DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

meaning behind the book titles?

Southpaw89

as we know, the titles of the 14 WoT books are both metaphorical and/or literal of what is going on. In your opinions, what do each of the titles refer to?

1. Eye of the World- just as it says, it's the place up in the Blight which holds the untainted Saidin

2. The Great Hunt- The Illian Hunt for the Horn of Valere/ Rand and companies search for Fain.

3. The Dragon Reborn- The revealing of The Dragon to the world.

4. The Shadow Rising- not 100% sure

5. The Fires of Heaven- Metaphorical meaning of the wars I'm sure

6. Lord of Chaos- Rand

7. A Crown of Swords- The crown of Illian

8. Path of Daggers- regards the Seanchan if I remember correctly

9. Winter's Heart- Not sure

10. Crossroads of Twilight- No idea

11. Knife of Dreams- no idea

12. The Gathering Storm- Methaphorical of being the darkness growing in The Dragon while the literal meaning being the storm of Tarmon Gaidon beginning

13. Towers of Midnight- Egwenes dreams of the Forsaken

14. A Memory of Light- Metaphorical of darkness finally giving away to a light and better future

in another thread, Mr Ares made the following comment on the same topic that I think addresses the issue of who the LoC is better than I could:

I refer you to KoD Epilogue, where Taim uses the phrase to refer to Reds Bonding Asha'man. I refer you to KoD Prologue, where Semi uses the phrase to refer to her murder of the Imperial family. In PoD and CoS, Graendal and Sammael reflect on orders to spread chaos. I refer you to LoC, where someone privy to the "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" order imprisons Rand in a box - which I consider a funny way to let someone rule. So no, they never use it to refer to Rand. A BWB quote and some very loose interpretation is not enough to overrule the evidence in the books.

the link to the thread : http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/60441-metaphysics-of-the-dark-one/

You need to look at it in context, which you might not have. See here. Randland has an annual holiday where the mighty differ to the lowly and everything is turned on its head. They crown the village fool and name him 'the lord of chaos' or some such.

And, of course, what Southpaw89 said. The DO wanted chaos to rule the land, and Rand was very capable at doing that before his VoG revelation.

BTW I believe WH was more a reference to where Rand was at during the book. Remember his imprisonment near the end of it. And the prophecy that preceded it:

The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter’s heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter’s heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is death.

Also, I think TSR is self evident. The Shadow did rise in that book. Also, I think it might be a clever play on 'He who Comes with Dawn'.

Finally, CoT seemed to be about decisions. At least for some of the superkids.

New Spring- The birth of the Dragon, the start of a new beginning in the world, along with the Boarderland name for late winter.

TEotW- The Eye of the World

TGH- The chase to get back the Horn

TDR- Rand proclaims himself and word that he has come spreads

TSR- The DO and the Forsaken are moving and their power is rising in the world, taking out the White Tower, causing chaos around the world, they're beginning to take a much bigger part in things.

TFoH- Rand's coming and proclaiming himself mixed with the manipulations of the of the DO and the Forsaken cause chaos to spread everywhere like a wild fire.

LoC- Rand creates chaos where ever he is, he's the central cause of all the worlds problems, and by the end he destroys the foundation of the greatest power in the world, along with the DO's command.

ACoS- The crown in Illian along with Rand's power being dangerous for himself.

TPoD- The Seanchan saying which refers to how Rand, Egwene, Perrin, etc are gaining power and must carefully watch their step.

WH- Winter obviously, along with Rand's growing coldness and desire to harden himself and refuse to feel anything.

CoT- The characters are coming to pivotal moments in their lives, a crossroads. Mat is choosing to keep Tuon which could cause problems, Perrin is choosing to fight the Shaido and try to save his wife, Egwene is choosing to enter the Tower alone, Rand is choosing to face the Seanchan himself.

KoD- The characters believe they're winning, believe they have things in control, but they're not facing the largest problems, the Forsaken and the DO. They're blind to the bigger picture.

TGS- The DO is marshaling his forces, things are at their bleakest for everyone, especially Rand.

