DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most over-rated book in the series

sandoz12

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which book do you consider to be most over-rated in the series?

• Eye of the World
    • The Great Hunt
    • The Dragon Reborn
    • The Shadow Rising
    • Fires of Heaven
    • Lord of Chaos
    • A Crown of Swords
    • The Path of Daggers
    • Winter's Heart
    • Crossroads of Twilight
    • Knife of Dreams
    • The Gathering Storm
    • Towers of Midnight

Anyone that puts Eye of the World as a top book is overrating it. Its just an average book and doesn't have the added complexity of the later books to use as an excuse.

It may not have the complexity of the later books but I still think it is a very good book. What it has is a fantastic, fast-moving plot. It was the perfect way to begin a series. Then the complexity can be introduced - if RJ had tried to put all the complexity in the first book it wouldn't have been anywhere near as compelling or readable. I believe complexity is best built up gradually, layer after layer being gradually added.

My point isn't that it needed that complexity. Both the Great Hunt and Dragon Reborn were quite simple but both worked and were great.

Eye of the World is just another run of the mill fantasy book. Just reading it you'd think WoT was a Shannara clone. Thats my point. The book is just average fantasy. Some of the latter books were slow and stalled, but they at least had the excuse of the complexity of the series. EotW has no excuses for being what it is.

I found it harder to pick in this poll than the other one. For under-rated I went with CoT because everyone is always bashing it. I find that the books people usually tout as the best usually have good reasons why.

I decided on tGH because IMO it really is not as good as any of the other books (yes, including CoT), yet i've seen nobody denouncing it. For what its worth, I haven't really seen anyone singing its praises either.

I voted CoT as the most over-rated because I have actually seen people say it was a decent book heh.

It's a decent book.

I started right before TGS so I read all of those books in a row without stopping. It's certainly not on par with books 4-6 but it's not horrible.

Like I said, it's about perspective. If you started late and got to blow through it, it didn't bother you at all that is was just one great big continuation (sometimes even repeated information) without a single plot-line resolution.

However, when you had to wait over 2 years after WH for that crap and then another 2 for KoD, it made for a very frustrating 4 years.

You just never lose that initial disgust for the book, no matter how many times you re-read it.

Anyone that puts Eye of the World as a top book is overrating it. Its just an average book and doesn't have the added complexity of the later books to use as an excuse.

It may not have the complexity of the later books but I still think it is a very good book. What it has is a fantastic, fast-moving plot. It was the perfect way to begin a series. Then the complexity can be introduced - if RJ had tried to put all the complexity in the first book it wouldn't have been anywhere near as compelling or readable. I believe complexity is best built up gradually, layer after layer being gradually added.

My point isn't that it needed that complexity. Both the Great Hunt and Dragon Reborn were quite simple but both worked and were great.

Eye of the World is just another run of the mill fantasy book. Just reading it you'd think WoT was a Shannara clone. Thats my point. The book is just average fantasy. Some of the latter books were slow and stalled, but they at least had the excuse of the complexity of the series. EotW has no excuses for being what it is.

RJ stated that approximately the first 100 pgs. of EOTW were deliberately given a Lord of the Rings-type feel before moving into its own territory. Perhaps that section can be faulted for seeming like standard fantasy, but Eye of the World quickly clears its own path. Shadar Logoth? Flight Down the Arinelle? Perrin's meeting with Elyas, the Tinkers and the Whitecloaks? Rand's meeting with Loial, explanation of ta'veren? Travelling through the Ways? The Blight?

Also, think of the vast foreshadowing that RJ put in this book with Ishamael/Ba'alzamon, Shadar Logoth, Tower of Ghenjei (along with several other examples). I cannot think of another series-opening fantasy book that was so well developed in terms of creating its own culture, drawing the reader into its world while promising major events to come. To me, Eye of the World's tight editing and fast pacing while creating its own unique world (and magic system) is the best opening book of any fantasy series I've read thus far.

Getting back on topic, I voted TSR as the most overrated in the series. I still think it's a very good book, but lulls for me in some places-specifically, it takes a long time for them to get out of Tear, and the scenes in Tanchico drag a bit early on. I still enjoy reading it though, especially Mat's encounters with the Aelfinn/Eelfinn, not to mention the epic chapters The Road to the Spear/The Dedicated.

I voted CoT as the most over-rated because I have actually seen people say it was a decent book heh.

It's a decent book.

I started right before TGS so I read all of those books in a row without stopping. It's certainly not on par with books 4-6 but it's not horrible.

Like I said, it's about perspective. If you started late and got to blow through it, it didn't bother you at all that is was just one great big continuation (sometimes even repeated information) without a single plot-line resolution.

However, when you had to wait over 2 years after WH for that crap and then another 2 for KoD, it made for a very frustrating 4 years.

You just never lose that initial disgust for the book, no matter how many times you re-read it.

I completely agree that the initial disgust is hard to get over. While I don't hate CoT as much as I initially did, it's the low point in the series because of the dearth of action and of the publication timeframe.

It's a decent book.

I completely agree that the initial disgust is hard to get over. While I don't hate CoT as much as I initially did, it's the low point in the series because of the dearth of action and of the publication timeframe.

Exactly!

EotW was written as a self-contained one off fantasy novel. Most first books of a series are done that way, so if it doesn't take, then you still have a complete story. As for middle books having the excuse of the "complexity of the series", puhlease. After TSR, RJ decided to shift from telling a great story to manufacturing a product line. Those books lulled because he was dragging his feet.

Archived