DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How was it that Rand had so much power in VoG?

alykyn

We know he wasn't using TP at Maradon, one of the Asha'man that was in the room said something along the lines of "so many weaves, I can't even keep track of them"

Correct. But Rand purists don't think Maradon was unusual power wise. You kill 1 fade and an entire fist of trollocs can die. And knowing the weaves LTT knows and the ways to weave them is going to be amazing for efficiency. Aes Sedai are "half-trained children" after all. So Rand is now a channeler for the ages. If he can't slaughter an army of near-mindless trollocs, he'd be pretty disappointing.

I don't believe there's any evidence that LTT couldn't have done something similar. And he may have an angreal with him. Would seem rather foolish not to since most of the forsaken have at least a small one. Maybe he found the Fat Man =)

The evidence that Rand has gained special powers is apparent:

Maradon and Naeffs decription

Rand's children

Nyaneve search of his mind

13 AS linked cannot hold Rand (Asmodean - 13 weakest AS in the Tower can hold you or ANY MAN)

Rand has moved beyond LTT capabilities

Bold items have absolutely NO proof. I don't what 13 AS can or cannot do but we do know that in FM he was cutoff from OP. We are not discussing if he has gained "special" powers because we all know he has (something akin to light power). Debate is about his strength in One Power? Naeff saw "weaves" obviously made up of Saidin. So is Rand much much stronger in OP now is the only thing that matters as for as Maradon is concerned.

The capabilties of 13 AS are easily known. Asmodean and Lanfear both confirmed them, that 13 linked can hold any man.

And what did the greatest channeler ever think of the capabalities of 13 AS? LTT: "How could any man face thirteen?" "The thought made Lews Therin surge again, screaming".

"Thirteen to link and weave a shield no man could break, and two to bind him. Thirteen to...Lews Therin fled screaming".

Lanfear to Rahvin: "Would you still be complacent if if those untutored children put a circle of thirteen around you"?

Asmodean: Thirteen women who can barely channel could overpower most men, linked. The thirteen weakest women in the Tower could overpower you or any man, and barely breath hard".

There is the definite proof of the capabilities of 13 women linked.

Rand did not come wielding the Power to the Tower, otherwise Egwene would be certain that 13 could hold him.

Egwene: "She met his eyes. Don't make me do anything I would regret, his expression seemed to say"..."I doubt we could have held him. There's something about him. I...I had the sense he could have broken that shield without a struggle".

Naeff: "I've never seen so many weaves at once. I can't track them all. He's a storm of Light and streams of Power!".

I believe Naeff was at Dumai's Wells, where hundred's of Asha'man were channeling. Similar description when Rand was using Callandor.

Rand using Callandor: "He had no idea what it was, only racing flows he could not begin to count connected him to the mass".

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egwene on the number of weaves:

"Working two flows at once was far more than twice as hard as working one of the same magnitude, and working three much more than twice again working two. He had been weaving a dozen...She very much feared he could handle her and Elayne both like kittens".

We know he wasn't using TP at Maradon, one of the Asha'man that was in the room said something along the lines of "so many weaves, I can't even keep track of them"

Correct. But Rand purists don't think Maradon was unusual power wise. You kill 1 fade and an entire fist of trollocs can die. And knowing the weaves LTT knows and the ways to weave them is going to be amazing for efficiency. Aes Sedai are "half-trained children" after all. So Rand is now a channeler for the ages. If he can't slaughter an army of near-mindless trollocs, he'd be pretty disappointing.

I don't believe there's any evidence that LTT couldn't have done something similar. And he may have an angreal with him. Would seem rather foolish not to since most of the forsaken have at least a small one. Maybe he found the Fat Man =)

Naeff is a new and average channeler. Most channelers are amazed weaving 2 things at once. In chapter 7 of TSR Rand lifts and shields both Elayne and Egwene at once, he also lifts various things aroudn the room, sets them on fire, and puts the fires out all at the same time. And that was before he really worked on his channeling at all, and didn't break a sweat doing it. Rand has always been a particularly agile channeler, and Naeff had never seen him channel before at all. He could only compare Rand to the sheep at the BT.

And at DW the Ashaman were only really using 1 weave, the rolling ring of fire. There was just a lot of them doing it at once to create all the destruction.