ToM- The White Tower, the Tower of Ghenji, the Seanchan Towers of Midnight, also the fact that the story has reached it's darkest hour. It's midnight for the DO he's moving, his forces are coming from the Blight, Tarmon Gai'don is now. It's here.

AMoL- In the darkest hour of the darkest day, mankind is facing inhalation from it's enemies, and their only hope is this one speck of hope that Rand can defeat this force, but only if he can remember who he really is.

Brandon Sanderson basically confirmed on Twitter that it was Rand when I began questioning a few months ago

The closest thing I'm aware of to a confirmation is this:
Austin Moore on Twitter - 6 January 2011

Who was the Lord of Chaos that Demandred and Taim both mention? There has been tons of debate.

Brandon

Really? I thought that one was obvious. What's the debate about?

Terez

It's Rand. Look in the BWB re: Feast of Fools.

Austin

Why were Demandred and Taim saying, "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" if it was Rand? Sorry just read through series once so far :(

Terez

Here's a quote for you: The Feast of Fools

Celebrated in Tammaz (in Arad Doman and the Borderlands) or Saven (everywhere else), the exact day varying according to locality. A day in which all order is deliberately inverted; the high perform lowly tasks (running errands, serving at table, etc.) while the low do no work and give orders to their usual superiors. In many villages and towns the most foolish person is given a title such as the Lord/Lady of Unreason/Misrule/Chaos or the King/Queen of Fools. Not an honor sought, but for that one day everyone has to obey whatever orders, however foolish, are given by the chosen one. (Called the Festival of Unreason in Saldaea; the Festival of Fools in Kandor; Foolday in Baerlon and the Two Rivers.)

This is, of course, a long way from a confirmation of anything. Sanderson thinks the answer is "obvious", but doesn't actually bother to tell us what that obvious answer is. Then Terez just parrots the same line of reasoning that my post was against. The uses of the phrase in the series are usually not about Rand at all, and those that might be you need to squint a bit to see it. And even if Sanderson did come out and say "it's Rand", that's not enough if it doesn't address those outstanding points raised against the theory. The books are the canon, not what the author says on Twitter.

Brandon Sanderson basically confirmed on Twitter that it was Rand when I began questioning a few months ago

Austin Moore on Twitter - 6 January 2011

Who was the Lord of Chaos that Demandred and Taim both mention? There has been tons of debate.

Brandon

Terez

Austin

Why were Demandred and Taim saying, "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" if it was Rand? Sorry just read through series once so far :(

Terez

Here's a quote for you: The Feast of Fools

Celebrated in Tammaz (in Arad Doman and the Borderlands) or Saven (everywhere else), the exact day varying according to locality. A day in which all order is deliberately inverted; the high perform lowly tasks (running errands, serving at table, etc.) while the low do no work and give orders to their usual superiors. In many villages and towns the most foolish person is given a title such as the Lord/Lady of Unreason/Misrule/Chaos or the King/Queen of Fools. Not an honor sought, but for that one day everyone has to obey whatever orders, however foolish, are given by the chosen one. (Called the Festival of Unreason in Saldaea; the Festival of Fools in Kandor; Foolday in Baerlon and the Two Rivers.)

This is, of course, a long way from a confirmation of anything. Sanderson thinks the answer is "obvious", but doesn't actually bother to tell us what that obvious answer is. Then Terez just parrots the same line of reasoning that my post was against. The uses of the phrase in the series are usually not about Rand at all, and those that might be you need to squint a bit to see it. And even if Sanderson did come out and say "it's Rand", that's not enough if it doesn't address those outstanding points raised against the theory. The books are the canon, not what the author says on Twitter.

Thank you for that Mr Ares. I myself am on the camp believing the Lord of Chaos is the Dark One. I find it odd that Rand would be called that by the chosen.

It was always my impression that Rand was the LoC. A simple Sheppard boy leading world.

As far a CoT goes, that title is in reference to Mat and Perrin making their choices and the importance of those choices to Rand and the world.

"And it shall come to pass, in the days when the Dark Hunt rides, when the right hand falters and the left hand strays, that mankind shall come to the Crossroads of Twilight and all that is, all that was, and all that will be shall balance on the point of a sword, while the winds of the Shadow grow."

