaly. I don't think her growth in the OP started until she started embracing saidar and using it whenever she got mad.. or perhaps not until she broke through her block. If not, then the "6 female channelers stronger than Nynaeve" statement does not fit, for there would be about 7 channelers stronger than Nynaeve: Lanfear/Cyndane, Graendal, Alivia, Sharina, Mesaana, Semirhage, and Someryn. Plus, there are other quotes where Nynaeve is considered to be AT LEAST at if not above Semirhage in the OP strength (full potential).

It seems obvious to me that she was NOT maxed out at that point. Moghedien is the weakest of the female forsaken, yet Brandon says that Nynaeve is almost certainly stronger than Semirhage and Mesaana. Therefore, if she was evenly matched with Moggy when she faced her, it means she wasn't at her maximum strength yet.

Excuse me for getting a little bit off-topic (the topic, as I see it, is quite "off" without my posts, so...), but can someone provide the quote by RJ about the six stronger than Nynaeve women. I have never heard about that. I assume the Forsaken are not included in the list, right?

Once again, I apologize for the off-topic.

Yes it does include Forsaken.

Here's the Q&A:

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

Q: How does Nynaeve compare with Semirhage in One Power strength?

A: I’m pretty sure she’s stronger, but they are very close. RJ has a list of all the channelers' strengths. On that list, only six people are stronger than Nynaeve. It’s such a rare event that pretty much any time we meet someone stronger than her, it’s explicitly said. There are two One Power strength scales—an ‘old’ and a ‘new’. Nynaeve was the top of the female list for the ‘old’ list. Six are stronger on the ‘new’ list.

Brandon was pretty certain that Nynaeve is stronger than Mesaana, who isn’t particularly strong in Forsaken terms.

Leaving us with, in no particular order:

Graendal

Lanfear/Cyndane

Sharina

Alivia

Semirhage

Talaan of the Windfinders and Someryn of the Shaido are the only other possibilities mentioned. Talaan however is more likely and even then, she is only said to be as strong as Nynaeve not stronger.

With Someryn, it seems a bit of a long shot as she is only described as stronger than any current Tower AS (not including Egwene and Elayne) and Graendal describes her ability "as not inconsiderable" but still obviously still quite a bit under herself. Personally, I put her in around Egwene and Elayne, maybe as high as Mesaana.

Thanks a lot! Does "people" mean women in BS's quote :P. As I don't remember anything about Saidin strength scale. Rand and Moridin are on another level, but I'm still sure that both Taim and Demandred are stronger than Nynaeve (although nothing is sure about Demandred). And as it is explicitly said only for Alivia and Sharina to be stronger than Nynaeve that leaves four question marks which could be filled by the aforementioned 4 men. OK, I will try to read and find out everything that has been written about this and I'll see if I should add a new topic. I suppose there has been a topic about this 2 years ago, how did I miss it! Bloody scales! :)

Found it, PoD chptr 2. At that time, Elayne states flat out that Nynaeve and herself had not reached their full potential yet. That Egwene was further along than herself but that was because she was forced with the Seanchan.

She also stated that Talaan's potential was below that of only Nynaeve but still below.

Excuse me for getting a little bit off-topic (the topic, as I see it, is quite "off" without my posts, so...), but can someone provide the quote by RJ about the six stronger than Nynaeve women. I have never heard about that. I assume the Forsaken are not included in the list, right?

Here's the Q&A:

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

A: I’m pretty sure she’s stronger, but they are very close. RJ has a list of all the channelers' strengths. On that list, only six people are stronger than Nynaeve. It’s such a rare event that pretty much any time we meet someone stronger than her, it’s explicitly said. There are two One Power strength scales—an ‘old’ and a ‘new’. Nynaeve was the top of the female list for the ‘old’ list. Six are stronger on the ‘new’ list.

Brandon was pretty certain that Nynaeve is stronger than Mesaana, who isn’t particularly strong in Forsaken terms.

Graendal

Lanfear/Cyndane

Sharina

Alivia

Semirhage

Talaan of the Windfinders and Someryn of the Shaido are the only other possibilities mentioned. Talaan however is more likely and even then, she is only said to be as strong as Nynaeve not stronger.

With Someryn, it seems a bit of a long shot as she is only described as stronger than any current Tower AS (not including Egwene and Elayne) and Graendal describes her ability "as not inconsiderable" but still obviously still quite a bit under herself. Personally, I put her in around Egwene and Elayne, maybe as high as Mesaana.