Rand's children

Are not even conceived yet, and being the Dragon Reborn is not genetic, so there's no reason to think anything related to that will effect his children. They'll be special for their own reasons.

The light in Rand's mind mirrored his taint, it protected him from the taint. Zero evidence it does anything for his channeling.

13 AS linked cannot hold Rand (Asmodean - 13 weakest AS in the Tower can hold you or ANY MAN)

Where does he break a shield held by 13? In the tower Egwene THOUGHT that SEEMED like he could. He never even tested the shield for the Aes Sedai to have any idea how much power he had, and even if he did Egwene, who's PoV it was, wasn't holding the shield so she wouldn't know. He strode into the room not caring that he was shielded, that doesn't mean he could break it. It just means he was acting like he could. Very different.

This isn't proof of anything, this is an opinion. Unless you're referring to the quote in VoG where he says he draws as much as LTT did to create dragonmount then drew more. But Rand still had the Choden Kal at that moment, so there's no reason he couldn't draw more.

All these arguments have been so easily explained away over and over again.

Naeff is a new and average channeler. Most channelers are amazed weaving 2 things at once. In chapter 7 of TSR Rand lifts and shields both Elayne and Egwene at once, he also lifts various things aroudn the room, sets them on fire, and puts the fires out all at the same time. And that was before he really worked on his channeling at all, and didn't break a sweat doing it. Rand has always been a particularly agile channeler, and Naeff had never seen him channel before at all. He could only compare Rand to the sheep at the BT.

And at DW the Ashaman were only really using 1 weave, the rolling ring of fire. There was just a lot of them doing it at once to create all the destruction.

Rand's children

Are not even conceived yet, and being the Dragon Reborn is not genetic, so there's no reason to think anything related to that will effect his children. They'll be special for their own reasons.

The light in Rand's mind mirrored his taint, it protected him from the taint. Zero evidence it does anything for his channeling.

Where does he break a shield held by 13? In the tower Egwene THOUGHT that SEEMED like he could. He never even tested the shield for the Aes Sedai to have any idea how much power he had, and even if he did Egwene, who's PoV it was, wasn't holding the shield so she wouldn't know. He strode into the room not caring that he was shielded, that doesn't mean he could break it. It just means he was acting like he could. Very different.

This isn't proof of anything, this is an opinion. Unless you're referring to the quote in VoG where he says he draws as much as LTT did to create dragonmount then drew more. But Rand still had the Choden Kal at that moment, so there's no reason he couldn't draw more.

All these arguments have been so easily explained away over and over again.

See above. Btw, Naeff is a full fledged Asha'man.

So? full fledged Aes Sedai didn't know travelling, how to make ter'angreal or heartsone, or how to unravel weaves! Furthermore, any "full fledged" Asha'man has been channeling for two years max. They are experts and scholars of nothing. Wouldn't you be surprised if Naeff just stood coolly, not surprised or at awe in the least, given what Rand knows and how strong he is? Naeff is stunned seeing the most powerful channeler ever, push himself to the limit. When _every_ channeler at the BT is weaker and far less skilled, and most are significantly weaker, there's no way Naeff would have any concept of that level of skill/power.

So in response he makes an appropriate an understandable, hyperbolic statement to convey his awe.

Rand notices several time that both Taim and Logain are nearly as strong as him, so I seriously doubt that Naeff has only experienced people who are significantly weaker than Rand. Just another proof that he's grown stronger since VoG, do you not think?

So? full fledged Aes Sedai didn't know travelling, how to make ter'angreal or heartsone, or how to unravel weaves! Furthermore, any "full fledged" Asha'man has been channeling for two years max. They are experts and scholars of nothing. Wouldn't you be surprised if Naeff just stood coolly, not surprised or at awe in the least, given what Rand knows and how strong he is? Naeff is stunned seeing the most powerful channeler ever, push himself to the limit. When _every_ channeler at the BT is weaker and far less skilled, and most are significantly weaker, there's no way Naeff would have any concept of that level of skill/power.

So in response he makes an appropriate an understandable, hyperbolic statement to convey his awe.

I don't keep harping on this point, here it is though, Naeff: "I've NEVER seen so many weaves at once. I CAN'T TRACK THEM ALL".

