DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Towers after Tarmon Gai'don

Leyrann

So, two days ago, we had Latin at school. And we were talking about the Roman Republic. For those who do not know it, the Roman Republic was ruled by two Consuls and the Senate. The Consuls had most power, and both had veto (is that the right way to say it? :blush: ).

So now I thought, will the Towers be reunited, with Egwene and Logain as sort of Consuls, and the Hall + the Asha'man leaders the Senate?

An interesting thought. I'll be honest, I've thought about post-TG tower for awhile.

First, I think it's almost certain that the black and white towers will join. It would only make sense that there be male and female leadership within the new structure - and we will see the Aes Sedai bend knee to the forgotten sign (I know that's already happened, but RJ likes to be sneaky with some of the prophecies).

I've thought that the black tower inhabitants could come to Tar Valon and inhabit what was going to be Elaida's palace. Or perhaps the Kin will set up shop there. Or maybe the white tower will get raized by the Seanchan and all of the channelers will set up shop in Rhuidean (something has to happen there). There are a lot of possibilities for the post world, and I am excited to see exactly what will fall where when the dust clears.

Something else to consider, will the Asha'man break up into 'Ajahs' to mirror their Aes Sedai counterparts? Will the Aes Sedai - Warder/Asha'man bond remain the same or will there be some joinings where the man is more dominant (without using a mild compulsion)?

I can see the Ajahs being done away with to be honest. The White Tower being divided into different factions the way it is just doesnt seem to work , and I think theyre learning that lesson via Egwene. For one thing, the Red Ajah is deeply useless, and even though theyve decided to start bonding male channelers I cant see them having exclusive rights to that if/when the Towers merge. Limiting male-female bonds to the Ajah whose purpose was to treat men born a certain way as criminals? I cant see that happening, despite what the Reds think. So either they reformat the entire Tower to include men as equals, or they lay some people off. Like, the entire Red Ajah (again, not happening)

I can see Egwene making a speech about the combined Towers being reformatted into a single Ajah that encompasses both genders, without divisive factions or ranks beyond a trainee/qualified channeler kind of thing. Sure, they might have different departments so to speak, but factions? I doubt it.

Too much bad blood and hate and bias between them, and a feeling of superiority on the Aes Sedai's side. Personally I think it'll take some time before they trust each other enough to join in any way.

As for Elaida's Tower, it was only at the foundations point, definitely not livable, and it'll take a long time to complete it. Don't think the Ashaman will care too much for that. Besides they're pretty proud of who they are and of the BT.

I don't think it's a far-fetched idea. I wouldn't have thought the proud Asha'man willing to become obedient Warders but they jumped right into it. And, following the implication that Logain will lead after Taim is inevitably taken down, Logain has a reasonable respect toward Aes Sedai.

No, I think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be SOME substantial joining of the WT and BT, but the extent, accomodations, and command structure will be very interesting to see.

I don't think it's a far-fetched idea. I wouldn't have thought the proud Asha'man willing to become obedient Warders but they jumped right into it. And, following the implication that Logain will lead after Taim is inevitably taken down, Logain has a reasonable respect toward Aes Sedai.

No, I think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be SOME substantial joining of the WT and BT, but the extent, accomodations, and command structure will be very interesting to see.

Yes, because that's the way Warders are supposed to act. The relation between an Aes Sedai and her warder is crystal clear, and I imagine that Merise, Corele, and..??..the other one, weren't going to allow for anything different. As for Logain respecting Aes Sedai, well respect is simply courtesy, and even if the Aes Sedai don't show it to the Ashaman, Logain shows it to them. But that doesn't mean he trusts them.

I think that they'll have to work together for the Last Battle, but after that nothing is certain. They could forget about everything that's happened and decide to start anew but seeing as even Androl doesn't trust Aes Sedai, I just can't see it happening, not so quickly. I think more than anything they'll try to stay out of each others way. The BT would be wary of the the WT trying to gain influence over the Ashaman, which is another reason for them not to join so quickly. I imagine the Ashaman will want the Aes Sedai to fully respect them and see them as equals, before considering any alliance.

I'm thinking that it might be one of the things that don't get resolved in the last book, unfortunately. I would have really liked to know as well. Maybe it will show up in the Encyclopedia.

I don't think they will instantly unite after TG either. But they will have to have some kind of connexion. After seeing what can be accomplished by men and women working together, they won't be willing to give it up. Larger circles (for women) or circles at all (for men). More complex weaves, probably. Perhaps ter'angreal that require both saidin and saidar. Maybe they'll decide to extend the "Warder exchange" thing to more channelers because it's already happened, so it's easier to do since there's a precedent. Maybe they'll find a bond in which neither of the two dominates. And then it will take time, but slowly, I believe that they will move towards a closer and closer relationship, and they will end up uniting. It won't be right away, but it will probably happen.

This is a non-spoiler board, so it is hard to go into detail but those who have read ToM should know what I am talking about. If you remember, there was a certain scene involving Aviendha and it revealed what may be the fate of the towers after TG. The way this scene is set up, it seems to be an unavoidable future.

I think that harmonious type of Tower is something way in the future of Randland. I don't see it as possible within the time span of a few generations, let alone in Egwene's and Logain's lifetimes.

The Tower was split and now they are healing that division. To many people still remember when male channelers were hunted. To say that they will be welcomed into a joint council type of leadership is too farfetched.

I think that harmonious type of Tower is something way in the future of Randland. I don't see it as possible within the time span of a few generations, let alone in Egwene's and Logain's lifetimes.

The Tower was split and now they are healing that division. To many people still remember when male channelers were hunted. To say that they will be welcomed into a joint council type of leadership is too farfetched.

Exactly, there is quite simply no trust for each other, and, in the Aes Sedai's case, a strong belief that they are supperior, and a lack of respect. Add the animosity between the two, the not-so-good relations they've had so far, and the fact that the BT is doing just fine on it's own and should be wary of the WT trying to gain influence over them, and it seems to me that unity between the two is a far way off.

OK I know so many people hate Egwene, but she had a moment in ToM when waiting for Nynaeve and Elayne in TAR. She say the new window in the hall composed of both the Dragon Fang and the Flame, wondering if there was another world that TAR was mirroring. Graendal also refers to fleeing to worlds accessed through portal stones where the DOs' reach was weaker. Also, I believe that one of the early explanations of Portal Stones refers to all the possibilities of "What If?"

Taking this a step further, we know that the Dreamers often receive visions of the future while in TAR or dreaming. Could this window be a product of the a future possibility where Black and White Towers are allied, and the new larger tower is the Tamrylin's tower?

OK I know so many people hate Egwene, but she had a moment in ToM when waiting for Nynaeve and Elayne in TAR. She say the new window in the hall composed of both the Dragon Fang and the Flame, wondering if there was another world that TAR was mirroring. Graendal also refers to fleeing to worlds accessed through portal stones where the DOs' reach was weaker. Also, I believe that one of the early explanations of Portal Stones refers to all the possibilities of "What If?"

Taking this a step further, we know that the Dreamers often receive visions of the future while in TAR or dreaming. Could this window be a product of the a future possibility where Black and White Towers are allied, and the new larger tower is the Tamrylin's tower?

I think there was a thread about this somewhere around here.

Here it is.

Archived