DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Claes

Shout if you need any help :biggrin:

Interesting handle - is there a story behind it?

There is indeed a story behind my handle. Apart from fantasy fiction, and the WoT, my favorite fiction is character based historical fiction, and Claes is one of the more familiar names of one of the characters from my favorite HF series, The House of Niccolo, written by Dorothy Dunnett. Here is a link to the first book:

http://www.amazon.com/Niccol%C3%B2-Rising-First-Book-House/dp/0375704779/ref=cm_lmf_tit_7

I would recommend it to anyone interested in complex character based historical and adventure fiction. Anyway, I play a browser based game where I used that name and have since become comfortable with people calling me Claes, so it made sense that if I was to become active on a forum that I would be called Claes. Thank you for asking.

Welcome to DM, Claes!

Is there a WoT character you absolutely hate?

What's your least-favourite part? (I finally got some questions of my own instead of copying AH's! At least kind of...) :happy:

Hope you like DM!

Hmm, the anti-questions... interesting.

To answer your question, there are not many characters that I don't like, but most of the Children of Light are not my favorite. They remind me of fictional versions of strict fundamentalists. As far as parts I don't like: again, not many. I am only up to book 8 but I have read them several times. Some people seem to think that the series may have dropped off in the later books written by RJ, but I seem to think that he, as a writer, is maturing along with his characters. And it's fun to follow them through their lives. There aren't many, if any, parts that I don't like. There are parts that don't propel the story along, but I still read them along with everything else.

Claes

teehee we have a ball going on in the Aiel right now... :P

Hello!! Welcome to dm!!

Which book are you on? Which parts and characters are your favorites?

I am on the 9th book, having several times read my way through the first half dozen, now finding myself re-reading with more sustained pleasure than anything before. I have a system, though, where I intersperse the books from one series with books from another, and shuffle them about, so that at any one time, I am reading between four and five different series at once. This allows me to read a series over the course of years if it is long enough, though there are drawbacks to my system. If I find myself even a little bit lost, I start over right from book one. I have started the WoT three times, and this time mean to finish it.

My favorite character is Moiraine, hands down. I think of the characters we have followed for what - they have left the Two Rivers only a short time before - but there lives have been filled to the brim since then with this struggle. And then I think about how Moiraine has done this, fought this way, for decades of stratagems and intrigues and becomes willing to do anything, at considerable expense, to follow it out. All of the others waver slightly to some degree - even Lan - but Moiraine never did. Very interesting character study.

Thanks for asking.

Claes

Shout if you need any help :biggrin:

Interesting handle - is there a story behind it?

There is indeed a story behind my handle. Apart from fantasy fiction, and the WoT, my favorite fiction is character based historical fiction, and Claes is one of the more familiar names of one of the characters from my favorite HF series, The House of Niccolo, written by Dorothy Dunnett. Here is a link to the first book:

http://www.amazon.co...ef=cm_lmf_tit_7

I would recommend it to anyone interested in complex character based historical and adventure fiction. Anyway, I play a browser based game where I used that name and have since become comfortable with people calling me Claes, so it made sense that if I was to become active on a forum that I would be called Claes. Thank you for asking.

Strangely, I'm not a huge fan of character based historical fiction. I prefer to separate my fact from my fiction ... lol ... there have been the occasional books which I found quite interesting, though.

And thanks for explaining about your handle - I find people's stories fascinating :biggrin:

Archived