Thanks a lot! Does "people" mean women in BS's quote :P. As I don't remember anything about Saidin strength scale. Rand and Moridin are on another level, but I'm still sure that both Taim and Demandred are stronger than Nynaeve (although nothing is sure about Demandred). And as it is explicitly said only for Alivia and Sharina to be stronger than Nynaeve that leaves four question marks which could be filled by the aforementioned 4 men. OK, I will try to read and find out everything that has been written about this and I'll see if I should add a new topic. I suppose there has been a topic about this 2 years ago, how did I miss it! Bloody scales! :)

Basically there is one scale, apparently from 1-24.

Only men can achieve above level 21 but, for lack of a better word, men are more clumsy with the power than women. (personally, I think it has to do with how they tap the power. Men have to seize and fight with it, women succumb and guide it. The guiding provides more agility and finesse than the fighting imo.)

Relevant quotes:

Regarding the levels of male strength: While the weakest man and the weakest woman would be roughly equivalent, you might say that there are several levels of male strength on top of the female levels. Remember to integrate this with what I’ve said elsewhere about effectiveness, though.

On channeler strength: he said that he knew the rough strength of every channeler in the books, imposed on a 21-graded scale. Nynaeve he said had Forsaken strength, i.e. as strong as most female Forsaken. Egwene, Elayne and Aviendha were a step lower, and an additional step lower Elaida, Siuan and Moiraine were found. They were the strongest Aes Sedai known before "the new ones". Several Aes Sedai, including Leane and Kiruna, were next in strength. By the old standards they were deemed very strong and capable

Unless we specify that we can't have both persons use the One Power, Rand - Elayne or Rand - Aviendha is clearly the most powerful and dangerous couple in a fight.

Yeah I'll agree with you at there :) Hell, even if you shield Aviendha, you better be fast with binding her or she's as likely to pick up a spear and hurl it at you as panic.

I don't count Rand in duos he wouldn't be in the last battle without BOTH Elayne and Aviendha so it automatically rules him out of the duos

That's why I said introduced the weaves. They all were introduced after Moiraine disappeared, which means she doesn't know any of them. And even going into the Blight once without Lan (it had to be without Lan; when they finally get to the Eye of the World, the Green Man expresses surprise at Moiraine being there but not Lan) doesn't make up all the extra experience Nynaeve has had these past few years. Plus, even at Moiraine's peak, Nynaeve is at her peak power level now. Nynaeve is way more powerful in terms of raw One Power that she can control than Moiraine ever was. And, even if they were equal, the Lan-Thom skill difference is astronomical. Even now that they both have Warder powers, Lan is the single most prolific fighter in terms of non-One Powerness in the entire series. He's better with a sword than Mat is with the ashandarei, better than Thom with knives, better than Rand ever was with any sword. Nynaeve/Lan is without a doubt the best combo. I might even take them over all the Green Aes Sedais and their multiple Warders.

you must have read both my posts, i carefully tried not to specify that one was above the other in any way. nyn vs current moiraine head on, moiraine burns, nyn vs current moiraine sneaky, would depend on if both knew they were supposed to kill each other and who saw who first. but that isn't the point really. and lan would be up against one hell of a match using basic weapons against mat, or even rand without the op and missing a hand. of course if rand had both hands, lan wouldn't stand a chance, only gawyn or galad would. lan is good, but he is also 50 years or so old. gawyn even without the bond would likely split him down the center. keep in mind gawyn killed hammar, the only other warder that could go toe to toe with him. (doubt suan sanche would have accepted any less, or even her pillow friend)but regardless this post is supposed to be about moiraine. and the fact is she is a big foggy image when it comes to what she can do. and what weaves she knows. she knew baelfire. before moggy got captured. now explain to me how she couldn't know other insanely powerful weaves? as i keep trying to say, she is an unknown. but yah, in a fight, even with her angreal, moiraine would get he ass whipped, but that is a straight up fight. i also would like to mention the constant random element that is clearly a part of this series. i'm just trying to say that they bot have advantages, they both have detractors.

very well stated on the Moiraine points, however Lan would still destroy Gawyn, pretty sure Lan was way better than Hammer. Galad or Rand might have a chance against him, or Thom's Knives (don't forget he is extremely accurate with throwing them)

Here's the Q&A:

Graendal

Lanfear/Cyndane

Sharina

Alivia

Semirhage

Moghedien is the weakest female forsaken, possibly the weakest forsaken. She and Nynaeve were equal in the OP during their first confrontation when Nynaeve had yet to reach her "full potential" which is what female channelers consider to be "how strong" another female channeler is since they can sense the "full potential" of a channler.