I never had any doubt that Mat was the Left hand and Perrin the right in that passage.

TFoH- Rand's coming and proclaiming himself mixed with the manipulations of the of the DO and the Forsaken cause chaos to spread everywhere like a wild fire.

Doesn't the title simply refer to the fact that Rand was throwing giant fireballs around at the battle of carhien?

Doesn't the title simply refer to the fact that Rand was throwing giant fireballs around at the battle of carhien?

No. No it does not. If you want to get technical it refers to the prophecy at the beginning of the book, which refers to what I described.

There's a little bit more to that conversation. It's by no means a certain confirmation, but still a little more than you've quoted:

Austin Moore

Brandon

Terez

Austin

Why was Demandred and Taim saying, "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" if it was Rand? Sorry just read through series once so far :(

Terez

Here's a quote for you:

The Feast of Fools

Matt Hatch

I've always enjoyed this theory about the Lord of Chaos. It's fun. http://bit.ly/fghYSz

Brandon

That is a good theory for people to be reading.

Terez

YAY. OMG, that theory has been on the rocks for years because of contradicting tour reports.

Terez

Also, your tour quotes were vague enough to allow it but most people didn't see it that way.

Brandon

I didn't say the theory was true, just that you should study it. :) But I would like to see those tour reports.

Terez

Yes, yes. :) Also, your vague(ish) wording: http://bit.ly/gbMIP1 And the contradicting RJ reports: http://bit.ly/fsDp5q

my guesses::

Eye of World, exactly that.

Great Hunt, hunt for Horn of Valere.

Dragon Reborn, he being revealed to the world.

Shadow Rising, servants of the Shadow gaining power.

Fires of Heaven, the battles/fights; especially the fight between Rand & Rahvin.

Lord of Chaos, things becoming more chaotic.

Crown of Swords, crown of Illian.

Path of Daggers, other battles/fights; perhaps also some treachery.

Winter's Heart, winter finally arriving.

Crossroads of Twilight, some choices and things becoming somewhat darker.

Knife of Dreams, maybe idea that dreams could be dangerous; perhaps again some treachery.

Gathering Storm, people getting ready for battle.

Towers of Midnight (have not yet read the book), various characters experience darkness in some form and/or various characters entering some tower/towers.

Memory of Light (yet to be released), possibly things becoming good for the Light-side and/or people remembering the Creator.

There's a little bit more to that conversation. It's by no means a certain confirmation, but still a little more than you've quoted:

Austin Moore

Brandon

Terez

Austin

Why was Demandred and Taim saying, "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" if it was Rand? Sorry just read through series once so far :(

Terez

Here's a quote for you:

The Feast of Fools

Matt Hatch

I've always enjoyed this theory about the Lord of Chaos. It's fun. http://bit.ly/fghYSz

Brandon

That is a good theory for people to be reading.

Terez

YAY. OMG, that theory has been on the rocks for years because of contradicting tour reports.

Terez

Also, your tour quotes were vague enough to allow it but most people didn't see it that way.

Brandon

I didn't say the theory was true, just that you should study it. :) But I would like to see those tour reports.

Terez

Yes, yes. :) Also, your vague(ish) wording: http://bit.ly/gbMIP1 And the contradicting RJ reports: http://bit.ly/fsDp5q

Given that nothing there supports the theory that Rand is the Lord of Chaos, I didn't think it relevant.

The knife Aviendha finds has nothing to do with the title. That knife has virtually nothing to do with the book, it's on screen for one scene, it's not connected to TAR, it has nothing to do with dreams, and it's not the meaning of the title. The title refers to excerpt at the beginning of the book "The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are alike a knife of dreams" which is not referring to the knife that Aviendha found in the cache.

Eye of the World: Maybe it has to do with the WAygates or Shadar Logoth, but surely nothing with the Eye of the World.

The Great Hunt: The hunt to return the Horn of Valere to Illian, to reclaim it from Fain and the Darkfriends, and in general, a hunt against the Shadow itself...for example, the Black Ajah first surface and the hunt for them also begins here

The Dragon Reborn: Rand finds a dragon's egg. Duh.