The author's decription: "Light and Power exploded from the Dragon Reborn. He was like AN ENTIRE ARMY OF CHANNELERS."

And if you want further explaination, see my previous post.

Rand notices several time that both Taim and Logain are nearly as strong as him, so I seriously doubt that Naeff has only experienced people who are significantly weaker than Rand. Just another proof that he's grown stronger since VoG, do you not think?

I think the fact is Rand is a lot more skilled at the power now..he has the experience of a 400 years old Aes Sedai from the golden age of Aes Sedai compared to the the less than 10 year combined knowledge of Logain and Taim at an inferior age.

If a samurai and I have the same physical strength..it is not a stretch to say that with a sword anything he does will be a lot more spectacular than anything I can ever hope to do.

I don't keep harping on this point, here it is though, Naeff: "I've NEVER seen so many weaves at once. I CAN'T TRACK THEM ALL".

The author's decription: "Light and Power exploded from the Dragon Reborn. He was like AN ENTIRE ARMY OF CHANNELERS."

Thank God. Imagine if someone had said how lame Rand was! I bet you will like, yo Rand lost all the power yo!

People have a way of confusing raw power with skill.Just because you can hold more power doesn't mean you cannot get owned by a person "weaker" than you.

People have a way of confusing raw power with skill.Just because you can hold more power doesn't mean you cannot get owned by a person "weaker" than you.

Wasn't referring to the skill, but rather the argument that Naeff hadn't experienced anybody as strong as Rand in the One Power. There is no doubt that his dexterity with the One Power has grown significant as well.

[sarcasm Alert]

Isn't it great to see people disagree with the written text in the books? I suppose some people think they know more about the books and a scene in question than does the author of that scene and the books.

[sarcasm Alert over]

Wasn't referring to the skill, but rather the argument that Naeff hadn't experienced anybody as strong as Rand in the One Power. There is no doubt that his dexterity with the One Power has grown significant as well.

Well Naeff never commented on sheer amount of OP Rand was holding.

Thank God. Imagine if someone had said how lame Rand was! I bet you will like, yo Rand lost all the power yo!

Don't be so obtuse.

Btw, people can lose OP strength various ways (we know of two ways thus far: severed and healed by the opposite sex and the Snakes and Foxes draining).

At Maradon, Rand alone faced against an Army of Trollocs many times the size of the 100,000 that Rand and 20+ other channelers barely managed to defeat in KoD. Actually one half-man got through and nearly killed Rand.

KoD battle against 100,000:

Rand, his LTT persona has taken over = LTT of AoL.

Logain, "almost" as strong as Rand = Demandred, Aginor strength level.

According to Aes Sedai in Salidar, Logain's Power strength is immense: "if only five had being holding his shield, he might have".

Nyaneve with angreal = stronger to much stronger than Lanfear. Even without an angreal, Nynaeve is only behind Lanfear, Alivia, Cyndane, and Grandael in strength. Sharina has the potential to be stronger.

Cadusane with angreal = possibly as strong as Lanfear, also has 300 years of Power experience.

Alivia = possibly as strong as Lanfear, if not as at least as strong as Cyndane. Decribed as being "considerably stronger" than Nynaeve. Alivia has 400 years of experience BEING A WEAPON. She probalby knows more killing weaves than anyone else.

Narishma = he is a particularly strong Asha'man and so far the strongest after Rand and Logain among the males in that group.

And the many other channelers who were there.

Compare that to what Rand alone did in Maradon.

They barely managed to kill off the 100,000 and one got through to Rand. Rand at Maradon = massacred the Trolloc Army.

Don't be so obtuse.

Btw, people can lose OP strength various ways (we know of two ways thus far: severed and healed by the opposite sex and the Snakes and Foxes draining).

At Maradon, Rand alone faced against an Army of Trollocs many times the size of the 100,000 that Rand and 20+ other channelers barely managed to defeat in KoD. Actually one half-man got through and nearly killed Rand.

KoD battle against 100,000:

Rand, his LTT persona has taken over = LTT of AoL.

Logain, "almost" as strong as Rand = Demandred, Aginor strength level.

According to Aes Sedai in Salidar, Logain's Power strength is immense: "if only five had being holding his shield, he might have".