Hmm... as for Someryn, I've always been under the impression that the levels between forsaken and Elayne/Avi/Egwene were exponentially great and not just like "2 or 3 levels apart". After all, it is Moiraine who first notices that Nynaeve is a "bonfire" compared to the "candle" that is Egwene and Elayne. That said, I'd say Someryn is probably about equal in terms of the OP to Semirhage.

In fact, this is how I would rank the top level female channelers:

1. Lanfear

2. Cyndane; Alivia

3. Graendal; Sharina

5. Nynaeve

6. Semirhage; Someryn; Talaan

7. Mesaana

8. Moghedien; Tamela; Viendre

9. xxx

10. xxx

11. Elayne, Egwene, Aviendha

This is definately wrong being as its explicitly said there are 6 stronger than Nynaeve, first off Lanfear is Cyndane that makes your list have only 4 people above Nynaeve also, I do believe Nynaeve surpases Cyndane since the other forsaken mistake her for a black ajah meaning she is extremely weak compared to when she was Lanfear

*Side note who is Sharina? Is she the really old lady accepted?

if nyn is really definitively stronger than moggy why are so many on this site so interested in seeing a rematch between the two. now don't get me wrong, i wanna see it go down as much as the next guy, but i was hoping for a straight up cat fight. i suppose moggy is going to use the same type of tactics against nyn that i suggested moiraine would use. no way moggy would openly confront someone who can channel more power than her, although she would openly confront someone who can channel the same amount as she can, but has less than half the knowledge and experience. and of course regardless of that possible confrontation, moggy is gonna wanna have something up her sleeve unless she doesn't have a choice.

If Moghedien was going to kill someone with 1 tenth her power, who had not even mastered the basics to be raised Accepted in the white tower, she would still do it from ambush given the chance. That's who she is. She doesn't take any chance she can see a way to avoid,

though nyn puts moggy's panties in a twist for lack of another phrase.

Ok, so I've heard it said many times that Lan is definitely the best fighter (non one power). Just wondering where this comes from, did I miss something, or are people just drawing random conclusions =P

lan is a legend among the warders. on that legend he was never defeated in a sparring match with other warders up until the time he stopped sparring with them. but beyond that, he is also known to have defeated more blademasters than any living in to the death combat. although this is also a world where a person who has defeated to the death two blademasters would be insanely rare.

Heh, that's for sure. She still went for balefire through her cabin rather than a confrontation though

true, but an impulsive act like that now would likely result in moggy getting smacked over the head by an air club. one thing i'm always wondered about, can a channeler draw on a well while shielded? now that would be a hell of a twist if cad or nyn were captured by a singular enemy, and while that individual gloated, they drew through the well and knocked em out, lmao.

Lan is awesome no doubt about it but I would be curious to see what would happen between Rhurac and Lan

people have too high an opinion of lan when it comes to his martial prowess as far as i am concerned. yes, he was possibly the most dangerous non channeler in the world, 10 years ago. nobody thinks about the fact that the man is old, blademaster or not age counts, even with the bond. and even in the stories of randland the best swordmaster in history was defeated by a youngster with a quarterstaff.

i think rhurac and lan in a fight couldn't happen. lan could never close on rhurac, and rhurac is a general, he'd just have him peppered with arrows.

Lan is awesome no doubt about it but I would be curious to see what would happen between Rhurac and Lan

people have too high an opinion of lan when it comes to his martial prowess as far as i am concerned. yes, he was possibly the most dangerous non channeler in the world, 10 years ago. nobody thinks about the fact that the man is old, blademaster or not age counts, even with the bond. and even in the stories of randland the best swordmaster in history was defeated by a youngster with a quarterstaff.

i think rhurac and lan in a fight couldn't happen. lan could never close on rhurac, and rhurac is a general, he'd just have him peppered with arrows.

oh, and aiel don't duel. if an aiel wants a man dead, they kill them. they worry about the consequences later.

edit: the same way the maidens decided to beat the crap out of rand for leaving them behind when he went to illian.

if nyn is really definitively stronger than moggy why are so many on this site so interested in seeing a rematch between the two. now don't get me wrong, i wanna see it go down as much as the next guy, but i was hoping for a straight up cat fight. i suppose moggy is going to use the same type of tactics against nyn that i suggested moiraine would use. no way moggy would openly confront someone who can channel more power than her, although she would openly confront someone who can channel the same amount as she can, but has less than half the knowledge and experience. and of course regardless of that possible confrontation, moggy is gonna wanna have something up her sleeve unless she doesn't have a choice.

