DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RJ's real-world references

Terez

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, RJ's favorite sff movies, or those he chose to list, are: Excalibur, Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Terminator, and Bladerunner. We know he referenced Excalibur and Terminator 2 pretty blatantly. What about the others?

So, RJ's favorite sff movies, or those he chose to list, are: Excalibur, Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Terminator, and Bladerunner. We know he referenced Excalibur and Terminator 2 pretty blatantly. What about the others?

Well, it could be argued that at least part of the inspiration for the gholam came from Blade Runner. Both replicants and gholam are bio-engineered, looks perfectly human, and has superior strength and agility. And, there were six replicants that escaped, three male and three female. While we can find many sources for this, including the obvious Golem in jewish folklore, I think that the three men, three women is a direct nod to the movie.

Well, it could be argued that at least part of the inspiration for the gholam came from Blade Runner. Both replicants and gholam are bio-engineered, looks perfectly human, and has superior strength and agility. And, there were six replicants that escaped, three male and three female. While we can find many sources for this, including the obvious Golem in jewish folklore, I think that the three men, three women is a direct nod to the movie.

Good one! Someone on Twitter suggested that Blade Runner was an inspiration for Halfmen (the term he used - I don't know if his choice was significant).

As possible candidates I might submit:

Callandor = Lightsaber/Excalibut - DUH, I know, lol. easy.

I see a bit of Irish folk singers in the Tinkers.

Rand, in Book 12, going up the slopes of Dragonmount and gaining enlightenment is very biblical - as is sooo much in WOT. Again, probably too easy.

Mat always reminded me SLIGHTLY of Han Solo. Again, the Star Wars analogies probably too easy.

Tam has (very obviously) a bit of Obi Wan Kenobi and Joseph as well.

Mat (really Aludra) ''inventing'' cannons...

Aes Sedai and Aiel both harken slightly to societies in the Dune novels.

The trick of ''Skimming'' seems like a modern day comparison to...I don't know...a hovercraft? A scooter?

Fish

Every time I start reading something new, I am amazed by the number of VERY obscure references that RJ made to our "history".

I was helping someone out with some questions about similarities between Jesus and King Arthur - and got on the wikipedia site. The articles there are actually quite well done, with LOTS of references. I thought you would get a kick out of the page on "Merlin" - the number of stolen names and copied storylines are truly amazing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin

My ghast was flabbered a couple of years ago, when researchers found that "Merlin" wasn't the dude's name - it was a TITLE... so he wasn't just "Merlin" - he was "A merlin"...

Amerlin?

Yeah, the depth of his research still boggles my mind.

When I first read about the Ajahs I was immediately reminded of the 'Six Hats' technique which is intended to assist with creative thinking.

Six distinct {brain} states are identified and assigned a color:

*Information: (White) - considering purely what information is available, what are the facts?

*Emotions (Red) - instinctive gut reaction or statements of emotional feeling (but not any justification)

*Bad points judgment (Black) - logic applied to identifying flaws or barriers, seeking mismatch

*Good points judgment (Yellow) - logic applied to identifying benefits, seeking harmony

*Creativity (Green) - statements of provocation and investigation, seeing where a thought goes

*Thinking (Blue) - thinking about thinking

Coloured hats are used as metaphors for each state. Switching to a state is symbolized by the act of putting on a coloured hat, either literally or metaphorically.

• 1 year later...

Speaking of song lyrics that seem like they're written about WoT...

Awakening to a swirling surgence
I peel away to listen in
Turning myself away from the future
Unable to explain anything
Spanning the sights of emerging patterns
I peel away to feel what's seen
I'm letting go of the fate I'm escaping
Riding the timewaves origin

Take in mystica
Take in mystica
Surfing the void
Light as the guide