Nyaneve with angreal = stronger to much stronger than Lanfear. Even without an angreal, Nynaeve is only behind Lanfear, Alivia, Cyndane, and Grandael in strength. Sharina has the potential to be stronger.

Cadusane with angreal = possibly as strong as Lanfear, also has 300 years of Power experience.

Alivia = possibly as strong as Lanfear, if not as at least as strong as Cyndane. Decribed as being "considerably stronger" than Nynaeve. Alivia has 400 years of experience BEING A WEAPON. She probalby knows more killing weaves than anyone else.

Narishma = he is a particularly strong Asha'man and so far the strongest after Rand and Logain among the males in that group.

And the many other channelers who were there.

Compare that to what Rand alone did in Maradon.

They barely managed to kill off the 100,000 and one got through to Rand. Rand at Maradon = massacred the Trolloc Army.

Really the KoD fight proves my point. Logain would have been as useless as all the females you mentioned, trying to throw fireballs and exhausting themselves killing 1 trolloc at a time, had he not started copying the death gate weave that Rand used. And that was just memory seepage. Now Rand has everything LTT knows, no channeling sickness, and the Zen attitude to use it calmly.

You should re-read that scene in KoD.

Logain and the rest of the channelers were already using weaves such as fireballs that were killing more than just 1 trolloc each at a time.

Therefore, KoD does not prove your point.

Logain and the rest of the channelers were already using weaves such as fireballs that were killing more than just 1 trolloc each at a time.

I was being dramatic. It would depend on their size, but I consider fireballs to be fairly useless. Seems like it would be more efficient to do a flame wall or something. But no matter what you think of fireballs, clearly Logain agreed that Death Gates were much more efficient at killing, so yes it does prove my point. LTT (now Rand) knows things current-age channelers could only dream of.

LTT (now Rand) knows things current-age channelers could only dream of.

None here are denying that.

In fact, that is the reason that Rand after VoG has become much more skillful and even more powerful than he was before his experience in VoG.

KoD does prove the point that LTT knows how to fight armies of Trollocs..Rand/LTT is the only one among all the forces in the Light who knows the specialized weaves.

Just wanted to add something:

An average Asha'man is one born without spark. He "learns" to channel. All "dragons" (true or false) are leagues ahead of ANY other Asha'man for that simple reason. Now this is only pure strength. Fighting is not always about strength. Logain, while he can channel, hardly has scratched the surface of things one can do with OP. How could he possibly know anything. Making fireball or lightning is basic, all channelers can do if not very well. Now that brings us to Asha'man. Taim is "teaching" them or one taught by Taim. So you must ask yourself, what does Taim know? Or how much he has revealed to an average Asha'man? Even if some of them are stronger than others, they don't know what to do with that kind of power. And that brings us to Rand. Rand remembers everything LTT could have mastered in 400 years, when all the weaves were already common knowledge. Look at the simple example of fire lotus. Fireball and Fire lotus are both fire weaves but fire lotus is clearly more destructive yet not one Asha'man knew it. Funny thing is that it was not even complicated or anything. Many learned just looking at it few times. So an Asha'man with 1/10th of Rand's strength in OP probably will deliver 1/50th-1/100th of damage. Puts a perspective over this "army of channelers" thing, right? By the way, the Rank Asha'man gives the impression that these "guys" are somehow strong or better. They aren't. Better than a soldier perhaps but pit them against an average Aes Sedai in "strength" and most will not major up. Narishma is bonded to an Aes Seda and she is stronger than him and she is not even a remarkable Aes Sedai! It would be silly to assume that they can just find 100s of very strong channelers just lying around before the war. Red Ajah was good at finding men who will get noticed.While asha'man add up, none of them are remarkable in pure strength, though many have found their niches (healing, gate, weapon forging...)

Perfect example will be fight between Cyndane (weaker than Lanfear) and Alivia (stronger than Lanfear thanks to angreal). Only thing we know for sure is that fight was a stalemate and Alivia came out badly injured. Just goes to show how awful modern day channelers are compared to one from AoL.

Since people are counting, I just wanted to add this perspective.

