DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

door way in tear

tyler5972

i dont get who they are ok the can see the outcome in the patter right but what are they and why they start freaking out are they same people that mat meets in the ael waste when he gets the staff and the madalion if not who are they

The grammar in your sentence is not the best, but I think what you're asking is, who are the creatures in the doorframe in Tear and are they the same as the creatures in the doorframe in Rhuidean?

I'll answer with a question: Have you read all the books through Towers of Midnight?

If you haven't: Read and find out.

If you have at least read all of book 4 The Shadow Rising, you'll know that the "Snakes and Foxes" are the creatures called the "Aelfinn and the Eelfinn" (not sure if I'm spelling that exactly right) and that one is snake-like in appearance (the ones in the doorframe in Tear) and one is fox-like in appearance (those in the doorframe in Rhuidean).

They share the same world, but are so different from humans that they may as well be evil (this is all according to Birgitte who explains it all to Perrin in TSR when he's chasing Slayer through the dream world and tracks him to a Tower with no door called the Tower of Ghenjei). Birgitte explains more about them, and the books teach more about them bit by bit until Towers of Midnight. We learn much more about their world in ToM.

The snakes (Aelfinn, I believe) give three answers to three questions. The answers are always true, but not always easy to understand. They often give "trick answers."

The foxes (Eelfinn) give three wishes, but often they require a price to be paid in order to recieve your wishes, and like the snakes, the way they answer your wishes is often suspect and quite odd/confusing unless your requests are very specific. Think of it like asking a Gene for world peace, so the Gene just removes everyone from the world and leaves you alone in it. The Foxes are similar. They give "trick wishes" if you're not specific. Mat paid the price of death by not specifying a price, but because he asked for a way out as one of his three wishes, they let him go (though they hung him on a tree till he died).

Anyway, more would be spoilers if you haven't read past book 4, but there are more answers about this. A lot more. RAFO.

The grammar in your sentence is not the best, but I think what you're asking is, who are the creatures in the doorframe in Tear and are they the same as the creatures in the doorframe in Rhuidean?

I'll answer with a question: Have you read all the books through Towers of Midnight?

If you haven't: Read and find out.

If you have at least read all of book 4 The Shadow Rising, you'll know that the "Snakes and Foxes" are the creatures called the "Aelfinn and the Eelfinn" (not sure if I'm spelling that exactly right) and that one is snake-like in appearance (the ones in the doorframe in Tear) and one is fox-like in appearance (those in the doorframe in Rhuidean).

They share the same world, but are so different from humans that they may as well be evil (this is all according to Birgitte who explains it all to Perrin in TSR when he's chasing Slayer through the dream world and tracks him to a Tower with no door called the Tower of Ghenjei). Birgitte explains more about them, and the books teach more about them bit by bit until Towers of Midnight. We learn much more about their world in ToM.

The snakes (Aelfinn, I believe) give three answers to three questions. The answers are always true, but not always easy to understand. They often give "trick answers."

The foxes (Eelfinn) give three wishes, but often they require a price to be paid in order to recieve your wishes, and like the snakes, the way they answer your wishes is often suspect and quite odd/confusing unless your requests are very specific. Think of it like asking a Gene for world peace, so the Gene just removes everyone from the world and leaves you alone in it. The Foxes are similar. They give "trick wishes" if you're not specific. Mat paid the price of death by not specifying a price, but because he asked for a way out as one of his three wishes, they let him go (though they hung him on a tree till he died).

Anyway, more would be spoilers if you haven't read past book 4, but there are more answers about this. A lot more. RAFO.

I don't actually think ToM tells us anything new about the 'finns. Most everything about them has already been known before, at least everything we now know.

Since you ask, @tyler5972, Mat does get to go to the Tower of Ghenjei in ToM, as was his plan ever since KoD. I'm not sure what you asked about the dice, and I won't elaborate further on what happens there unless you explicitly ask, so as not to spoil you.

@mb, the encyclopedia is updated with ToM material - so you should probably warn folks when you direct them to it.

@mb, the encyclopedia is updated with ToM material - so you should probably warn folks when you direct them to it.
Re-checked the page; most recent update on that page is Gathering Storm.

They updated the book's chapter summaries, but they seem to not yet update the other sections of the site.

Only time I now avoid spoiling is when the original poster (of a thread) specifically requests not to be spoiled.

Only time I now avoid spoiling is when the original poster (of a thread) specifically requests not to be spoiled.

And that is no longer against the rules, but it's still impolite if you understand that someone hasn't read certain books yet. Not without a warning, at least.

I know you don't mind being spoiled (seriously, are you certain you don't want my Kindle ebook? It's been ages since the book came out), but others do.

Think of it like asking a Gene for world peace, so the Gene just removes everyone from the world and leaves you alone in it.

Not quite. The 'finns are unable to affect the "our" world, so they would not be able to remove anyone. What they could do is tossing you out into a world already empty of people, like the one Randgang visits in TGH.

the unwritten rules of politeness are difficult for me to understand, especially when they are different from the written rules... :unsure:

It's probably not worth the effort. I gave up on trying to figure them out a long time ago.

the unwritten rules of politeness are difficult for me to understand, especially when they are different from the written rules... :unsure:

It's probably not worth the effort. I gave up on trying to figure them out a long time ago.

The problem with unwritten rules is precisely that they are unwritten. Makes life very difficult for us poor bewildered Aspies. But I won't take that any further right now or this thread will be off the rails and hurtling downhill into the brambles.

Archived