I don't think Moggy will have a choice do to the item Moridin has to control her, I believe it will be an attempt to distract Nynaeve however I believe she will have help from another forsaken to even it out though I doubt it will be Cyndane, I believe she will be put up against Moiraine

oh, and aiel don't duel. if an aiel wants a man dead, they kill them. they worry about the consequences later.

edit: the same way the maidens decided to beat the crap out of rand for leaving them behind when he went to illian.

Aparently RJ said Lan is the best swordmaster in the series, I actually don't know the exact quote but tWoTcast mentioned it, also Myrelle's other warders appeared scared of him when he was running through forms when Egwene found out about the bond pass

I don't think Moggy will have a choice do to the item Moridin has to control her, I believe it will be an attempt to distract Nynaeve however I believe she will have help from another forsaken to even it out though I doubt it will be Cyndane, I believe she will be put up against Moiraine

i don't know, in allot of cases where i see people setting up matches they just seem too much like wishful thinking. just because people have a reason to want to fight, doesn't mean that they will. hell the art of war basically says that that allowing an expected match is bad strategy. even if you are the one who is expected to win. i understand its a book, but you would expect that once the choices can be made, both rand, and moridin, will try to avoid big strategic mistakes.

Aparently RJ said Lan is the best swordmaster in the series, I actually don't know the exact quote but tWoTcast mentioned it, also Myrelle's other warders appeared scared of him when he was running through forms when Egwene found out about the bond pass

perhaps rj did, haven't seen it, wont contradict it. although lan wouldn't have had to be a very good swordmaster at that point for her warders to fear him. he was unpredictable and could strike out at any point for no apparent reason, yah they were scared to death.

EDIT: they were living with a rattle snake that was always coiled to strike

Here's the Q&A:

Graendal

Lanfear/Cyndane

Sharina

Alivia

Semirhage

Moghedien is the weakest female forsaken, possibly the weakest forsaken. She and Nynaeve were equal in the OP during their first confrontation when Nynaeve had yet to reach her "full potential" which is what female channelers consider to be "how strong" another female channeler is since they can sense the "full potential" of a channler.

Hmm... as for Someryn, I've always been under the impression that the levels between forsaken and Elayne/Avi/Egwene were exponentially great and not just like "2 or 3 levels apart". After all, it is Moiraine who first notices that Nynaeve is a "bonfire" compared to the "candle" that is Egwene and Elayne. That said, I'd say Someryn is probably about equal in terms of the OP to Semirhage.

In fact, this is how I would rank the top level female channelers:

1. Lanfear

2. Cyndane; Alivia

3. Graendal; Sharina

5. Nynaeve

6. Semirhage; Someryn; Talaan

7. Mesaana

8. Moghedien; Tamela; Viendre

9. xxx

10. xxx

11. Elayne, Egwene, Aviendha

This is definately wrong being as its explicitly said there are 6 stronger than Nynaeve, first off Lanfear is Cyndane that makes your list have only 4 people above Nynaeve also, I do believe Nynaeve surpases Cyndane since the other forsaken mistake her for a black ajah meaning she is extremely weak compared to when she was Lanfear

*Side note who is Sharina? Is she the really old lady accepted?

This is how I rank the KNOWN female channelers to date... meaning there are so far 4 known female channelers that surpass Nynaeve in strength leaving 2 unknown. And yes, I'm well aware that Cynane is Lanfear reincarnated, but I listed her twice because between those two forms, there is a difference in power, Cyndane being slightly weaker than Lanfear.

No, Nynaeve does NOT surpass Cyndane is strength. Graendal is the second strongest female forsaken in terms of the OP, and she notes that Cyndane is stronger than herself.. meaning Cyndane>Graendal>Nynaeve.

And yes, Sharina is the old lady novice/accepted. (I forget whether she's still a novice or whether she was promoted for being extraordinarily vigilant in her duties).

People want to see a re-match because we want to see Moghedien get her ass kicked. More Nynaeve screen-time is just a bonus.

Sharina is a novice, she was just lead novice

also, whoever stated mat isnt a bladesmaster is absolutely correct, we have already seen what mat can do against multiple masters with a staff/ashendrei(sp) in several occasions 1 with gawyn and galad (not sure if they are full masters at the time), the other stated time he specifically fights blademasters is in tear in the stone

Archived