DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

male Aes Sedai question

Southpaw89

Dragonmount is nearby TV, but I don't remember reading anywhere that LTT actually had anything to do with creating the island.

Oh, and I found some stuff on Ideal seek from the BWB, though I don't have full quotes... :rolleyes:

a vast sea of ajah

the nature of ajah or Ajah changed

though apparently they were nothing like the present-day Ajah

indicating great changes in the view of ajah

talking about comparing ajah from the AoL to present day ajah. Maybe someone has the full text.

This is what BWB says on the issue of Ajah in AoL.

Almost nothing is known about the organization of Aes Sedai during the Age of Legends, but it is generally accepted that ajah played an important part, though apparently they were nothing like the present-day Ajah. In the surviving twenty-three consecutive pages of a dictionary from circa 50 AB, ajah, in the Old Tongue, is defined as “an informal and temporary group of people gathered together for a common purpose or goal, or by a common set of beliefs.” In thirty-one pages all in the same hand, located in the Royal Library in Cairhien, which appear to be random survivors of a larger manuscript reliably dated from the same period, the organization of Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends, or perhaps their manner of functioning, is described as “a vast sea of ajah (note: word deliberately left untranslated), all constantly shrinking, growing, dividing, combining, melting away only to be reborn in some new guise and begin the process once more.” In the first centuries after the Breaking, the nature of ajah or Ajah changed. We cannot be sure exactly when the change occurred, but another dictionary (circa 200 AB; 219 surviving random pages) defines Ajah as “a sisterhood of Aes Sedai,” and no lowercase form is listed.

When I read that in the BWB it reminded me of high school. They were more like cliques than ajahs. It's funny that the present day AS think that you can't change ajah. It's like "Dude, you joined the football ajah? You can't hang out with the cowboy ajah anymore. You aren't supposed to change ajahs!"

When I read that in the BWB it reminded me of high school. They were more like cliques than ajahs. It's funny that the present day AS think that you can't change ajah. It's like "Dude, you joined the football ajah? You can't hang out with the cowboy ajah anymore. You aren't supposed to change ajahs!"

hahaa true.

I found it to be like University societies. You could join the debating club or Chess club. The ajah being like this, a little "club" if you want.

Each little group had its own "policies" and inclinations where Aes Sedai could join if they had similar views. And perhaps they could join many. And new ajah's were created and disbanded as the world and events changed etc...

This compared to the actual set Green, Red, Blue etc... where it is more of a formalized, concrete thing, much like a state. (IN both America and Australia this time) You joined, and thats where you are. In a particular state.

Point being, the Ajah (capitalized) like a state is formal and a very difinitive thing, unlike ajah, the societies.

Possible example of ajahs in the AoL. The Fateful Concord and the Hundred Compainions.

ajahs in Age of Legends (like another quoted) were temporary.

The beginning sections of the Guide tell how Age of Legend Aes Sedia worked.

ajah in the beginning portion of the Third Age was also temporary.

When Ajah became permanent, the exact time is uncertain.

The Guide also explains that.

Archived