DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question about the word Dragon in WoT

I'm only about halfway through the series right now, but I was wondering, is it ever explained why Lews Therin came to be called the Dragon or what the word meant in the WoT universe before it was applied to Lews Therin? In other words, I'm wondering if "Dragon" in the Age of Legends meant dragons as we know them, or whether there's yet another layer of separation between their mythology and ours.

There is this quote from Robert Jordan

Netherlands tour, Dromen and Demonen chat - 6 April 2001

Lowlander: Are there any dragons (like real dragons (=animals)) in Rand's world? If not where did they get the idea of dragons?

RJ: There are no animal dragons of any kind in this world. the people speak of a man called the Dragon. They know that the banner that has a certain creature on it was the banner of this man and they have taken to calling this creature the dragon. To them it is a simple association with the name of this man.

As to whether it's revealed in the books, I'll say RAFO (because I can't remember).

The books do not specifically tell why Lews Therin was called the Dragon.

"dragons as we know them" is vague. Different literature describes them somewhat differently; though physical structure is somewhat similar in all literature.

Archived