DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gateways & Tying Off

FossMaNo1

So, I know BS has stated that he got direction directly from RJ's notes that the Asha'man with Perrin could not tie off the weaves for the Gateways they made--the Asha'man had to sustain them. But, I just finished A Crown of Swords and at the end of the novel during the attack on Illian, Rand tied off his weaves that made Gateways. He even untied them!

What gives?

So, I know BS has stated that he got direction directly from RJ's notes that the Asha'man with Perrin could not tie off the weaves for the Gateways they made--the Asha'man had to sustain them. But, I just finished A Crown of Swords and at the end of the novel during the attack on Illian, Rand tied off his weaves taht made Gateways. He even untied them!

What gives?

Just because Rand knows how to do it, doesn't neccesarily mean that Grady and Neald do.

Obviously not being able to tie off gateway weaves remedied some issue in the plot - perhaps some tension was needed or conflict. I suppose in a fantasy work this ability to simply conjure up rules that create excitement and move a plot along are inevitable and in a work this expansive even more so. Traveling has been particularly subjected to this - sometimes it helps the plot to be able to get somewhere quickly, sometimes it requires that it take some time or be impossible so Jordan and now Sanderson just make it up as they go along. A good example are the Aha'man with Perrin suddenly too tired to channel gateways and as a result, Perrin was forced to keep his army of soldiers and refugees together, an essential element for the coming plot twists.

So, I know BS has stated that he got direction directly from RJ's notes that the Asha'man with Perrin could not tie off the weaves for the Gateways they made--the Asha'man had to sustain them. But, I just finished A Crown of Swords and at the end of the novel during the attack on Illian, Rand tied off his weaves that made Gateways. He even untied them!

What gives?

RJ changed his mind. It was a plot inconsistency before Brandon took over.

Another inconsistency involving Grady is that he mentioned to Perrin in KoD that saidin was clean and apparently he and Perrin have forgotten because much is made of this in ToM when he mentions it all over again, apparently for the first time, and Perrin discusses it with Galad, etc.

Probably an issue with Brandon writing in that scene and nobody (maria/ Harriet, et al) picking up the continuity error.

Another inconsistency involving Grady is that he mentioned to Perrin in KoD that saidin was clean and apparently he and Perrin have forgotten because much is made of this in ToM when he mentions it all over again, apparently for the first time, and Perrin discusses it with Galad, etc.

Probably an issue with Brandon writing in that scene and nobody (maria/ Harriet, et al) picking up the continuity error.

I just finished a re-read of TOM, and I don't recall seeing that. There are some people that learn it for the first time, but not Perrin.

I just finished a re-read of TOM, and I don't recall seeing that. There are some people that learn it for the first time, but not Perrin.

Maybe they fixed it in a later edition - or maybe you should read chapter 10 again. The chapter header might refresh your memory.

Personnaly, I thought Grady's talk to Perrin about the taint in KoD or CoT (can't remember which it was) was vague and Grady never came out and said he was sure the Taint was gone, just that he thought it may be and he never really gave Perrin to much detail on it. So, in ToM, I read it as Grady confirming that it was gone to Perrin.

I do, however, think that I remember somewhere that Brandon acknowledged this as a mistake in ToM and that it would be edited in the paper back.

I'm in KoD right now and just happened to read this last night

(Grady- KoD- "As If The World Were Fog") "Just a little tired my Lord...All this Traveling we've been doing lately.. Well, I couldn't have held the gateway open long enough for all those soldiers to ride through yesterday. That's why I've taken to tying them off."

Sammael has a quote somewhere, when he was scattering the Shaido, that tying off a gateway is dangerous, because it is trying to break down and close. This is why the Shaido were cut off from each other as the gates close. Not something a responsible channeler should be doing.

Edit:

Maybe they fixed it in a later edition - or maybe you should read chapter 10 again. The chapter header might refresh your memory.

I was focussed on the Ashamen acknowledging their humanity when reading that, and skipped the revelation aspect of what they were saying, because I was certain that they'd told Perrin already. So, yeah, ignore the above.

Sammael has a quote somewhere, when he was scattering the Shaido, that tying off a gateway is dangerous, because it is trying to break down and close. This is why the Shaido were cut off from each other as the gates close. Not something a responsible channeler should be doing.

ACoS, chapter 40.

Wow, that scene must have been entirely rewritten for later versions (the original is Graendal PoV, who supposes that the gateways closing on Shaido are due to Sammy lightly tying them off, with no indication if they're made with Saidin/Saidar/both--recall in original version Gran and Sam are linked, Sam leading).

ACoS, chapter 40.

Wow, that scene must have been entirely rewritten for later versions (the original is Graendal PoV, who supposes that the gateways closing on Shaido are due to Sammy lightly tying them off, with no indication if they're made with Saidin/Saidar/both--recall in original version Gran and Sam are linked, Sam leading).

No, my details were a bit off. It is Graendal that mentions them being tied off, but doesn't say "lightly".

"Unlike the other, Sammael had not simply knotted this web so that it would fall apart eventually" is how mine reads, and I interpreted that as a knotted web would fall apart eventually.

Archived