The Cyndane and Alivia fight, while it proves raw strength is not everything, you also have to add the fact that Cyndane most likely reversed her weaves, so that Alivia couldn't see what she was weaving, and therefore couldn't defend against it. Not really something that matters in a battle such as Maradon or the one in KoD.

As for the fight in KoD, pretty much all the Asha'mans picks up on Rands über AoL weaves fairly quick and starts to use them quite effectively.

Regarding the strength of the Asha'man, several times it's stated that men are on average stronger than women in the One Power, just like they are in physical strength. The mere fact that a huge part of the Asha'man seems strong enough to travel kinda proves this point, quite few of the Aes Sedai are capable of this.

The Cyndane and Alivia fight, while it proves raw strength is not everything, you also have to add the fact that Cyndane most likely reversed her weaves, so that Alivia couldn't see what she was weaving, and therefore couldn't defend against it. Not really something that matters in a battle such as Maradon or the one in KoD.

Alivia had a ter'angreal that made reverse weaving thing pointless.

As for the fight in KoD, pretty much all the Asha'mans picks up on Rands über AoL weaves fairly quick and starts to use them quite effectively.

Regarding the strength of the Asha'man, several times it's stated that men are on average stronger than women in the One Power, just like they are in physical strength. The mere fact that a huge part of the Asha'man seems strong enough to travel kinda proves this point, quite few of the Aes Sedai are capable of this.

All? A good number did pick on fire lotus and used it badly (close to building) but death gates was picked by Logain and probably one more guy (and no woman). Yet, their killing power just went off the roof the moment they learned fire lotus. I am not sure who said that they barely won in KoD but from what I remember, they won very easily. Only reason it was "close" fight because they were inside a house and trollocs basically jumped on them. If I recall correctly, fire lotus is not mentioned after KoD. Asha'man along with Perrin didn't use it once and nor did the Asha'man in Maradon. Ofcourse I am not sure. They might have in background and it's not just mentioned but I doubt it's the case. And except Rand/Logain and one or two more guys, I doubt anyone knows how to weave deathgates, a weave Rand should have made common knowledge.

I agree that on an average men are stronger than women but a good number of Aes Sedai in WT probably were born with Spark unlike men (I doubt there are even 3 dozen with spark). We don't know for sure that huge part of asha'man can travel. We don't even have sufficient perspective on women to say how many can travel but lets assume Moiraine, Siuan(in past), Katrine....can travel unaided. Now these women have pitful strength in OP compared to Rand.

Alivia had a ter'angreal that made reverse weaving thing pointless.

The ter'angreal that Alivia had only helps with detecting channeling, it does not help her seeing the actual weaves as they are being made. I think it was Graendal who used it on Verin as well.

All? A good number did pick on fire lotus and used it badly (close to building) but death gates was picked by Logain and probably one more guy (and no woman). Yet, their killing power just went off the roof the moment they learned fire lotus. I am not sure who said that they barely won in KoD but from what I remember, they won very easily. Only reason it was "close" fight because they were inside a house and trollocs basically jumped on them. If I recall correctly, fire lotus is not mentioned after KoD. Asha'man along with Perrin didn't use it once and nor did the Asha'man in Maradon. Ofcourse I am not sure. They might have in background and it's not just mentioned but I doubt it's the case. And except Rand/Logain and one or two more guys, I doubt anyone knows how to weave deathgates, a weave Rand should have made common knowledge.

I agree that on an average men are stronger than women but a good number of Aes Sedai in WT probably were born with Spark unlike men (I doubt there are even 3 dozen with spark). We don't know for sure that huge part of asha'man can travel. We don't even have sufficient perspective on women to say how many can travel but lets assume Moiraine, Siuan(in past), Katrine....can travel unaided. Now these women have pitful strength in OP compared to Rand.

It's pointed out so many times that a waste majority of the sisters aren't strong enough to travel on their own, yet there has to be a rather large amount of Asha'man that are capable of doing it. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to have all those recruiting parties out and at the same time serve in combat in various places.

And of course those at Maradon or those with Perrin didn't know Fire lotus or any of the other fancy weaves, none of them have been taught those weaves, those in Maradon came straight from The Black Tower to serve Ituralde. As for the two with Perrin, they haven't been close to any other male channelers since ACoS.

Archived