DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

meaning behind the book titles?

Southpaw89

The Lord of Chaos isn't really Rand or the Dark One, but chaos itself. It refers to the Forsaken's plans to sow disorder and chaos throughout Randland.

The Dark One is the embodiment of paradox and chaos, destroyer of reason and logic, breaker of balance, the unmaker of order, and the opponent of the Creator, who is the complete opposite.

So therefore this is what the Dark One wants, dissension, fear and disorder throughout all the lands, to destabalise the Pattern.

but surely nothing with the Eye of the World.
Re-read the last chapters.

Often meanings are revealed near the end.

By the way, this is the best title of the books.
Best/Worst/etc would be better determined after reading the book.

I disagree.

You could effectively argue that The Great Hunt and The Shadow Rising are bland titles yet good books. A Memory of Light sounds cool all by itself.

Best/Worst/etc would be better determined after reading the book.

Only if you measure "best/worst title" as "most relevant to the plot" or something else that depends on the actual contents of the book.

I agree with TSC, btw. A Memory of Light is a fantastic title, no matter how the series ends.

• 1 month later...

Gonna drop my $0.02 in since I haven't really seen any mention of it in previous posts...

We learn that heroes "retire" to Tel'aran'rhiod to await their rebirth again; doesn't this sound a lot like heaven?

And then, we have Rand chasing physically into Tel'aran'rhiod after Rahvin, casting balefire to save Aviendha, Mat, and Asmodean in a time when no one uses balefire, not even the Forsaken. So, I'm leaning heavily on this as the basis for the title.

Heaven I guess would be free of evil; and its residents unable to do any kind of wrong.

Evil can exist in Telaranrhiod, and the Heroes can break their precepts.

Maybe Heaven relates to the Creator.

The Creator I take created all One Power weaves before the cycle started. If that was so, the characters were using His/Her tool.

A Memory of Light: The Shadow has triumphed, the Dark One rules supreme and sets to destroy the Pattern, and Rand al'Thor and buddies are dead. So all that remains is but a memory of Light...it is no more.

Yeah i always felt the same about this book title where the shadow triumphs and none but a memory remains.Though to be honest i do not want the series to end that way.

Possibilities for meaning behind the titles:

Eye of the World: Nidhoggr's eye, at the roots of Yggsdrasil

The Great Hunt: Åsgårdsreia, the Wild Hunt - A hunt for the Gjallrhorn to call warriors from all worlds

The Dragon Reborn: Gladsheim's fall, and the rise of Nidhoggr on Yggsdrasil,

The Shadow Rising: Ratatoskr's capture upon Vigrior, Asmodean's messagesDe?

The Fires of Heaven: Bifrost's destruction as Midgar transitions to Asgard, Ratatoskr's death

Lord of Chaos: Nidhoggr gnaws upon the bark of Yggsdrasil, completing the transition to Asgard.

A Crown of Swords: The dual natures of Tyr and Odin are born, their fylgia further defined

Path of Daggers: War between the Aesir and the Vanir begins

Winter's Heart: Fimbulwinter, the harsh winter that precedes Ragnarok

Crossroads of Twilight: The fylgias of Tyr/Balder, Odin/Heimdall and Thor/Fenris are completely defined.

Knife of Dreams: Balder's destructive dreams cast a pall over the world before he becomes one with it

A Memory of Light: At Ragnarok, the light, the dragon Nidhogg reminds Balder of its presence

I've no mastery of Norse mythology, of course, and these are entirely idle speculation, but I find it fascinating reading and making an attempt at correlation.

There is usually a small paragraph, either a poem or a prophecy, that explains the title of the book. Just read it, it's really self-explanatory.
There are at least these exceptions::

-Eye of World, Great Hunt, Gathering Storm; Headers & Footers do not allude to the title

-Path of Dagggers, Knife of Dreams; neither poem or prophecy in Headers/Footers

Archived