The Shadow Rising: The Forsaken are on the move now more than ever. Moiraine revealed this at the end of TDR when Ba'alzamon was just Ishamael. And other Darkfriends are surfacing.

The Fires of Heaven: War is imminent now, and the excessive use of balefire between Rand and Rahvin seems to symbolize the burning of the heavens. I also picture Lanfear's scene at the docks as something of a reddish morning, like the early dawn, when the sunlight's piercing light scatters through the mistiness, creating a scene of fire-like appearance in the sky. And just in general, the whole Aiel Waste symbolizes this.

Lord of Chaos: Rand's now becoming increasingly insane, has organized a Black Tower, and after Dumai's Wells, makes the Aes Sedai vow to obey him.

A Crown of Swords: The crown obviously relates to Illian and Rand's encounter there, but also it has to do with symbolism. The crown is jagged, with swords pointing in various directions, perhaps symbolizing the many sides of Rand and his roughness.

Path of Daggers: The characters are now trespassing on more dangerous territories in their lives as Tarmon Gai'don comes ever nearer and each character deals with new forces (e.g. the Seanchan), symbolizing their need for wariness.

Winter's Heart: Well it sure as hell isn't about summer.

Crossroads of Twilight: Crossroads seems to refer to reaching a pivotal point in the character arcs, where each character is coming to a decision or reaching to achieve a goal. Twilight seems to indicate that it is late in their quests, that perhaps it's just before the Dark...i.e. the Shadow's conquest of the world, or Tarmon Gai'don.

Knife of Dreams: Not really too sure about this one. There is a reference in the prologue, but I don't remember how it goes. Aviendha did have some knife on her in Caemlyn. But like most titles, it's more symbolic than tangible. Probably alludes to the sharpness (or danger) of the paths the characters have taken.

The Gathering Storm: The storms of Tarmon Gai'don are growing nearer. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the end is neigh.

The Towers of Midnight: Haven't gotten this far yet, but I'm assuming the Tower of Ghenjei plays a part here, and also the White Tower, and probably the Black Tower, judging by the way the story is heading after KoD and partially through TGS.

My interpretations:

Eye of the World: Self-explanatory

The Great Hunt: Refers to the historical Hunt for the Horn and how Rand and his companions have become a new entry in that legend

The Dragon Reborn: Self-explanatory

The Shadow Rising: Refers to the gains made by the Shadow in this book. Asmodean makes a power play that almost succeeds, at very least he divided the Aiel instead of forming a coalition on Rand's side. Lanfear draws Rand closer to her grasp, Moghedian sets in motion events that lead to the Shadow's recovery of the male a'dam, Darkfriend and Black Ajah plots are set in motion as well. And due to the Shadow's manipulation the White Tower is broken. Even though the main characters win all their battles at the end, the Shadow is the side that truly succeeds.

Fires of Heaven: Refers to the powers Rand is able to unleash now that he has control over the Power, refers to the Rand/Rahvin battle in general

Lord of Chaos: Can't it refer to Rand and the Dark One? They are both equally responsible for chaos reigning.

Crown of Swords: Literally, it refers to the crown of Illian. Metaphorically, it refers to how the power Rand wields also gives him pain.

Path of Daggers: Main characters have to step lightly now that they are rising to the top (Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Elayne), where it is even more dangerous.

Winter's Heart: Refers to Winter coming again and the hardening of Rand's personality

Crossroads of Twilight: At the time right before Tarmon Gaidin the characters are at a point where they must make momentous decisions

Knife of Dreams: Victories for the Light are pointless from context of a coming Apocalypse

The Gathering Storm: Signs of Tarmon Gaidin are clearer, Rand's outlook becomes as bleak as the skies

Towers of Midnight: Refers to the remaining Forsaken from Egwene's dream, and also the darkness in the White Tower, Black Tower, and Tower of Ghenjei

but surely nothing with the Eye of the World.
Re-read the last chapters.

Often meanings are revealed near the end.

By the way, this is the best title of the books.
Best/Worst/etc would be better determined after reading the book.

Archived