DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what happened to Narishma

Nighttrain

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Demandred has been seen on screen. He hasn't been on screen in a disguise

Where "on screen"? I am not really counting FS meetings. Or when he gives instructions to Black AM (perhaps in dreams).

What I really want to know is specifically, where snooping in Tear and around Callandor in TFOH? I want real clues if we're supposed to be able to work out who/where he is or is masquerading as.

^^ on a side note the audiobooks are great and well worth a listen, the fact that they take longer is fine by me :) the voices are nothing like I imagine (all my voices have Scottish accents) and I like hearing an alternative ehhhh viewpoint.

Yep loving them, especially for a change and hearing the actors emphasise things I didn't when reading. The slowness irritates me mostly because the debates here outpace the a-books and it frustrates me that even though I am currently on the book before, given work and kids and life, it will take me weeks to get to where I need to be to maybe pick up on what I want to know now.

I think that we all may be looking a bit too much into this. Couldn't "the one who follows after" just be a loyal follwer or Rands? I mean, like a second in command kind of thing... Anyway, on a side note, weaving in the world of dreams isn't the same as weaving in reality, and for most people is not even possible unless you are just that powerful....but that doesn't leave a lot of people out in the books now does it? Haha. I forget what happened to Narishma in the books right now myself, so I don't have a huge foundation to speak on but I always liked him and felt him trustworthy. To be honest, the only question I have ever wanted answered succinctly was what the f**k happened to Asmodean. He was my favorite character >.>.... poor guy. Also, I want to see where Nyneaves newly aquired skill takes her (the ability to cure madness, or at least ones caused by a non-biological source), and what happens with Fain, as he seems to be just as much as an antagonist as the Dark One himself, only instead of the antithesis of the creator, fain is the embodiment of the darkness in men's hearts. Lovely stuff innit?

• 2 weeks later...

The original question is what we think "he will follow after" means. The loyalty thing is hard to beat but I always thought that it meant something different. Jordan makes an effort to show Narishma as young and good looking, sounds kinda like Rand. Narishma takes to learning swordsmanship more than any other Asha'man and is already very good. I believe there is a comment about him being almost as strong in the power as Rand and he is born with the spark, just like Rand. Everyone likes him and trusts him and I think I remember a comment of Min's where she said she thought he was good looking. Therefore I think when Rand dies at the LB he will come back in Narishma body. WE know the Darkside can do that, Ishamael, Lanfear, Aginor, Balthamel, etc. We all assume Rand will die in the LB but also that he will come back to life or get respun out. The only logical way for that to happen so quickly is he is ripped out like Nynaeve did with Birgitte, or similar to the Darkside, although maybe in a Lightside way, he comes back in another. Narishma would be a perfect candidate.

Narishma's similarities to Rand could also just be how he will be the next Champion of Light.

Naroishma is a borderlander (Arafellin). As he says himself, though a cobbler by trade, he already knew the sword better than most Southrons.

I don't think the "follows after" will be that complicated as Rand in Narishma's body. When BVrigitte was ripped out she came back in her own body.

When Rand dies/ is incapacitated/ disappears, Narishma will pick up Callandor because he's already accustomed to handling it (linked and otherwise) and continue using Callandor to win the LB.

Was doing a reread and came across something interesting. The possible slip up with the wards on Callandor was not the only time Rand almost tried to kill(by accident or otherwise) Narishma.

tPoD

A glimpse of a black coat ahead, and his hand shot up, fire streaking, exploding, tearing away the corner where the two hallways met. Rand let the weave subside, but did not let it go. Had he killed him?

"My Lord Dragon," a voice shouted from beyond the torn stonework, "it’s me, Narishma! And Flinn!"

"I didn’t recognize you," Rand lied. "Come here."

"I think maybe your blood’s hot," Flinn’s voice called, "I think may we should wait for everybody to cool down."

"Yes," Rand said slowly. Had he really tried to kill Narishma? He did not think he could claim the excuse of Lews Therin.

That is pretty heavy.

• 2 years later...

I just finished AMoL and got stick by the fact that Narishma had just faded back. I always thought he would follow Rand to Shayol Ghul. After reading this topic I'm quite sure the whole thing about Narishma being "one who follows" was wrong. I didn't remember that "tampered weaves" part.

It's answered in the book. One who follows is Moridin. Physically he clearly "followed" Rand. He was the man holding callandor in Egwenes viewing, (He fits in description as well as Narishma, even better). The statement about tampering of wards is quite strong to be just insane ravaging. As said often in here, Moridin is the only one how might be expected to be able to remove Rands inverted weaves.

He had a good reason not to kill Rand. Maybe he removed the wards just because he could and took callandor. Then decided to make better use of it as a bait. He remake the wards and added his own on top of it to capture Rand, which then took Narishma. Maybe Narishma was later released by other channelers, or Moridin himself so nothing would point to anything else but that Narishma had stumbled on Rands wards.

Archived